Salon Re-Fit Project **PIC HEAVY**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baba Yaga

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Baba Yaga
Vessel Make
1979 Californian 34 LRC
Hey there everyone,

I figured this place has been so quiet I would add some content with lots of pictures, who doesn’t love pictures in a post? **Disclaimer-I’m not a woodworker, don’t own a shop, not in the marine industry, just a normal kind of guy with some basic tools**

With everything going on in the world I decided to do a salon refit and tackle some things on the boat I have been wanting to get done. Just to catch everyone up still reading this, and not familiar with things…I have a 34 LRC Californian, no lower helm, running twin turbo Perkins. Inside you will find nothing but wood everywhere you look, not to be confused with her sister boats that have wall coverings throughout (not a bad thing just pointing out differences). She was super clean and in fantastic shape, the PO, John, former member on here, took great care with her. You’re caught up now, let’s get going.

IMG_2588-1.jpg

We decided we didn’t like the yellow tint to all of the wood in the salon, were missing the original sette, and wanted to update the look a bit. So, we decided it would be a good time (covid-19) to get our hands dirty. Since we try to do all of the work ourselves, we knew it was going to be very challenging.

IMG_1872.jpg

We started with the removal of the brown stove, sink, and counters. Since the counters had three different heights we leveled and reset the fridge. We also removed the cabinet that filled the area where the lower helm should have been.

Next, since a cabinet was in the place where the ac/dc panel would have been located if it had a lower helm, it was relocated by the factory on top of the counter under the front facing starboard window (a total pain in the a** to see when switching breakers). We decided to move the vhf down in the same area along with the stereo (which was mounted in the middle of the countertop facing up by a PO).

0728C32D-87A4-4614-B382-3A8111708CDD.jpg

Next up was to build in a new sette. We decided we wanted to add some curves to the design to modernize it subtly. So, after many drawing and measurements we came up with a design and built it. For the curved section I used ¾ inch marine plywood and did a series of kerf cuts, used epoxy in the cuts and place in the jig I made on the floor to keep it in place until it was dry. I boxed in all the storage compartments and went back over the top edge and kerf with resin reinforced with fiberglass. I did a lot of sanding and painting, then skinned it with African mahogany veneer.

8B2BABC8-0520-4846-B1FF-2A8F5B16B411.jpg

Now for the sanding, lots and lots of sanding. Not just any old sanding, but the kind of sanding on veneer that if you went a tad to deep you blew threw it and the project was ruined. (I got a quote and it was 30k just for the sanding and they said it would be easier and cheaper to reskin the whole inside). Since I’m either a dumba** or not afraid of a challenge I went for it. After the whole project of sanding was done, I found only three dime sized spots I blew through and they all were in location that will not be noticed, yup got lucky. In all, the sanding alone took me 3 ½ weeks of being on the boat Monday through Friday from 9-3. The level of concentration during sanding was mind numbing and I really had to focus on the grain and when it popped out from under about 25 coats of varnish.

IMG_3313.jpg

I decided I needed to get out of the inside of the boat for a bit and started restoring the upper helm seating. This included making new hard backed cushions and sewing everything up, after all we are trying to do it all ourselves, remember? Restoring the upper helm also included taking out all of the old snaps and screws, replace trim on bottom that was missing, fill, sand, prime, and paint. For painting we are using Interlux Brightside. Also included with the upper helm is the wood backrest and foot rest. After hours of sanding I used TotalBoat Lust.

IMG_3864.jpg

I also took this break to sand, prime, and paint the generator since the color it was, was not an original Yanmar color and was driving me nuts (quick 3 day project).

After the sanding was complete and I could move my arms again, I next focused on building in the new microwave and design a catchy built in wine rack. For the wine rack I wanted polished stainless rings giving the effect of a P51 exhaust or something like that. It also doubles as a place I can put my Apple TV and PlayStation and it not be seen or sit on a countertop. With that out of the way I next decided to build in a TV which raises out from the rear of the countertop and can be see in the whole salon. I then focused on sanding and painting all of the areas inside the new sette, lockers, cabinets, and drawer areas in the upper salon. That was so much fun :/ I plumbed in all new outlets and boxes to allow us to have USB ports at every plug.

00693C94-946A-4A57-9FB8-DAEDD61931F7.jpg

1234EE6E-4B5C-420D-B1BF-68B32EB09B18.jpg

Our next step was to decide if we were going to stain, not do stain, use varnish, or go a mixed method. We chose to stain in a light mahogany because we wanted that red hue from the mahogany to really come back to her glory. We have just finished the staining and totally dig it. It might not be everyone’s taste but it is ours and love the look.

F3AA9F39-9CB5-43A9-ABC0-EB4BFFC925D2.jpg

40201C4E-762B-423A-8987-1C7A56B377B5.jpg

This is the point we are at in real-time. I will try to update this post as we move further along. We also have a website dedicated to all the things we are doing to BabaYaga, including the parts we are using and the parts or tools we didn’t like during the project. We would love if you had a look and followed us through this journey.

MVBABAYAGA.com

Thanks for reading and looking at the pics, hope you enjoyed!

Very nice! The settee turned out especially well. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Shifty, the settee was a blast to build. I can't wait to do the cushions and relax on the chase lounge portion of it!

Awesome!!! Great work. We like pics. Thank you for sharing

Great job! The curved setee is a very nice touch.

What kind of veneer did you use? Did you use contact cement or epoxy to apply it?

After the sanding was complete and I could move my arms again,

Ha! I bet more than a few here got a rueful chuckle out of that line. :eek:

Thanks for taking the time to share it - good stuff! I, too, would be interested to hear more about the settee veneer. I've never worked with it; turned out neat.

I need to sit down and take a break from all that sanding you did. It looks great and clearly improved functionality. My only cringe was at putting the wine storage above a heat source. Or maybe it's a motivator to consume before the heat effects it.

Ted

That looks simply fantastic. I’ve spent a lot of time back when on my FIL galley up 34 before we bought our Tolly. Great boat.

I like the rounded bench, that looks awesome and restores a nice corner to sit in.

I’ve also been sanding drawer fronts recently. For the edge profiles a fein multimaster with a profile sanding attachment has been working well.

The veneer looks incredible. I may do the same in my gallery for the lower cabinet frames which in my boat are veneer and 38 years of condensed gunk, old electronics holes and such just doesn’t get it done anymore.

For a “Normal guy with basic tools” you have done a fantastic job. Pat yourself on the back, if your arms still work that is. Keep us updated on your progress and top notch work!
Cheers

Very nice work! Inspiring even. I have some teak veneer I bought years ago to make some changes but am too chicken to start the project.

Great job! The curved setee is a very nice touch.

What kind of veneer did you use? Did you use contact cement or epoxy to apply it?

I used African Mahogany. I used a contact cement, I don't remember what brand, I can look tomorrow if you need the info.

Ha! I bet more than a few here got a rueful chuckle out of that line. :eek:

Thanks for taking the time to share it - good stuff! I, too, would be interested to hear more about the settee veneer. I've never worked with it; turned out neat.

Building it was a lot of fun since I had never done anything like that before. I got the idea from Sail Life (Mad's) on YouTube, he did a wall on his sailboat and I liked the look. The hardest part was making straight cuts with a skill saw and not having any skill for the saw ;)

You have to play with the amount of cuts you do for the degree of bend you make. There is a formula online for the distance of the cut for the curve, but after reading it I didn't apply the logic and replaced it with my own.

I did a few test pieces to finally get the right bend and cut ratio, after that it was just do the cuts and place in jig to dry. The jig screwed in the floor was a critical element though in my opinion.

The worse part about working with the veneer is you don't want to screw up the cut because that stuff is not cheap at all. After that it was like 7th grade woodshop and sand and stain the shelf to give to mom and dad :)

Let me know if you want anymore questions or I totally missed answering anything.

I need to sit down and take a break from all that sanding you did. It looks great and clearly improved functionality. My only cringe was at putting the wine storage above a heat source. Or maybe it's a motivator to consume before the heat effects it.

Ted

I ran the inverter micro many times and felt it to see if it delivered any heat and I never noticed any. I will heed your advice and just consume it at a quicker rate ;)

Very nice work! Inspiring even. I have some teak veneer I bought years ago to make some changes but am too chicken to start the project.

Oh, just go for it! Or I'll come up and do it with you for a tour of BC and a boat ride ;)

I used African Mahogany. I used a contact cement, I don't remember what brand, I can look tomorrow if you need the info.

Great, thanks.

Did the veneer you used have a backing material or just raw veneer?

I have a favorite Contact Cement.

Long, long ago, I worked at a shop that built contemporary furniture with laminate and lots of contact adhesive. We had a couple of guys that ended up im the hospital because the shop didn’t have proper ventilation. It wasn’t a great job but I learned a lot of good woodworking skills.

Great, thanks.

Did the veneer you used have a backing material or just raw veneer?

I have a favorite Contact Cement.

I went with the raw backing as I felt it would have better adhesion. My logic was, it would have better gripping power to the grains then if I went with a backed piece and introduce a barrier of some sort...could be way off base.

Long, long ago, I worked at a shop that built contemporary furniture with laminate and lots of contact adhesive. We had a couple of guys that ended up im the hospital because the shop didn’t have proper ventilation. It wasn’t a great job but I learned a lot of good woodworking skills.

I could see that happening and can say the stuff I used was super toxic.

I just put in a small cork floor and used a not inexpensive water based contact cement they recommended. First time I’ve trusted the new fangled low VOC cement. I’d use it again. Don’t know if it’s recommended for veneers yet. Traditional CC is nasty and dangerous stuff. It’s flammable and the potential for fire and explosions is real. I’ve used a gallons and gallons of it over the years and I’m not even a commercial guy.

I used it in a small v-berth to put up a headliner and even with windows and hatches open it wasn’t enough. Wore a respirator where my face was necessarily right next to the carpet, but that was not enough. Ran out of goo and luckily walked over to the local marine store. When I got there, I started telling the owner how the project was going. He just told me to sit down and made me sit there another 20 minutes, cause I was slurring my words enough he was about to call an ambulance, but after the walk I came round quick enough. Luckily I was an idiot before I started, so no long term effects could be noted. For about the last 5 years I’ve been losing most of my sense of smell. I can no longer judge when solvent concentrations in the air are too strong. Truth is, the low VOC products work now. It’s really not worth exposing yourself to this stuff at all now that effective alternatives exist. I can’t even imagine the long term effects of using this stuff professionally.

Thanks, I've been shopping for veneer

I went with the raw backing as I felt it would have better adhesion. My logic was, it would have better gripping power to the grains then if I went with a backed piece and introduce a barrier of some sort...could be way off base.

Thanks, I've been shopping for veneer and there are lots of choices.

Nice Job

Thanks for the incentive.!! I've Got a 84' 38 conv and going to update this winter!!
Great Pics. The old gal is all original and I've had her since 98' Definitely a project.
Dave

Really great stuff, Carl! I envy your woodworking skills and am glad my boat's PO updated some of the interior before me.

I just realized that without a lower helm, you lose the stbd door. Good idea to move the electrical panel.

Last edited:
Update to project

Happy Friday all,

Thought I would give a quick update on project.

We have been sealing up the wood preparing for many coats and sanding of varnish. Love the color and feel she is getting back to her glory days.

Have a great weekend and make sure to follow along on YouTube @MVBABAYAGA if that’s your thing, we would really appreciate it. Tuesday we drop an episode on comparing Epifanes to Totalboat!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq1L6bpblcjiSGElC-UGILw

Attachments

• 1EF6668E-1305-4B56-ADCD-567BC3405749.jpg
    1EF6668E-1305-4B56-ADCD-567BC3405749.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 36
  • F1B718B6-5C0D-46D0-BB96-79C49035C757.jpg
    F1B718B6-5C0D-46D0-BB96-79C49035C757.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 38
  • E68DEFCF-52CE-4084-8C0C-9311C6B5B6C1.jpg
    E68DEFCF-52CE-4084-8C0C-9311C6B5B6C1.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 37
Update

bic3.jpg

bic3_4.jpg

bic3_10.jpg

bic3_42.jpg

bic3_43.jpg

bic3_56.jpg

bic3_59.jpg

We are still working on the salon varnishing and getting ready to do counter tops. One thing we can all relate to is this project has taken so much longer than anticipated, but it is what it is!

Since it has been months and months of sanding and working the outside of our girl she has been a bit neglected to say the least, then add the local fires and ash and it was a disaster. So, we decided to take a day off from the work and clean her up a bit.

Here are some shots of her cleaned with and without her window coverings. We normally run window shades/screens on the outside during the summer but since the front needs to be redone I put on her winter coat. We love how just a simple piece of canvas can make her look happy and fresh.

We will be doing an update with the interior project in a few weeks.

Thanks for looking and reading and happy safe boating my friends!

I admire folks that can work with wood and have carpentry skills. Dang that project is great.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom