Shopping for a new dinghy and outboard. What would you get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as the boat itself goes, I've narrowed that down to an AB Aluminum / Hypalon RIB job......

So, if you were shopping for a brand new outboard, either a 9.9 or a 15, what would you get and why? Electric or pull start? What about EFI? It looks like most models are carbureted, but a few have EFI. .
IMHO you have very good taste! Though I presently have an Achillies/Hypalon, were I to change, it would either be an AB or a Nautica. Engine? I have a carborated Honda but next OB will have EFI. (Fewer problems on long periods of non use.) Don't ignore the Yamahas (EFI) as tons of working skippers in Alaska swear by them.

You won't need any luck on whatever you choose as you have already demonstrated "good judgement," :oldman:

Attachments

• Achillies:Honda 20.jpg
    Achillies:Honda 20.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Have you been launching and retrieving the current dinghy from the davits? I have a broadly similar arrangement. You may find the increased beam and bulk of even a small inflatable makes it awkward clearing the swim platform.

I've launched the current boat a few times, and it's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's not too terrible. The new boat will definitely be bulkier and heavier than the old, so I may need to make some small tweaks to my hoisting strategy when the time comes. I may end up getting a different set of tackles for the hoist for more mechanical advantage.

We were considering Suzuki and Tohatsu for our 9.5 AB. Once I looked at changing the oil for each, the Tohatsu won. Something I didn’t initially consider, but glad I stumbled on it. It is possible to change the oil without spilling a drop, even with the boat in the water!

Good Luck

I definitely hadn't considered that either, thank you.

The "How will you carry, launch, and recover it?" question comes before you can finish deciding about the outboard. If your existing davits solve that, good to go.

Also depends on how you will use the dinghy. 200 yards from boat to shore? 5 miles runs, exploring? Et cetera...

If you can carry the dinghy with the outboard attached, choices get easier. If not, you've gotta schlep the motor out there every time... motor weight becomes a bigger factor, etc. And then the carry system may also impact whether you can always use the swim platform (if you have one), etc.

If I were just going from nearby anchorage to shore, these days, I think I'd also consider electric. Haven't shopped on those, dunno if viable... and dunno if viable on your target dinghy,

-Chris

I'm planning to just leave the motor attached to the transom of the dink. Even if it was a lightweight old two stroke, I still wouldn't be very interested in lugging a 60 pounder around anyway.

If I had one thing to complain about with my current setup, it's that when the dink is stowed in the davits, it makes the swim platform practically useless. I can get to it, and if I fell overboard and needed to climb back aboard via the stern ladder, I could, but there would be ducking and shimmying.

Being my first dinghy, I'm not entirely sure how I'll end up using it, but I would like the option to cover larger distances with a fair turn of speed. I think I'd like to be able to explore where the big boat can't go, or when I just don't feel like moving her around. From what I've seen, electric outboards are great, but not fast.

618e3f43637a64464f3b7a3996897ea9130783cf934889bdf69cb17530f8592b.jpg

If I had one thing to complain about with my current setup, it's that when the dink is stowed in the davits, it makes the swim platform practically useless. I can get to it, and if I fell overboard and needed to climb back aboard via the stern ladder, I could, but there would be ducking and shimmying.

I think that's pretty unavoidable with any kind of lifting davits. I figure I'll end up with the same limitation if I end up putting davits on my boat. My plan is just to drop the dinghy in the water if we're anchored and want to swim.

Bigger is better. If you don’t mind towing and have a proper towing rig go as big as you see fit. Our 9.9 Suzuki EFI motor starts first time every time. Electric start would be nice but not a “must have”

I'm guessing you have seen this vid, but a family gets a new dinghy - an AB.

Of course I don't know your davit set up, sounds like it is arm/hand driven, not electric. My Seawise davits are also the same low grade technology. When I thought about upgrading using Seawise goodies to have an electric, I reacted to the boat dollars expense.

So here are things I am considering to get your creative juices flowing:

1) A dedicated rechargeable drill that will fit to the crank somehow (a few people have gone this route) to raise the ballooned aluminum boat.

2) A winch that you can purchase first hand or second hand that is used to pull boats up onto trailers. This winch would handle the heavy chore of raising said beast and since it is not human, no union dues, health insurance, hourly pay, etc.

I have the same AB AL dinghy and really like it. Very stable, and nice an light. I'm about to get a bigger one for the new boat.

For engines, I've had great luck with Yamahas. Hondas are good (I've had two), but I like the Yamahas better.

That said, I would place a high value on EFI. Having a fuel system sealed from the outside air makes a huge difference is fuel and fuel system fouling. In that HP range, it might force you into the Suzuki, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. Here in Gloucester there are a LOT of Suzukis on a LOT or work boats, and they have a great reputation. But also check Yamaha's line because they are always pushing EFI down into smaller and smaller engines.

BTW, I put a Yamaha 4hp on my 9' AB. I only use it to get back and forth from my dock to my boat mooring, and honestly even 4hp was more than I need. But that's what my dealer had in stock. It's a carburetor, and he suggested using the canned True Fuel since I will have very low consumption. He said it's the only stuff that doesn't gum up. It should work for my use, but I don't think practical for a real tender.

Your davit holds the boat level so a battery won't go walkabout, and given that I'd definitely go with electric start. You may be able to pull start a 15hp, but other's won't. And if for any reason you are having trouble starting it, you will REALLY be thankful for electric start.

He asks only about the motor and I see all these posts about dinghy and davits. On the engine, with your note of lugging you and others around, I'd go max with 15 hp over 9.9. I would only go with electric start as the motion of pulling to crank any engine can be heart dangerous at age.

I would choose the lightest electric 15 hp I could find which among the ones mentioned is likely Suzuki at 108 lbs for electric, but among all would be Tohatsu. Their electric is about 101 lbs. For another reason, I'd recommend looking at Tohatsu. They have built more outboards in this size range than any of the others have. For decades the others rebadged them. They've done that with Nissan, Mercury and Evinrude. They have a very wide dealer network but even beyond that other mechanics very familiar with them. Do not overlook Tohatsu in your search. Also likely to save money.

I think that's pretty unavoidable with any kind of lifting davits. I figure I'll end up with the same limitation if I end up putting davits on my boat. My plan is just to drop the dinghy in the water if we're anchored and want to swim.

We installed Seawise davits on a previous boat. We loved them. They allow you to use the swim platform with the dinghy tilted up. As to a boarding ladder we moved it all the way to the side of the platform where the bow of the dinghy was and it worked fine. We had it set up so that the battery and fuel tank stayed in the dinghy full time. With the Seawise the motor doesn’t get removed from the dinghy when it is tilted up. It has a bracket that attaches to the transom that has the motor attached to. So when the dinghy is tilted up the motor goes upright over the platform. I could launch literally in 1 minute and recover in about 3 minuted with the hand crank system. If I had one today I would use an 18 volt drill to crank it up and down. No affiliation.

He asks only about the motor and I see all these posts about dinghy and davits.

It's all a system of systems... so in my mind, motor selection can't happen without having considered all those other areas at the same time.

I'd think differently if Dave had already been using a given dinghy for a while, new exactly how and why he'd use it... already knows how he'd carry it, lift it, launch it, attach the motor, remove the motor, store the motor, etc... so it might really be more of a decision about what motor to buy as a replacement...

But my thought is that too many just wander down to the local outboard store, buy the first thing the salesman recommends... and then struggle to use the whole set-up when a little educated analysis beforehand could have made things much easier.

-Chris

It's all a system of systems... so in my mind, motor selection can't happen without having considered all those other areas at the same time.

I'd think differently if Dave had already been using a given dinghy for a while, new exactly how and why he'd use it... already knows how he'd carry it, lift it, launch it, attach the motor, remove the motor, store the motor, etc... so it might really be more of a decision about what motor to buy as a replacement...

But my thought is that too many just wander down to the local outboard store, buy the first thing the salesman recommends... and then struggle to use the whole set-up when a little educated analysis beforehand could have made things much easier.

-Chris

Agreed. It's always worth confirming that what you think you want is really what will do the job well.

-Chris

This is spot on. :thumb:

I have the same AB AL dinghy and really like it.

For engines, I've had great luck with Yamahas. Hondas are good (I've had two), but I like the Yamahas better.

That said, I would place a high value on EFI.

But also check Yamaha's line because they are always pushing EFI down into smaller and smaller engines.
All good suggestions and though I have a Honda, the next OB will be a Yamaha with EFI.

All good suggestions and though I have a Honda, the next OB will be a Yamaha with EFI.

Only outboard I've ever owned is Yamaha but then they are 300 hp. Still I'm a Yamaha fan, but for a boat on which weight was critical, I'd still go with the 15 hp Tohatsu. I'm amazed it wasn't mentioned by others as many here own or have owned Tohatsu motors, whether they realized it or not.

-Chris

But wait. Dave HAS already picked the dinghy, and he DOES already have a davit. And he is ONLY looking for motor advice. Now he might change his mind on these other parts, but he did specifically ask about outboards.

Bigger is better. If you don’t mind towing and have a proper towing rig go as big as you see fit. Our 9.9 Suzuki EFI motor starts first time every time. Electric start would be nice but not a “must have”

As much as I would like to have a 12 footer, my transom is only about 10 feet wide, and the 10 footer that hangs there currently has gotten in my way when docking on a couple of occasions, so I can't really go any longer. As it stands, the rubber duckies will all be about a foot wider than the current boat. I don't have very good visibility astern, so I don't plan to tow unless it's a really short distance.

I'm guessing you have seen this vid, but a family gets a new dinghy - an AB.

Of course I don't know your davit set up, sounds like it is arm/hand driven, not electric. My Seawise davits are also the same low grade technology. When I thought about upgrading using Seawise goodies to have an electric, I reacted to the boat dollars expense.

So here are things I am considering to get your creative juices flowing:

1) A dedicated rechargeable drill that will fit to the crank somehow (a few people have gone this route) to raise the ballooned aluminum boat.

2) A winch that you can purchase first hand or second hand that is used to pull boats up onto trailers. This winch would handle the heavy chore of raising said beast and since it is not human, no union dues, health insurance, hourly pay, etc.

I had not seen that video, thanks. Yeah, mine uses the armstrong system. It gets its energy from tacos rather than the batteries. The new setup will be heavier than the old, so I may want to increase my mechanical advantage.

I have the same AB AL dinghy and really like it. Very stable, and nice an light. I'm about to get a bigger one for the new boat.

That said, I would place a high value on EFI. Having a fuel system sealed from the outside air makes a huge difference is fuel and fuel system fouling. In that HP range, it might force you into the Suzuki, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. Here in Gloucester there are a LOT of Suzukis on a LOT or work boats, and they have a great reputation. But also check Yamaha's line because they are always pushing EFI down into smaller and smaller engines.

BTW, I put a Yamaha 4hp on my 9' AB. I only use it to get back and forth from my dock to my boat mooring, and honestly even 4hp was more than I need. But that's what my dealer had in stock. It's a carburetor, and he suggested using the canned True Fuel since I will have very low consumption. He said it's the only stuff that doesn't gum up. It should work for my use, but I don't think practical for a real tender.

Your davit holds the boat level so a battery won't go walkabout, and given that I'd definitely go with electric start. You may be able to pull start a 15hp, but other's won't. And if for any reason you are having trouble starting it, you will REALLY be thankful for electric start.

I think I'll be glad I have electric start for sure. There's always the pull start as a backup if the electrics fail. So far the short list is Suzuki and Tohatsu. It doesn't appear that Yamaha offers EFI in the 9.9 or 15, so I'll probably take that off the short list.

I'm actually a little surprised by the support for EFI. It makes sense to me. They don't make many carbureted cars anymore, with good reason. But I thought I would encounter a lot more folks saying I should 'go find a good ol' two stroke, cuz they don't make 'em like they used to'... etc.

We installed Seawise davits on a previous boat. We loved them. They allow you to use the swim platform with the dinghy tilted up. As to a boarding ladder we moved it all the way to the side of the platform where the bow of the dinghy was and it worked fine. We had it set up so that the battery and fuel tank stayed in the dinghy full time. With the Seawise the motor doesn’t get removed from the dinghy when it is tilted up. It has a bracket that attaches to the transom that has the motor attached to. So when the dinghy is tilted up the motor goes upright over the platform. I could launch literally in 1 minute and recover in about 3 minutes with the hand crank system. If I had one today I would use an 18 volt drill to crank it up and down. No affiliation.

-Chris
Agreed. It's always worth confirming that what you think you want is really what will do the job well.

Exactly. That's why I keep coming back here. The extra perspectives from the TF brain trust have taught me a lot over the years. I get to display my ignorance so that y'all can say 'no Dave, that's stupid' in a friendly and approachable way. Then when I walk into a showroom, I can seem like I know what I'm talking about.

He asks only about the motor and I see all these posts about dinghy and davits. On the engine, with your note of lugging you and others around, I'd go max with 15 hp over 9.9. I would only go with electric start as the motion of pulling to crank any engine can be heart dangerous at age.

I would choose the lightest electric 15 hp I could find which among the ones mentioned is likely Suzuki at 108 lbs for electric, but among all would be Tohatsu. Their electric is about 101 lbs. For another reason, I'd recommend looking at Tohatsu. They have built more outboards in this size range than any of the others have. For decades the others rebadged them. They've done that with Nissan, Mercury and Evinrude. They have a very wide dealer network but even beyond that other mechanics very familiar with them. Do not overlook Tohatsu in your search. Also likely to save money.

To be fair, the title of the thread is a bit misleading. The original thread was equal parts boat and motor, but I edited it down after I made a provisional boat selection, and couldn't change the title. No harm, no foul. Actually, I'd never taken the time to check out the Seawise and Weaver Davit setups, and they're really pretty nifty. I could definitely see myself with something like that down the road if the Danforths get to be annoying.

As of right now, I'm leaning toward a 9.9, but I'm still open to a 15. Tohatsu and Suzuki are at the top of my list, but I haven't seen either in person yet. I'm hoping I can hop into a few different boats somewhere to give them a try and see how they feel. As of right now, I have no idea.

Thanks again for the feedback e'rrybody!

As of right now, I'm leaning toward a 9.9, but I'm still open to a 15. Tohatsu and Suzuki are at the top of my list, but I haven't seen either in person yet. I'm hoping I can hop into a few different boats somewhere to give them a try and see how they feel. As of right now, I have no idea.

Thanks again for the feedback e'rrybody!

You said plane with you and others. I'd go 15 for that. Of course, generally, I do recommend the max size the boat is rated for.

But wait. Dave HAS already picked the dinghy, and he DOES already have a davit. And he is ONLY looking for motor advice. Now he might change his mind on these other parts, but he did specifically ask about outboards.

Yeah... I hadn't seen his pic until after spewing out a whole bunch of stuff...

-Chris

You said plane with you and others. I'd go 15 for that. Of course, generally, I do recommend the max size the boat is rated for.

Yep, whatever max the boat will hold. A 15 will run like a scalded cat with one aboard a 10' dink... but it'd be different with more pax and/or supplies and so forth.

And in the Suzuki line-up, there's no weight advantage to the 9.9.

OTOH, if the boat will only take 9.9... and/or if there's a lighter EFI model out there somewhere -- i.e., not on the same platform as a company's 15 -- could well be fine.

-Chris

Dave,
We have a 10ft RIB that inherited a 10yr old Nissan/Tohatsu carbureted 4-stroke 15HP from a previous dink. I liked your comment about 2S and yes there are definitely old guys around at my current marina that will still try to tell you how many reasons a 2-stroke is better! Ha!
You’re getting many good ideas here, I’d focus more on weight rather than hand-wringing about a few hp. Our older 15HP will go pretty decent but it seems a bit heavy for the dink and were I to do it over, I’d go with a smaller lighter motor. I know you’ve probably already nixed the electric idea but I’ve considered e-Propulsion. If you have an EFI with electric start, you’ll be taking up RIb valuable floor space for a battery box and a gas tank. Both of these go away with an e-Propulsion.
Our big boat is diesel so the other point that sometimes comes up in these forums is the concept of getting rid of gas from the boat :hide: let me be clear, I don’t mean to drag up that debate.
But I digress, in truth we’ll probably keep the Nissan for a while and you’re probably on the right track, I’d say look for the lightest 9-ish hp motor you can find....

I've had to get rid of bad gas twice now, this for a 15hp Yamaha 4-stroke. I can use the old gas in the car, mixed with fresh, as the car's engine computer will compensate. At least to a degree better than the outboard that won't run properly on it. If it had been 50:1 2-stroke oil/fuel I'd have had to find somewhere to dispose of it for me. Some local gas stations can do this, but not all. Lately I've had decent luck with the hideously overpriced canned stuff from Home Despot. Better sealed and known to work (at $19/gal) vs unknown and unable to run.

I've posted before about the virtues of an electric outboard. However, if you need something in the 10-15 HP range, electric is not as attractive. If you need something to get back and forth to shore, don't have to go fast or very long distances, I would go with electric. Torqeedo was the go-to, but I would seriously look at ePropulsion. They have the edge in my opinion. Simpler, less expensive, longer range, faster charge, floating battery, etc.

Last edited:
I have a 10' hard bottom West Maine that weighs 95 lbs. It is a Zodiac design and presumably manufactured by them. No need for more than 10 hp as it planes easily with 450 lbs. on board. Quality is very good and it performs as well as my former A/B at half the price. As others have noted lighter is better. Add a self adhesive keel protector strip to avoid against rough beaches

I recently purchased a 9.5 AB rated for 15hp. I went with an electric start, 15hp Tohatsu that checked all the boxes. It's the same size & weight as the 9.9 and was less expensive than all the alternative 15 hp makes. FYI, today's Mercury 9.9 & 15 (and others) are made by Tohatsu. The Suzuki was slightly heavier. And Yamaha and Honda were not EFI. Went with a small lithium starting battery that only weighs 2.25#.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
Our last dinghy for the trawler was a choice which evolved over a lot of years and a lot of dinks/motors. It was a West Marine 10-foot rhib without the formed hard transom (weight saving) and a marvelous 2-cycle Nissan 9.8 which planed out with 400 pounds of people. Not a great planing, but plane nonetheless. Since the boat you are selecting is rated for 15 HP, go that way. I did not want to have the extra weight of a 4-cycle; the bother of wondering whether the battery was charged; rigging charge for said battery; weight of said battery; concern for weather protection for said battery; having to change sump oil of a 4-cycle; yada, yada. A 2-cycle Nissan 15 is no more weight than a 9.8. Mine usually took two pulls to start after months of storage. My brother now has my Nissan 9.8 on his rhib on his GB42 and loves it over the cantankerous US made junk he had before. I always disconnected the fuel line and ran it dry and then loosened the carburetor bowl screw to drain that too before storage. As has been said about the 2-cycle Nissan, it is "much sought after" for a very good reason - performance and reliability. Nuff said.

New Dingy

For me that's an easy choice. 10' AB aluminum and 15 hp Yamaha with electric start.

The 10' AB is the driest dingy of that size that I have ridden in. I like the electric start Yamaha easy and reliable. And while you are at it put a bilge pump in it.

Shay

Totally agree with your RIB choice. But not a 9.9 motor.
There will be many times when you have 2 people and a moderate amount of "stuff" and the 9.9 will not plane your boat but that 15 that looks and weighs exactly the same as what you bought would have you planing easily toward your destination. Why would you consider the 9.9 ? You don't have to use the power when you don't want to !

Totally agree with your RIB choice. But not a 9.9 motor.
There will be many times when you have 2 people and a moderate amount of "stuff" and the 9.9 will not plane your boat but that 15 that looks and weighs exactly the same as what you bought would have you planing easily toward your destination. Why would you consider the 9.9 ? You don't have to use the power when you don't want to !

In the past, in some states, any boat with a 10hp or larger motor needed to be licensed. 9.9hp avoids that expense.

You will like the Suzuki 15hp EFI outboard. I have had one and it’s been sooooo nice not to have to worry about a carb. Always starts on second pull. First pull activates the magneto I think. It doesn’t have a battery.

Anyway, I like it. Super quiet underway also. Not the lightest at 97 lbs, but it pushes my 10’ RIB really well and will plane easily with 3-4 people. Get the 15hp, not the 9.9hp. They are damn near the same price and weight.

https://onlineoutboards.com/products/suzuki-15-hp-df15as2-outboard-motor

Last edited:
I recently bought a 20 hp Tohatsu EFI with pull start. It runs great, but rarely starts on the first pull. I think the EFI might require the extra pull, but don't know. I'd have purchased an electric start, but I wanted the lightest weight possible since I'm carrying it along in our RV. It weighs 92 lbs & that's as much as I want to hoss around.
While shopping I realized that the 9.9 hp, the 15 hp, & the 20 hp are all the same engine, & weigh the same 92 lbs. I found the best price at Boats.net in GA.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom