Prairie 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dibiman

Hello everyone newbie here. My first post. I am currently looking at a vessel being advertised as a 81 Atlantic prairie 46. I’ve been told by someone who seems “in the know“ that it couldn’t be an Atlantic because of its age. The boat does display the prairie but works logo. I see a lot on the 29’s and the 36s I see little to nothing on a 46. The boat is outfitted with six cylinder Perkins, Bow thrusters and stabilizer system. My question is Anybody familiar with this model vessel that can give some wisdom & insight.
See attached photo of manufacture placard

Attachments

• 13CBF640-54E1-4BF2-BEE1-5BD20AB6E319.jpg
    13CBF640-54E1-4BF2-BEE1-5BD20AB6E319.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 175
Wow, I'd never heard of a 46 either.

That's the same manufacturer's plate I have, except mine says 36. Yours is hull #6, so I guess they made at least that many 46's. Could be it was built during the change-over, and so was built as a Prairie but sold as an Atlantic.

Let us know what you find out, I'd love to learn more about my boat's "big sister."

Looks like a 44 with 2 feet added to the aft cabin during manufacturing.

You are from Cocoa/Rockledge?! Small world! Where are you now? Do you own a Prairie?

Wow, I'd never heard of a 46 either.

That's the same manufacturer's plate I have, except mine says 36. Yours is hull #6, so I guess they made at least that many 46's. Could be it was built during the change-over, and so was built as a Prairie but sold as an Atlantic.

Let us know what you find out, I'd love to learn more about my boat's "big sister."

I will keep you posted as I continue my investigation. Thanks for comments

Never had a Prairie but I do recall the Prairie and Atlantic were the same boat but for some reason, Atlantic would claim their boat is a foot longer than the Prairie. For example the equivalent of the Prairie 29 was the Atlantic 30. The equivalent of the Prairie 36 was the Atlantic 37 and I suspect the equivalent of the Prairie 46 is the Atlantic 47.

Never had a Prairie but I do recall the Prairie and Atlantic were the same boat but for some reason, Atlantic would claim their boat is a foot longer than the Prairie. For example the equivalent of the Prairie 29 was the Atlantic 30. The equivalent of the Prairie 36 was the Atlantic 37 and I suspect the equivalent of the Prairie 46 is the Atlantic 47.

Yes, Atlantic was an early adopter to the practice of adding a foot or two to all their model numbers. As I understand it, they bought the molds and tooling from Prairie. The boats are essentially the same, but they weren't the same company.

The OP hasn't been on this forum since the four posts in this thread on January 26/27.

I, too, would be very interested to hear more about this Prairie 46.

The OP hasn't been on this forum since the four posts in this thread on January 26/27.

I, too, would be very interested to hear more about this Prairie 46.

Looks to be a well taken care of trawler. Additional maintenance items added to the engine, freshwater flush, polisher system, etc. Its got lots of 'comforts of home', one of my favorites is what looks like a pretty large desk area in the aft cabin/stateroom. I may go ahead and make an offer prior to seeing it.

What do you think? Quality boats and fabrication?

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1981-atlantic-prairie-46-sundeck-trawler-7294058/

It's a Prairie all right. Not just the bronze builder's plaque, but the construction, layout, fit and finish are all Prairie. Same Perkins engines as mine, same federal couplers on the gear, even the fuel tanks look the same.

I consider the build quality on mine to be very good. Obviously anything that age needs a good going-over, but the photos suggest it's had good maintenance. Unless there's something they're not telling, I'd say it's a great deal.

It's a Prairie all right. Not just the bronze builder's plaque, but the construction, layout, fit and finish are all Prairie. Same Perkins engines as mine, same federal couplers on the gear, even the fuel tanks look the same.

I consider the build quality on mine to be very good. Obviously anything that age needs a good going-over, but the photos suggest it's had good maintenance. Unless there's something they're not telling, I'd say it's a great deal.

Tanks look stainless, aluminium? Definitely not iron tanks like a lot of the MT/Labelles/Albins I have seen lately...

Definitely looks like a Jack Hargrave design; he did most if not all the Prairie/Atlantic models. And of course almost all the Hatteras's and Burgers of that era. Typically have excellent ergonomics.

Tanks look stainless, aluminium? Definitely not iron tanks like a lot of the MT/Labelles/Albins I have seen lately...

Aluminum. The one Prairie design flaw. The tanks are bedded in foam, which holds any water against the aluminum, causing oxidation and ultimately, leaks. The rail stanchion bases are above the tanks, so when the stanchion bedding (eventually) gives out, water leaks in that way. Re-bedding the bases is a required maintenance item on a Prairie.

If I'm not mistaken, that boat sat at Melbourne marina for 5+ years and once, the couple that owned it, came down to spend a week or so aboard and ended up pumping a bunch of oil into the marina... His wife wasn't happy.

Aluminum. The one Prairie design flaw. The tanks are bedded in foam, which holds any water against the aluminum, causing oxidation and ultimately, leaks. The rail stanchion bases are above the tanks, so when the stanchion bedding (eventually) gives out, water leaks in that way. Re-bedding the bases is a required maintenance item on a Prairie.

Aluminum is a great tank material. Stainless is much worse at crevice corrosion. On 20-40-ish year old boats, I'd say stanchion bedding is an essential PM regardless.

Why they encased them in foam I have no idea. One thing brilliant in a lot of Hargrave designs, such as my old Hatteras 56MY, was tanks molded into the fiberglass hull down the centerline.

If I'm not mistaken, that boat sat at Melbourne marina for 5+ years and once, the couple that owned it, came down to spend a week or so aboard and ended up pumping a bunch of oil into the marina... His wife wasn't happy.

How does one pump oil out?
Anyway to confirm it was this one? "Golden Age"

How does one pump oil out?
Anyway to confirm it was this one? "Golden Age"
Easy to do with an older engine that has an oil leak into the bilge. Happened to me.
Also diesel dripping into the bilge can leave quite a sheen when the pump kicks on.

Easy to do with an older engine that has an oil leak into the bilge. Happened to me.
Also diesel dripping into the bilge can leave quite a sheen when the pump kicks on.

Ahh...okay...I'm tracking!

So the story may be for this boat...or another...is that a boat sat for 5 years with a slow leak, when they arrive back to the boat and either powered on the boat, or oil level was high enough it tripped the bilge.

Thanks KnotYet!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom