Bored Covid project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Due to Covid and my wife taking care of her elderly and not healthy dad, we have been trying to stay home as much as possible. Since I can’t work on the boat(it’s in Fl and I’m in Tx), we stumbled onto a little project the last couple of weeks.

We have two college age kids and are always helping them move into and out of apartments and dorms, so I bought a cheap 7x14 cargo trailer. We found a forum where people convert these little trailers into combo travel trailers but still use them as cargo trailers also. We decided to give it a try, even though we don’t have much skill in building things.

My wife’s big requirement was it had to have a shower with hot water, and a separate toilet that doesn’t sit in the shower like many do to save space.

This is what we came up with:

Coming home with the little trailer. It’s super light and easy to pull.
61395252121__5A458A2D-845A-49A3-AF6E-E33DFB9DA00D.jpg

Removed the plywood walls and installed foam insulation, then reinstalled the plywood.
61404204926__CBA55FB5-0F7E-4E13-8500-C47094B9CFDE.jpg
61404206056__F3319388-34EF-499D-A99E-1C5770DD8817.jpg

Getting ready to cut for windows. Jewel had to have some “escape” style RV windows because she thought someone could lock us up in the trailer using the big lever style exterior locks. The window install sucked because I had no idea what I was doing, but it turned out OK.
61421406883__C2149F74-57DF-42DF-A850-56121A1B5650.jpg
IMG_8772.jpg
61456254338__CBD1BCE8-2701-4CFF-ACB7-D590181E9917.jpg

We installed shiplap type boards because we think they look cool and look kind of like a beach cottage.
61429083696__421C37BE-E4BF-443E-A65D-FDBBF4472FDD.jpgIMG_8773.jpg

The front “V” area is where we reserved space for the bathroom for the shower, composting Nature’s Head toilet and the window AC mount and utility room under the AC.

IMG_8787.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8786.jpg
    IMG_8786.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I didn’t want an ugly window unit sticking out of the side of the trailer so I rigged up separate cooling ducts to for the intake and condenser exhaust. Then used some cheap boat portholes to connect the ducts to outside air.
61506351990__5405202B-FC5D-47A2-8EDF-B8CD02D156A0.jpg
61507092228__A027EF62-59CF-4462-A174-87EF137C6AFD.jpg

Putting in the battery, hot water heater, battery charger. Small 10 gallon fresh water tank will be above hot water heater.
61522786905__B1AF3D22-6DB2-4A80-BF8F-D05E869ADEFF.jpg
IMG_8832.jpg
IMG_8862.jpg

Working on the shower plumbing.
61581564400__ED4D5733-4FC0-4623-981D-AFAAC80D912F.jpg

Stand along sink cabinet. It uses a little pump that sits on a 5 gallon water bottle and the drains into another 5 gallon water bottle.
61592482517__DFBA47C5-23EB-48EC-A011-6F0CA29AF8F4.jpg
IMG_8853.jpg

Jewel installing her fancy looking (but cheap) stick on tile.
IMG_8903.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6229.jpg
    IMG_6229.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Well I guess that big bucket will do for now - seems you are all ready to go! :D

The big ramp door can be used as a back porch. Here is Jewel enjoying a cocktail at the beach cabin. This some old AstroTurf we had lying around. Will get some better turf and attach it to the big ramp door I think.
IMG_8839.jpg

Well I guess that big bucket will do for now - seems you are all ready to go! [emoji3]

That galvanized bucket is the shower base! I have not finished that yet. Hope it looks kind of like this when done (but smaller).

IMG_8739.JPG

Is that ramp insulated somehow?

Is that ramp insulated somehow?

No it’s not. It’s def the weak link in my insulation plan. It’s pretty thick plywood (3/4” I think) but no insulation. Suggestions? Maybe the AstroTurf will insulate it!

But now it's too nice to move things in! :D

Your shiplap is what makes it. Growing up, one room of our cabin was attached to what used to be the outside wall, so it was white shiplap similar to yours. It just says "summer place"! Looks fun and breezy. Nice use of space.

I have a trailer that's very similar to that. I optimized it for a move by building a lightweight (removable) loft inside and making a space where I could tie 4 x 8 sheets on one side below it. I have had thoughts of making a mobile workshop (just for my own use). My toolboxes would probably overwhelm it though. I was recently re-inspired when I ran across photos of a "race trailer" used for a racing sailboat. (I guess that's a thing.) It was so organized and you could just pull it right into the marina (well, some anyway).

Last edited:
But now it's too nice to move things in! :D

Your shiplap is what makes it. Growing up, one room of our cabin was attached to what used to be the outside wall, so it was white shiplap similar to yours. It just says "summer place"! Looks fun and breezy. Nice use of space.

I have a trailer that's very similar to that. I optimized it for a move by building a lightweight (removable) loft inside and making a space where I could tie 4 x 8 sheets on one side below it. I have had thoughts of making a mobile workshop (just for my own use). My toolboxes would probably overwhelm it though. I was recently re-inspired when I ran across photos of a "race trailer" used for a racing sailboat. (I guess that's a thing.) It was so organized and you could just pull it right into the marina (well, some anyway).

Yeah that’s what I told Jewel. She made it too fancy to use as a cargo trailer. Lol.

You are officially more bored than I am.

Is that a sleeper sofa?

It’s a futon we had lying around. Not super comfy to sleep on so far, but I just ordered a foam topper to help out, hopefully.

Interesting. How are you going to drain it?

Drill a hole in the floor. Put a container to catch the gray water underneath if needed. This is a low budget operation.

IMG_8945.jpg

No it’s not. It’s def the weak link in my insulation plan. It’s pretty thick plywood (3/4” I think) but no insulation. Suggestions? Maybe the AstroTurf will insulate it!

Remove heavy plywood; put on layer of foam; pace plywood back in place over the foam with standoff sleeves on bolts to prevent squashing the insulation? OR lathes the thickness of the foam crisscrossed instead of the bolt standoffs? Either is a brilliant solution. :dance:

Will you please discuss the suitcase with the 24” speaker in it, along with how is this used and what to do you connect to it?

Will you please discuss the suitcase with the 24” speaker in it, along with how is this used and what to do you connect to it?
Looks like a 12" or 16" speaker to me, plus a small tweeter. I'm wondering where the amp is that pushes it. My guess is it is the Dude's keyboard amp, and probably a dual use speaker system so he can blast some recordings while working/playing with his new travel trailer.

Nicely done, Dude & Jewel! I really like the interior a/c adaptation. Did you install a 30-amp shorepower connector?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 01. Why not? Idle hands are the Devil's plaything. Take a video. Then you'd have a movie trailer...

giphy.gif

That is a “vintage” suitcase from the 70s that I turned into a speaker. The 17” woofer is ridiculously big; not really for better sound, but just because I though it looked cool. The system actually sounds pretty good though!

This is the amplifier:
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai...-stereo-amplifier-with-power-supply--310-3000

Draws very few amps, and is powered by a small SLA 12v battery that has its own charger.

Make sure to put a good quality gasket around that hole. You could end up with rot there if you are not careful.

True. However the end of the tub drain is pretty long, like 5” so it will protrude through the floor quite a ways. But if the tub gasket leaks then yeah, the floor will get wet and rot eventually. The tub will not be actually mounted to the floor however so I will be able to check for leaks. It will remain removable so we can use it as a beer and wine chiller. [emoji51]
IMG_8947.JPG

Looks like a 12" or 16" speaker to me, plus a small tweeter. I'm wondering where the amp is that pushes it. My guess is it is the Dude's keyboard amp, and probably a dual use speaker system so he can blast some recordings while working/playing with his new travel trailer.

Nicely done, Dude & Jewel! I really like the interior a/c adaptation. Did you install a 30-amp shorepower connector?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

I installed a simple 15amp cord connection. The AC and battery charger will run off that easily, but not the water heater at the same time. The water heater has its own 15amp connection.

61483182708__A0C2E772-6236-4C0C-A9AE-0723BE342F49.jpg

Great minds think (somewhat) alike :thumb:

We bought a 5x8 cargo trailer and had it insulated with a side door and an egress window by the manufacturer. We had to go for a smaller trailer because our budget doesn't allow for a big hairy chested truck like yours.

While admittedly small, it takes less time to set up than a tent!

It has fulfilled our hopes for a Swiss Army knife solution bringing building supplies home, hauling heavy items for ourselves and family, and we've camped in it as well.

One thing we didn't plan on was its stealth function. We brought it home from southern BC last fall and were in the Jasper area when they closed down several large campgrounds for the winter. We spent one night in an overflow campground (a grim gravel parking lot affair) then spent a night parked on Jaspers main street where nobody bothered us at all. I guess we looked more like someone delivering/hauling something than someone camping illegally.

Another thing we didn't expect was all the friendly, smiling waves from people in passing vehicles and conversations we had with walkers and bicyclists when parked on the side of smaller roads with the back doors open and a small table set up for lunch.

Fun project, and will be snooping here for ideas.

I made canvas / screen panels for the rear and side doors for a friend that used his enclosed motorcycle hauling trailer for camping. Wish I took some pics but didnt. Easy & inexpensive way to get more light & air when temps are reasonable.

Murray,

Yes! Great minds! [emoji6]

I started out thinking about the stealth functionality of it as well, maybe being able to park wherever and sleep and not have to worry about finding a campground. However, with all the windows and portholes and exterior plugs and things I’ve added it looks a little less stealthy. Also, it’s so hot here I would have to run my little Yamaha generator for the AC all night, and I’m not sure how “stealthy” that would be. It’s pretty quiet in eco-mode, but to run the AC it won’t stay in eco mode so it would be pretty annoying for someone close by to have to listen to all night.

That is a “vintage” suitcase from the 70s that I turned into a speaker. The 17” woofer is ridiculously big; not really for better sound, but just because I though it looked cool. The system actually sounds pretty good though!

This is the amplifier:
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai...-stereo-amplifier-with-power-supply--310-3000

Draws very few amps, and is powered by a small SLA 12v battery that has its own charger.

Great idea and I love the slim profile. As mentioned, being able to adapt as a keyboard amp as well as music would also be a great idea.

Great idea and I love the slim profile. As mentioned, being able to adapt as a keyboard amp as well as music would also be a great idea.

Yeah it has a mini plug input so I could adapt that to the keyboard easily. Not that my playing needs to be amplified!

Along a similar line, I built 2 turtles (house on my back).

The first was built on an old Ford 9000 single axle gas engine tractor (think tractor trailer for in city deliveries). Took the 5th wheel off, built a deck on the frame rails and put a used 15' travel trailer (without the frame and wheels) on the deck. Below the deck in the back was a generator and trailer hitch to pull my 25' center console boat and trailer. It had heat off the engine, heat from a propane RV furnace and air conditioning with the generator. The town fathers of Hatteras, NC weren't really happy when the "Turtle" would arrive. Quite the conversation piece. I ran scuba charters out of Hatteras for the month of July.

Version 2.0 was a UD 2600 ("Dud") 24' box truck that I converted to haul human cargo to Florida. Visualize an 8' wide, 8' tall, 24' long space to work with. Removed the roll up back door, framed it and put a standard house door in the back. Furred out and insulated the walls and ceiling, then covered with half inch plywood. 6 bunks all the way forward with storage underneath. Then booth style seating on both sides with opening house windows over the tables. Floor was padded and carpeted for sound and heat insulation. It had heat off the engine, heat from an RV propane furnace and a window shaker air conditioner next to the back door that ran off the generator. There was a deck out back with trailer hitch below to haul the boat. And finally a bathroom on the right in the back. There was a boat style toilet with gate valve and 24 gallon stainless holding tank underneath. 6 guys going to Florida on a Manatee hunting trip, can drink a lot of beer in 15 hours.

Will have to see if pictures still exist for either. Pretty sure the statute of limitations has expired on all the outstanding warrants.

Ted

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom