GPS Antenna question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianG

I have a Garmin GA38 antenna. It can be mounted flush on the roof or on a pole. is there an advantage to a pole mount? Confused.

I would think a pole, of various length, is only needed where a flush mount has a partially obstructed 'look' at the sky.

GPS is a pretty powerful signal. It need not be mounted on the roof. Almost anywhere metal or a ton of mass isn't blocking its view of the sky.

Think of it this way....it won't lose GPS, or have a bad (too few satellites) connection anywhere your phone has a good one.

I have mine mounted inside the flybridge console and out of the weather.

It should not matter. Our GPS antenna is inside the MFD that is under the hardtop.

GPS is a very low power signal and the higher the antenna the better the accuracy. The antenna will acquire more satellites as it's view of the horizon increases. I suspect the average marine receiver wouldn't notice the difference. If you have an unobstructed view you will find the rock before the rock finds you.

Last edited:
The GPS satellites orbit altitude is about 12,500 miles. A few feet of mounting height difference for your antenna isn't going to make any difference. I've been surprised at what the signals will shoot through but it'd make sense to have them have a clear view.
Radar manufacturers suggest that GPS antennas are mounted above the radar array.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom