Anchor ball displayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
When it comes to power boats, I really haven't seen that many anchors balls displayed during the day, per the Coast Guard (American) information:

"At night an all-round white light is required, and during the day, a spherical “anchor-ball” suspended from the rigging (to create a circular silhouette). Both should be sized according to the regulations for your vessel."

Do you display one when at anchor? I just grabbed this random pic of boats at anchor in Desolation, see any anchor balls?

https://sailingsamadhi.files.wordpr...y-busy-prideaux-haven6541258850069053521..jpg

Last edited:
MUST DO when in the Netherlands, otherwise you will be fined in short order. While this rule exists in other European countries, none I have encounteted are as strict about enforcing it as NL... even for power boats. I have a folding version to hang from the bow rail, when I must.

On rare occasions I've seen powerboats displaying anchor balls, but never on sailboats.

Attachments

• IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
    IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 164
Yes...not doing it is one of those "I got ya" moments in maritime court.

Even though it makes no sense to many boaters, and they have no clue what it is...failure to do so can get you more apportioned blame in an incident.

We display it systematically although here in Thailand almost no one knows what it is for!!!! However White light at night is widely used here.

When it comes to power boats, I really haven't seen that many anchors balls displayed during the day, per the Coast Guard (American) information:

"At night an all-round white light is required, and during the day, a spherical “anchor-ball” suspended from the rigging (to create a circular silhouette). Both should be sized according to the regulations for your vessel."

Do you display one when at anchor? I just grabbed this random pic of boats at anchor in Desolation, see any anchor balls?

https://sailingsamadhi.files.wordpr...y-busy-prideaux-haven6541258850069053521..jpg

From the Annex 1

(a) Shapes shall be black and of the following sizes:

(i) A ball shall have a diameter of not less than 0.6 meter;
(ii) a cone shall have a base diameter of not less than 0.6 meter‹s› and a height equal to its diameter;
‹ (iii) a cylinder shall have a diameter of at least 0.6 meter and a height of twice its diameter; ‹
(iv)ǂ(iii) a diamond shape shall consist of two cones as defined in §(a)(ii) having a common base.

(b) The vertical distance between shapes shall be at least 1.5 meter‹s›.

(c) In a vessel of less than 20 meters in length shapes of lesser dimensions but commensurate with the size of the vessel may be used and the distance apart may be correspondingly reduced.

I have never seen one in NE. I would not anchor at night without anchor light.

Oh great...a thread where everyone compares and argues about who's got the best anchor balls.

It is the requirement so why not. I have one that is like the folding radar reflectors so it stores flat and comes out when we are anchored.

It NJ isn't the northeast, then I cant say how prevalent from NY north.

But you see them occasionally between NJ to Florida.

Some of the real long distance cruisers I know use them.....but true...not many boaters in general do. Of course, I prefer not to act like the "general" boater.

It's a requirement, but I've never heard of it being enforced. I'd say I almost never see it on a recreational boat, and almost always see it on a professionally crewed boat.

If you don’t display one it is just an excuse for LE to stop and board your boat. I think that mine cost about $10.

Yes...not doing it is one of those "I got ya" moments in maritime court.

Even though it makes no sense to many boaters, and they have no clue what it is...failure to do so can get you more apportioned blame in an incident.

^this! Also, after the judge rules, your insurance will rise or be canceled.

I hang a black ball at anchor on the Great lakes, and display the light at night.

I have actually had a fellow boater come up to me while at anchor with the ball displayed. He wanted to assist if I needed help, he had never seen a ball before, thought it was some kind of distress signal or quarantine or something..

Whatever.. Wisconsin nice.

pete

I agree that most people don’t know what it means, but that doesn’t remove the owners responsibility to properly display what is called for in the nav rules. Same thing about sound signals. When I sound the horn most people just wave because they don’t have a clue what it means. But when I feel it is necessary I sound the proper sound signal, and get a wave back instead of the proper reply sound signal. If there is a collision as least when it goes to court it will weigh heavily in my favor.

US EXCEPTIONS: If your vessel is less than 23 feet (7 meters) in length, it
is not required to display an anchor light or shape unless it is anchored in or near a narrow channel, fairway, or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate.

CA EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding this Rule, in the Canadian waters of a roadstead, harbour, river, lake or inland waterway, a barge or an inconspicuous, partly submerged vessel or object, when at anchor, is not required to exhibit any light while located within a recognized mooring, storage or booming area that is not an area in or near a narrow channel or fairway or where other vessels normally navigate.

US EXCEPTIONS: If your vessel is less than 23 feet (7 meters) in length, it
is not required to display an anchor light or shape unless it is anchored in or near a narrow channel, fairway, or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate.

CA EXCEPTIONS: Notwithstanding this Rule, in the Canadian waters of a roadstead, harbour, river, lake or inland waterway, a barge or an inconspicuous, partly submerged vessel or object, when at anchor, is not required to exhibit any light while located within a recognized mooring, storage or booming area that is not an area in or near a narrow channel or fairway or where other vessels normally navigate.

OK, how many here have vessels less than 23’?

OK, how many here have vessels less than 23’?

OK how many on here display a shape every time when day anchored?

Be honest, not puffing your chest out saying you know the rules and follow them and the rest of you are fools for not doing so.

Anyone?

Last edited:
OK how many on here display a shape when day anchored?

Be honest, not puffing your chest out saying you know the rules and follow them and the rest of you are fools for not doing so.

Anyone?

I do. While I don’t have a photo of it being flown, I could post a photo of it if I need to prove that I have one.

I do. While I don’t have a photo of it being flown, I could post a photo of it if I need to prove that I have one.

No need, it's an honor system. Good on you!

BTW, I also have one, it doubles as a radar reflector when under way (flat ball when a shape, 3D 3 level reflector when underway), but I never put it up.

Last edited:
My radar reflector is mounted permanently. I probably have a photo of it deployed...

I have always had one, and have honestly only ever used it when anchored outside a recognized anchorage.

I just started flying one recently. I've seen a fair few on boats up and down the coast, both power and sail. Maybe one or two in ten. Most of the anchorages I've stayed at have been pretty out of the way, so I wasn't worried about passing traffic being confused by my status. I didn't feel like a criminal without one, but I'm glad I have it now, and I'll be happy to use it. It certainly can't hurt.

I agree that it can’t hurt so why not??? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Ours folds till its just a slice , so is easy to stow.

AS I prefer to use 2 anchors from the bow, and not wander about the bay, the ball is great at having folks notice the boats location..

I agree that most people don’t know what it means, but that doesn’t remove the owners responsibility to properly display what is called for in the nav rules. Same thing about sound signals. When I sound the horn most people just wave because they don’t have a clue what it means. But when I feel it is necessary I sound the proper sound signal, and get a wave back instead of the proper reply sound signal. If there is a collision as least when it goes to court it will weigh heavily in my favor.

I agree. I think we can all "lead by example", and operate our boats properly. Who knows, maybe it will start to catch on. Maybe boaters will start to be embarrassed by how little they know. Or maybe not, since ignorance is generally celebrated here in the good ol' USA.

Back
Top Bottom