Jet Skiier Sucked Under By Cargo Ship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I disagree with their analysis here. The reason it went under is because his lanyard got pulled out (because he hit the side of the ship, or tried to use his lanyard arm to push away from the ship). Because of that he lost momentum THEN got sucked under.

Full video is near the bottom of the article.

Of course the real reason is the stupidity of the jet skiier. Lucky boy.

[Warning there is one F bomb at the very end]

https://www.marineinsight.com/video...GPLr6By5BWzXsu8kZFCSGpQxgIwSwdyviGzVq3fCUgR9o

Last edited:
The level of utter stupidity on display here is monumental. Biblical. Galactic.

This idiot was in mortal peril in the opening frame of this video, and then just doubled down every two seconds until what should have been the moment of his death.

Stay. Away. From. Ships.

Awesome display of stupidity. Amazing display of personal camera technology, however...

Well, he tried as hard as he could to die.

And, then found one more thing he wasn't any good at. :)

I got a hijack warning from my malware software, wouldn't allow me to open the video site.

I'm on mobile phone. Did you open it from within the article?

HaHa looks like the kids today have more guts and bravado that any of the above posters.
But they don’t wanna admit it haha again .....

More guts than this guy?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 100
I've also come across windsurfers who force right of way by intentionally going across my bow.

Have no video of it, but still as clear as the day it happened back in 2017. Headed up the St. Mary's river to the Soo Lock to enter Lake Superior. There's a 900' +/- ore carrier ahead of me as we come to the top of Sugar Island. He's constrained by traffic ahead waiting to get into the lock. So he's moving about 1 to 2 knots against a stiff current, trying to hold position in a very narrow channel dynamited out of the stone river bottom. Slow forward motion with some rudder and the occasional shot from the bow thruster.

Then the village idiots on SUPs (stand up paddleboard) paddle out from the park, down the side of the ship and under the fantail. An urgent call is made to the USCG, who arrive in record time to scatter the village idiots.

Had been having an exchange with the ship's captain about overtaking him after the turn, when the SUPs appeared. He handled it amazingly well considering his options were to end up on the rocks or grind up some idiots.

I was hoping one of them would get washed ashore by a bow thruster shot. :devil:

Ted

I disagree with their analysis here. The reason it went under is because his lanyard got pulled out (because he hit the side of the ship, or tried to use his lanyard arm to push away from the ship). Because of that he lost momentum THEN got sucked under.

Full video is near the bottom of the article.

Of course the real reason is the stupidity of the jet skiier. Lucky boy.

[Warning there is one F bomb at the very end]

https://www.marineinsight.com/video...GPLr6By5BWzXsu8kZFCSGpQxgIwSwdyviGzVq3fCUgR9o

Didn't see the sucking under part. Yeah, he got dumped in the water, but not sucked under AFAICT.

Physics, the silent killer.

Lucky for him they didn't have a bit more way on, he might have surfaced in their wake instead. Or maybe not...

Bank suction usually happens when a deep draft vessel is moving quickly in a narrow channel. Does not usually happen in open water. The reason it happens is that the boat displaces water and so is drawn into the side of the channel because water is trying to get back to fill in where the water was displaced. The QE 2 hit bottom in New England years back because it was moving fast through shallow water and the ship actually got sucked down by the fast moving water beneath the hull and so close to the bottom. It is sort of a venturi effect if I am explaining it correctly. So it was drawing more water than usual. They found bottom paint on a rock that was deeper than the normal draft of the ship.

Unfortunately, he has survived to breed...assuming he can find a woman dumb or drunk enough.

I think I saw this guy in a crowded Florida, Texas, or Arizona bar video last week. I’m sure he will be there again this week bragging and laughing whilst partying closely with his close buds.

I think I saw this guy in a crowded Florida, Texas, or Arizona bar video last week. I’m sure he will be there again this week bragging and laughing whilst partying closely with his close buds.

Unfortunately probably true...

Darwin Award candidate?

No. His reward will be the riches he earns from all the YouTube views. Including all of ours.

It's a brave (stupid?) new world. This is how some people earn a living.

Bottom effect is squat and the bank suction can happen between a small vessel and a large vessel...happens all the time when small boats are brought next to moving ships....coxswain must be very careful if the ship is moving fast......maybe not called bank suction but the effect is the same.

Family members for years have been after me to get a Sea doo or jet ski. They think it would be fun to have one as a tender for my Sailboat and trawler - I have steadfastly refused, in my 50 plus years of boating it has been my observation that the operators brains fall out the moment you sit down on a jet ski. We have seen to many close calls and couple that didn’t end well on these mindless machines. After many years the First mate even agrees with me.

+1. I once got a bit too close (200 feet) to a freighter on the St. Lawrence in our 56,000# DeFever. How did I know I had been too close? When we had cleared the stern of the freighter we were sucked into its wash, sideways. A bit disconcerting.
The level of utter stupidity on display here is monumental. Biblical. Galactic.

This idiot was in mortal peril in the opening frame of this video, and then just doubled down every two seconds until what should have been the moment of his death.

Stay. Away. From. Ships.

HaHa looks like the kids today have more guts and bravado that any of the above posters.
But they don’t wanna admit it haha again .....

I'm guessing you don't know what a lot of us did or do for a living.

"Group9" isn't the name of some insurance company or bank I worked in. :)

Last edited:
Family members for years have been after me to get a Sea doo or jet ski. They think it would be fun to have one as a tender for my Sailboat and trawler - I have steadfastly refused, in my 50 plus years of boating it has been my observation that the operators brains fall out the moment you sit down on a jet ski. We have seen to many close calls and couple that didn’t end well on these mindless machines. After many years the First mate even agrees with me.

Agree. Every time we see a pack zooming in, here come the “smokers”. Reference Waterworld. Mindless is apt. Also annoying, noisy, endless, hazardous. Have had a lot of nice anchorages become disturbing as they can’t seem to think of anything better to do than circle repeatedly around the anchored boats.

...The QE 2 hit bottom in New England years back because it was moving fast through shallow water and the ship actually got sucked down by the fast moving water beneath the hull and so close to the bottom. It is sort of a venturi effect if I am explaining it correctly. So it was drawing more water than usual. ...

This is the venturi effect. They actually used this effect to get the first of the super large cruise ships past a bridge between the shipyard and the sea. Somewhere in Finland I think. Even though the ship had retractable smokestacks, they still had to travel a speed though the channel under this bridge to suck the ship down far enough to get it under the bridge.

https://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/11/..., but the vessel,the bridge, the captain said.

Bottom effect is squat and the bank suction can happen between a small vessel and a large vessel...happens all the time when small boats are brought next to moving ships....coxswain must be very careful if the ship is moving fast......maybe not called bank suction but the effect is the same.

This is the same thing only between two boats/ships vs. a ship and the bottom. Venturi effect by the water passing between the two vessels.

Guy has been given a second chance in life. I do hope he uses it wisely.
He could have just as easily been sucked into the screw and then spit out in little tiny pieces, water craft and body parts.
I grew up on Lake St Claire and was taught a healthy respect for ore carriers.
That captain had no idea where that water craft and driver was or wasn't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom