Fog horn, NOT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard/saw a funny one today. Actually kind of a sad one.

It was foggy, and I heard a boat approaching and entering the outer harbor, diligently tooting his horn because of the fog. Except he kept giving three short toots, telling everyone he was running astern. Then out of the fog appeared a swoopy, goofy looking 40-something foot pleasure boat, flying along at probably 15 kts.

It's so sad that we require no operator knowledge whatsoever for boaters.

Not so in Canada. Anyone who operates a boat with any kind of motor is required to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (that you receive after passing a boating safety course), or other suitable proof of competency.

You consider that online course a training course. Any 12y/o can pass that course
Not so in Canada. Anyone who operates a boat with any kind of motor is required to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (that you receive after passing a boating safety course), or other suitable proof of competency.

That's not much of an assurance.

I rarely toot thrice backing out of my berth, fearing bad thoughts from other boat owners. Make a prolonged toot when exiting the marina when the low tide blocks visibility beyond the breakwater.

Bothersome: most boaters seem to think a one-second toot substitutes for a prolonged blast, and those not showing running lights nor making sound signals in substantially-reduced visibility.

Last edited:

Don’t I wish that were true in the US.

And that's a good thing. By "we" I meant the US, and should have been clearer. And in "our" defense, States are increasingly requiring at least minimal safety course material. But this guy clearly got grandfathered in, or figured the info being taught didn't matter, just like wearing a mask...

Even if that issue was ever specifically included on a test, one needn't get a perfect score to pass.

Yes it's really sad when the village idiots can't manage the proper audible signals.

Funny story, I've always had a Raytheon hailer with whistle and fog signals on my charter boat, and a large PA horn. In the fog, I always turn on the fog horn, crank up the volume, and slow down. When coming into the Ocean City, MD inlet in the fog, there are usually a bunch of small fishing boats, fishing in the channel. It's hilarious to watch them scatter on my radar, when they hear my fog horn and and think it's a hundred foot steel clam boat bearing down on them. Laugh all the way to the fuel dock.

Ted

Yes, a loud horn has its advantages. :D

Yes, we have a separate hailer and I put a speaker facing forward and one facing aft. It gets pretty loud.

Years ago I bought a boat north of Everett, WA and ran it down to LA. One particular time we were in thick fog for 36 hours, I was very happy to have the automatic fog signal built into that hailer.

Side note - there are also horn co trollers that will create the proper fog signal from your existing horn. I think the cost 250-300 or so. Less hassle and potentially less cost than adding a hailer or replacing a radio if you just want the fog signal capability.

Yes, but then you don’t have the versatility of a hailer.

Which is why I mentioned cost and potential hassle. We redid our electronics and purchased a Standard Horizon radio with integrated hailer since there was already wiring to the radar arch to an old broken speaker. On a Bayliner 4788 pulling cables is not for the faint of heart. Clearly a controller is a single purpose device and a hailer has many potential uses.

True that the hailer is more versatile... also be aware the USCG found some hailer and horn combos that didn't meet the COLREGs a few years back.

I know mine isnt quite as loud as my trumpet horn.

Not sure if the test was done in actual foggy conditions or not.

Last edited:
No hailer on my boat (haven't found the need). As much as I avoid fog, I put in one of the $130-ish Fogmate controllers anyway while rewiring the helm switches last winter. It's cheap enough and I figure having automated fog horn capability is worthwhile. My existing trumpet horns are plenty loud and fairly distinct (3 tone), so even with a hailer, I'd probably use them for a fog signal.

Yes, we have a separate hailer and I put a speaker facing forward and one facing aft. It gets pretty loud.

Did you add a selection switch, or just let both work at the same time?

-Chris

I have a FogMate too. So much easier than the hailer; just flip a switch. No need to fiddle with the VHF menus. Disclaimer: I have a B&G VHF which is designed to foil even the best attempts to figure out how to do simple things like set which channels to scan, or activate the hailer. The only time I used the hailer for fog signaling was when the dog was terrified by the horn, and the fog wasn't so bad that I needed the extra "uumph" of a real horn.

One benefit to having a combined VHF and hailer is that you can initiate an interesting conversation with the coast guard. Just think you’ve set the VHF to the hailer function and start talking away when you depress the talk button (but you’re still on VHF 16). The Coasties really like when you do that.... ��

The hailer lets you select which, it has a ton of features in it.

Ah. Thanks.

I think our radio would only select the generic "hailer" function, nothing further...

OTOH, I had two radios, so could maybe have added a rear hailer (horn) to the second radio... unless one radio would drive two horns at once... and if that didn't seem a bit goofy...

-Chris

Separate haulers have a few cool features...not so much the vhf radios with fog/hauler built in.

Mine also gas an intercom function which I have been meaning to use for bridge/salon comms.

Mine also has an intercom function which I have been meaning to use for bridge/salon comms.
As does mine but it hasn't been used as much as I originally thought!

Attachments

• iCom 506-11.jpg
    iCom 506-11.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Command Mic Hybrid.jpg
    Command Mic Hybrid.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 54
No hailer on my boat (haven't found the need). As much as I avoid fog, I put in one of the $130-ish Fogmate controllers anyway while rewiring the helm switches last winter. It's cheap enough and I figure having automated fog horn capability is worthwhile. My existing trumpet horns are plenty loud and fairly distinct (3 tone), so even with a hailer, I'd probably use them for a fog signal.

:thumb: Plus loud hailers generally are no where near as loud as my air horn.

I thought every state had a basic license or certificate requirement for power boat 10hp or more.

:thumb: Plus loud hailers generally are no where near as loud as my air horn.

Have you ever had the need to blow your loud horn for 24 hours straight every 2 minutes due to running in fog? That is where a hailer with auto signals comes in handy. I didn’t have a programmed horn at the time.

I disagree. If someone was in fog and sounding a horn, I commend them. OK maybe not the correct number of blasts, but better that nothing. Those are the people you should condemn.

I disagree. If someone was in fog and sounding a horn, I commend them. OK maybe not the correct number of blasts, but better that nothing. Those are the people you should condemn.

Well, neither is right. Partial credit? I'm not in favor. If you want to operate a boat, learn the forking rules. It's not rocket science. After all, everyone (mostly) learns how to drive a car and follow the rules.

Back
Top Bottom