View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
RonR
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Fuel tank questions

We have two fuel tanks in the boat, each are 100 gallons (Gas). Each have a shut off valve at the tank draw tube located on the top of the tanks, then they y into one line that runs into the engine rooms and then y's again to each of the three fuel filters and then to each of the 3 engines (gen set, two 350's). The tanks do not have a balance tube or line that connects them together besides the main common line. Tanks are aft of the mains under the rear deck.

I have tried running with each of the main tank valves full open in hopes of drawing the same amount out of each tank to keep the boat balanced. Sometimes it draws more out of the Port, sometimes not but never equal.

So for the most part now I run one tank at a time, draw it down to about 1/4 reserve and then swap tanks. Then on the next run I will reverse the starting tank so that I am not packing one old fuel for long. As one time on a long run I had each tank open but for some reason it only drew out of one tank and I ran the boat out of fuel, kind of scared me at first, but then I went and popped the hatches and seen one tank was still reading full and the other was dry.

Is this standard practice? Why don't they draw equal? I see no provisions for a balance line/tube and no other bungs in the Stainless tanks. Its not a huge deal, just makes me wonder. Each of the mains has an electric fuel pump located at the engine, so they pull the fuel.

If I was to design this boat I would have made the tanks able to balance out on their own, as I am always bumping the trim tab on one side or the other on a 4 hour run as its now 800lb lighter on that side!
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote