Old 07-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #15
wkearney99
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you are considering a new refit I would suggest a Whale pump as they get rave reviews here on TF.
I'll second that. I've got several Whale "Gulper" 220 models handling our shower/sink sumps and they've been very reliable. They're designed to self-prime and not get clogged. The only thing in the sump box is a float switch, the pump is external, and in my install about a foot higher than the sump. If I were to retrofit new I'd take a hard look at Whale's integrated tank/switch setups. As it stands now, though, I just keep a spare Rule float switch onboard to replace the ones in the sumps. Damned things either last 10 years... or ONE.

I will NEVER have a sump box with a pump inside it ever again. Sumps are nasty enough on their own, keeping the pump in there just makes the inevitable clean out job that much worse.

I've got two gray water sump boxes, one for the galley sink and day head sink/shower. The other for the master stateroom sink/shower. The 220 are rated at 3.5 gallons per minute (210gph) and they each have no trouble keeping their respective 8L gray tank empty. My concern with a larger/faster pump is short cycling. Where the pump runs faster than the in-flow and it ends up running/stopping/running/stopping all the time. Mine tend to come on once a shower or sink had begun being used and will run continuously until about 15 seconds after flow stops. No surging pump sounds.

What model pump is it you have now?