ZF Hurth Transmission Oil Drain port-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

The PO of our 2006 Mainship 400 plumbed one of the X-Change-R Oil System ports to the Hurth Transmission. He added an in-line shut-Off valve and what looks like a pipe extension at the trans mission oil drain cap.

Draining the oil from this gearbox looks to be super easy and the in-line shut off valve (from the gearbox to the Xchanger) fittings leak a little oil into the bilge so I was thinking of just removing this pipe thing on the upcoming fluid change....

Anybody have a source of where the drain plug can be ordered.?

Thanks in advance for comments..

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_143122040.jpg
    IMG_20200711_143122040.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200711_143050319.jpg
    IMG_20200711_143050319.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 26
  • ZF Hurth ZFE80-1 Data Plate.jpg
    ZF Hurth ZFE80-1 Data Plate.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 27
So, it seems you have the easiest oil change solution already in place yet you want to remove it and go to draining the transmission oil into some sort of catch pan and then messily (potentially) transferring it to a disposal can of some sort. Kinda defeats the purpose of the oil exchanger system. If it were I, I would simply replace the leaking valve.

Bayview, I was going to make the same comment on the pipe. It needs to be there (apparently) in order to clear the shaft flange. But, it should be a steel pipe rather than copper. Copper, with vibration, can work harden, then crack. Not good. Steel, no problem. I know this from experience.
I agree why not fix the leak. A pipe attached to a vibrating engine is not the best idea.

When I checked on my ZF 85A I was told the plug is 1/2" NPT thread.
Should be easy to find an valve / adapter that would fit
Fumoto has some new additions but pn quick look didn't see 1/2" NPT but did have 1/2"-20 UNF. They may have an adapter??

My mistake, I meant to say the oil isnt leaking from the pipe extension, its leaking from the On/Off Valve fittings.....see the red tee valve in the pic....I think he had it installed in order to incorporate this gearbox into the X-Changer....

if you guys think its a good idea then maybe when I change the fluid next time, fix the leak in the valve fittings as well and leave it as is..

Attachments

• IMG_20200713_121233.jpg
    IMG_20200713_121233.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 21
Yep, that copper tube cantilevered out is a bad fatigue situation. Get rid of it and order a drain plug from ZF. Or if the plug is tapped for NPT, just put a pipe plug in the NPT hole.

I think that gear is easy to drain by a sucker lance down the dipstick hole. Been a while since I did one of those.

I seriously doubt that drain hole in the case is NPT.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom