Finally got fuel filter changed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SailorGoneBad

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
It took me a year. I just had a mental block about this task.

My FL 120 has the original duel CAV simms filters. This task ended up taking about two hours and I cannot imagine doing this underway, in a storm, in a busy channel. All those pesky "o" rings and juggling all these loose parts just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I would like to scrap these relics and install a single Racor 460R in its place.
1) the existing mounting bracket holes will line up with this model
2) it is rated for 30psi so it can be installed after the lifter pump
3) it is rated for 60 gph which is the same as the 500FG primary filter.

Any feedback on my planned setup would be appreciated.

My questions concern the plumbing. The current setup has a rigid line going from the filter to the injector pump. This will not exactly line up with the new filter housing which is a bit narrower. Can i use a flexible line here instead or alternatively, where does one get a rigid line fabricated?

Any thoughts or experiences greatly appriciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• filtersSmall.jpg
    filtersSmall.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 30
From the RACOR site:
RSL0159 Rev - (02/2014)© 2014 Parker Hannifin CorporationRacor’s 400 series fuel filter water separators are specifically designed to handle todays tough diesel filtration problems. These units feature a standard in-head fuel priming pump and are different from one another only in flow capacity and element size. These units should be used on the suction (vacuum) side of the fuel transfer pump The die-cast aluminum mounting head features two outlets and two inlets for installation to most fuel systems. The fuel ports are 3/8”-18 NPTF (SAEJ476) on 445R - 490R Assemblies, and 3/4”-16 UNF (SAEJ1926) on the 4120R and 4125R Assemblies. Each 400 Series fuel filter/water separator comes standard with a fuel restriction indicator. The Indicator installs in place of the vent plug and allows for instant visual confirmation of filter health, even with the engine off. Engines will benefit from near 100% water separation and fuel filtration with Racor’s proprietary AquablocTM water repelling media. Replaceable spin-on filter elements are available in 2, 10 and 30 micron ratings. The reusable see-through contaminant collection bowl allows the operator to check contamination build-up at a glance.

The fuel restriction indicator will be useless on the discharge side of the lift pump. I have no idea what will happen to the primer pump under pressure.

Maybe a 600 series (no pump) may be better.

Last edited:
I would want to make sure they are designed to be bolted onto a vibrating engine. All Racors I have ever seen were mounted on a bulkhead which will not vibrate nearly as much as the engine. Maybe it will be fine but don’t know. Also as said above it would not be in a suction but rather a pressure area.

Not married to any particular filter. Mostly just want to get away from these CAV filters and was hoping to use existing mountings on engine.

Last edited:
Back in 2003 I added RACOR spin-on fuel filter adapters IN-CAV with S3216T filter elements to my two FL 120s. No changes needed for the hard pipe connect to the Simms injector pump.

Back in 2003 I added RACOR spin-on fuel filter adapters IN-CAV with S3216T filter elements to my two FL 120s. No changes needed for the hard pipe connect to the Simms injector pump.

Did these just screw right on the CAV mount? It would be nice except for the price.

Did these just screw right on the CAV mount? It would be nice except for the price.

Yes they did. Let me see if I can find a photo. Hey, it was my boat where money was never an object. :)

I know Brian said the spin on filter adapter would fit on a 120 but not on a 225. Maybe these will fit. I hate changing the CAV filters because it is such a PITA, so I end up not changing them as often as I probably should. If these would fit then it would be worth the extra cost. I would love to see a photo.

Photo of IN-CAV adapters on a FL120

The adapter part between the filter body and the original Lehman 120 filter bracket allows the filters to be spun on/off.

Attachments

• 1N CAV frnt vu.jpg
    1N CAV frnt vu.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 24
Ok, thanks. I think that there isn’t enough height on the 225s for both the adapter and the filter. Oh well...

I installed the CAV spin on adapters on Sandpipers FL 120 over 20 years ago along with Baldwin filters. I replaced the Baldwins last fall after 3,000 plus hours. I cut the Baldwins open and other than the red dye color, the filter material looked clean, no disentegration and no rust. There is a 2 micron Racor 500 upstream.

The adapter makes removing, prefilling and reinstalling the filter housing a no mess affair.

Thanks for the picture. Super helpful.

I replaced my CAV filters with the spin-on adapters before my first filter change. The CAV system was leaking, despite having been recently installed by a reputable shop. I found lots of CAV o-rings, parts and spare filters onboard, but no thanks. Just the fact that there were so many used and new parts told me that I didn't want to mess with the system.

I have my spin-on install instructions in front of me. It recommends a minimum of 6.5" clearance below the lower lip of the filter housing in order to have room to change regular filters. It also recommends using a NAPA 3351 for tight spaces. Those are 3.5" tall and a 6 micron rating. I found them cheap and bought a few. Being slightly smaller, I'll probably replace them every 2,000 hours.

Most engines have on engine filters but most installations also have racors etc. before the lift pump. The Racors catch almost everything and the on engine filters rarely need changing.
My on engine filters were difficult to access but when I inspected then after a few years they were like new because the racors did all the work.

Simplest thing for you to do is just add a racor on the suction side and dont worry about the on engine filters.

There are shorter filters available, quite short in fact.
Ok, thanks. I think that there isn’t enough height on the 225s for both the adapter and the filter. Oh well...
20191016_175312_HDR.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom