View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #323
mcarthur

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
When I saw the reference to VHB tape I assumed it would be used to hold the metal clips. I agree that tape to foam isn't a good idea.

My Soundown is held in place by large fender washers with screws through them and into the wooden underside of the sole. I realise you don't have wood, hence the clips. Once those are reliably fixed in place then you will have options for something with a decent amount of surface area to spread the weight of the Soundown out, beyond high point load failure conditions.
Sorry, yes I mean the VHB for alum clip/bracket holding to the hull, then continue with however is best to hold the sound material to the clip/bracket, exactly as you've said. You can afford to have quite a few per panel then if you are worried about the VHB holding the weight. I certainly was, but further reading suggests it will have more than enough holding power with a small piece on its own, let alone what I was thinking!

I'm thinking of VHB in lots of places too: our strongall aluminium build has almost no stringers, bulkheads or even gussets, so there is nowhere to hold up wiring and pipe runs. I'm hoping the VHB can help with attaching brackets instead of welding. Given how hard welding is to 12mm aluminium due to heat dissipation, I'm hoping VHB is my lifesaver in lots and lots of situations! Post-covid I can report back...
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote