AC raw water strainer basket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
I'm pretty sure this is been posted before but I can't seem to find any information.

This raw water basket is starting to split and I was thinking about buying another one but couldn't really find anything.

Any suggestions on this model?

I think the manufacturer is groco.. IMG_20200715_222636.jpegIMG_20200715_222612.jpg

A pic of the housing might help but it looks like some of mine that are Marine Hardware.

If you go to the parts sticky at top of the Marlow Mainship section you can scan through the part photos to find yours. Pics of parts have source info in most cases.

MH catalog available online. PG 12 strainers & parts.

https://www.marinehardware.com/

Last edited:
Another possibility might be Buck Algonquin.

-Chris

Because of the amount of hours the AC runs, the baskets are more subject to electrolysis deterioration. Groco makes plastic baskets also for their strainers. I switched to plastic 5 years ago when mine rotted out and have been very pleased.

Ted

Those look exactly like the Perko strainers we had on our boat. Does the top of the strainer come off via wing nuts on two swiveling posts? For example:https://www.perko.com/images/sparepart_diagrams/0493.pdf

I see the OP is in Savannah. Go by River Supply in Thunderbolt and show them, I'll bet anything they'll know and likely have them in stock. (912) 354-7777

Last edited:
Because of the amount of hours the AC runs, the baskets are more subject to electrolysis deterioration. Groco makes plastic baskets also for their strainers. I switched to plastic 5 years ago when mine rotted out and have been very pleased.

Ted

This has been my experience as well. I was hesitant to go with plastic initially, but have had no problems with them over the past three years.

Here are a few close up pics...looks just like the ones on pg. 12 of that catalog..

Do they offer plastic basket option?

Metal Basket specs are 4-3/4" H x 1-7/16" Dia.

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_141244.jpg
    IMG_20200716_141244.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200716_141258.jpg
    IMG_20200716_141258.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 19
  • strainer.jpg
    strainer.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Here are a few close up pics...looks just like the ones on pg. 12 of that catalog..

Do they offer plastic basket option?

Metal Basket specs are 4-3/4" H x 1-7/16" Dia.
As I thought... same as mine. No idea if they have plastic but doubt it or they would list them but no harm in calling them.

The strainer basket in your first photo looks like a Groco but the strainer in post #8 is not a Groco. It looks like a knock off of a Groco ARG series strainer so Groco Baskets might fit. Before I retired, Groco did make plastic baskets. The openings were larger than the metal baskets but I think they are a better choice.

I suggest you get the basket specified for your strainer, and not assume the current basket is correct. A wrong basket may fit, but not function properly (strain all the junk).
Also, +1 on plastic basket for ac (if available), it also tolerates an annual bromine tablet...

The strainer basket in your first photo looks like a Groco but the strainer in post #8 is not a Groco. It looks like a knock off of a Groco ARG series strainer so Groco Baskets might fit. Before I retired, Groco did make plastic baskets. The openings were larger than the metal baskets but I think they are a better choice.
I suggest you get the basket specified for your strainer, and not assume the current basket is correct. A wrong basket may fit, but not function properly (strain all the junk).
Also, +1 on plastic basket for ac (if available), it also tolerates an annual bromine tablet...
Jeff
This is not that difficult and not "rocket science"...(Pardon the jab but couldn't resist).
You now know the mfg and correct replacement part #.
Just order one and you are safe.
Check with a Groco dealer to see if there plastic replacement is the same size.
I think you will find the MH one fits fairly snug in the bottom of the plastic bowl and has to seat all the way down or the screw on cover won't go on. So bottom OD important for fit and flare OD at top important for seal.
If close and you want to try, order a plastic Groco and see how it works as an experiment. If it doesnt it sounds like it's fairly common and someone will be looking for one. If it works, please report back and I'll post a note in the MS parts "sticky".

Last edited:
As mentioned, make sure the one you're ordering matches height and diameter. To be sure, bring the old one to a store and let them order the correct one. You're off the hook $$$ if it doesn't match. Most of the time it's very easy to match. In FL, where barnacles are an issue, I once dropped one in the water while cleaning. Quite inconvenient to retrieve but doable. Also the hose from strainer to the machinery can get clogged with barnacle growth. A piece of rebar cut cleanly is great for scrubbing inside fittings and hoses.

yes, i think it best to just go with the SS OEM basket...they are about$45.....

Good move. Downgrading marine gear isn't standard practice. Taking a chance of ruining your raw water pump isn'y a gamble I'd take. No disrespect to members who have chosen plastic.

yes, i think it best to just go with the SS OEM basket...they are about$45.....

Good move. Downgrading marine gear isn't standard practice. Taking a chance of ruining your raw water pump isn'y a gamble I'd take. No disrespect to members who have chosen plastic.

To be clear, the plastic strainer basket (probably nylon) is OEM equipment from Groco. When last I looked, Groco offered stainless steel, I think monel, and plastic. It's the manufacturer's specific alternative I followed for high hour air conditioning water systems.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom