Guest berth modification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Retriever

Vessel Name
Bay Retriever
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
Need for building plans and suggestions to join the two single mattresses together in the guest cabin in my 2004 MS 400.

It should have come with the boat. Should be one long narrow cushion and two filler boards that tightly slide into the tracks between the berth.
My boards are stored under one of the berths but the long cushion is left out all the time along the hull.

What Kent said. Mine came with the filler as well.

What Kent said. Mine came with the filler as well.

Gary

If possible, please send pics. Lots of spare parts under mattresses, but don’t recall seeing any tracks or wood filler boards.

Here's a pic, not my boat but the same deal. The filler cushion is on the side of the mattress. I will try to measure the filler boards this weekend. There is a lip under the berths that the boards sit on, but not readily visible unless you lift up the bunk a bit.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 32
These parts are klunky and often get moved into someones garage, attic, basement, shed. They soon forget about it and long after the boat is sold, they find it. At that point, it often gets thrown out. I've never known anyone to attempt to follow-up with the broker, but even if they did, once a boat is sold the listing broker rarely knows how to locate the buyer....or cares. (Sure, maybe there was contact info. on the P&S, but I don't recall placing a phone number on a P&S in the past).

I wonder if something changed along the way. My 2005 400T isn’t like that. The moulding around the mattresses is not flat like that. It stands up to hold in the mattress - it’s solid; doesn’t lay flat and there are no tracks. It’s all smooth. If I were on the boat right now, I’d take a photo, but I’m not.

I’ll post what I find tomorrow when I’m on the boat. Crossing my fingers that the groove is there and that the boards are under the bunks.

Bear in mind that unless you plan on adding a mattress topper of some sort, that center section may not make it a comfortable double bed. It'll just be a pair of twins with a set of ridges in the middle.

I've debated arranging something similar for the twin berths on our EB47 but got stuck on the realization it'd end up being uselessly uncomfortable. Well that and, unlike the pictured setup, the center section in mine has a cabinet in-between. The combined area would have that as a u-shaped bump out. Making it even less worthwhile.

These parts are klunky and often get moved into someones garage, attic, basement, shed. They soon forget about it and long after the boat is sold, they find it. At that point, it often gets thrown out.
Heh, that's what has happened to the nearly useless mattress insert and base for turning the L-shaped salon couch into a bed. By the time I unbolt and move the table (and anything where said table would need be moved to), pull up the cushions, extract the base and 'mattress', set it up and put all the cushions back into place... ugh, it just wouldn't be worth all the trouble. Thus it's in the attic at home.

I wonder if something changed along the way. My 2005 400T isn’t like that. The moulding around the mattresses is not flat like that. It stands up to hold in the mattress - it’s solid; doesn’t lay flat and there are no tracks. It’s all smooth. If I were on the boat right now, I’d take a photo, but I’m not.

I have the same set up on my 2004 400T. Perhaps it was an option.

Looked yesterday. No grooves or slats along the edge of the bed frame. Guess it was either phased out in 2004 or an option.

I have a 2004 and the boards/filler piece came with it. I have a hard time imagining this being an option, since the lip the boards sit on seem to be integral to the assembly. I forgot to look this weekend but I will try to get details next weekend. If I recall, its not really a slot but a lip the board sits on.

Back
Top Bottom