New to Trawlers in PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryPete

Vessel Name
Positive Space
Vessel Make
Davis Defever 40
Hi Trawler Group: Closing on my first Trawler this week! Purchasing a 40' 1987 Davis-Defever. She needs some TLC and updating, but that is part of the journey. I look forward to getting into the San Juan and Bay Islands! If you're a Tacoma to Edmonds sailor, I would enjoy hearing from you with your boat maintenance leads and great anchorages! See you on the Sound! Gary

Hope you make it up here along coastal BC once the plague shrinks and the borders open.

That's our plan! Any "must go to" spots?

GaryPete,
Don't miss Princess Louisa Inlet. It is a long trip up, with no VHF coverage for part of it, but it is SPECTACULAR!
Beyond that, the list is very long. Get a Waggoner's guide and start exploring!

Welcome, and best of luck with your closing and subsequent journey!

Greg.

Hi Trawler Group: Closing on my first Trawler this week! Purchasing a 40' 1987 Davis-Defever. She needs some TLC and updating, but that is part of the journey. I look forward to getting into the San Juan and Bay Islands! If you're a Tacoma to Edmonds sailor, I would enjoy hearing from you with your boat maintenance leads and great anchorages! See you on the Sound! Gary

Welcome and congrats on the boat.

I spent 50 years sailing in Puget Sound before getting a Trawler. It was a great move. I keep my boat in Gig Harbor.

I also would suggest a copy of Waggoner’s. Lots of great places the Sound to explore and get to know your boat.

Where do you anticipate keeping your new boat?

Welcome!
The San Juans and surrounds are the pearl of NW cruising. You wont live long enough to see it all.

Welcome aboard! Nice boat, been wondering when someone would make it theirs!:thumb:

The plan is Poulsbo, but right now I am unable to find any slip available from Tacoma to Port Ludlow!

The plan is Poulsbo, but right now I am unable to find any slip available from Tacoma to Port Ludlow!

Yeah, moorage can be tough to find. I wish I had some good leads but I really don’t at this point. Moorage is hard to find in good economies and as near as I can tell the COVID slow down has’t affected the big boats yet.

Have you checked Brownsville Marina? Or Port Hadlock?

Port Orchard, Bremerton and Poulsbo all have Yacht Clubs with slips and covered moorage. Yacht Clubs typically have less expensive moorage and shorter waiting times for moorage. Boathouses are available for purchase at some Yacht Clubs.

There are three private marinas in Port Orchard that usually have slips available. Poulsbo also has several private marinas. Might be worth checking.

Doesn't help you (distance wise) and with Covid border restrictions very difficult to get to, but Point Roberts, Wa. Marina has lots of space.
Blaine might as well.
Good luck finding space.

Have you checked Brownsville Marina? Or Port Hadlock?

Port Orchard, Bremerton and Poulsbo all have Yacht Clubs with slips and covered moorage. Yacht Clubs typically have less expensive moorage and shorter waiting times for moorage. Boathouses are available for purchase at some Yacht Clubs.

There are three private marinas in Port Orchard that usually have slips available. Poulsbo also has several private marinas. Might be worth checking.

Great suggestions. I you find a boathouse for sale, almost always the moorage space is transferable.

That's our plan! Any "must go to" spots?

Definitely, for sure, whatever you do, don't go north of Cape Caution!

Any rumours you may be hearing of amazing scenery and uncrowded anchorages are completely false. Best to stay south. Tell all your friends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom