Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarEast1

Hello all!

New member here saying hello.

I am Rob from Southern Maryland. Currently unencumbered by constant maintenance and costs associated with boat ownership.

Like a lot of folks COVID provided a departure from the trajectory we had mapped out.

I grew up in Ft Lau. spending a lot of time on mid-40' sport fishers. Since then, I have mostly enjoyed other peoples boats. As i wrote that I realized I have always dodged the boat ownership bullet. Looking to change that now.

Along with the COVID, we are becoming empty nesters. All our kids finished or finishing school.

I also wanted to thank you. I have been lurking here for a little bit, finding answers to all of my questions. Even the ones I hadn't thought to ask. This site is a terrific resource.

Damn glad to be here!

FE1

Welcome aboard. What kind of boating interests you now?
The search icon on the main page and "Boat Search 101" are your friends.

Welcome to Trawler Forum. Have fun with the new plan.

Thanks for the welcomes!

I want to sail the trade winds. Admiral isn't comfortable with that yet, so the compromise is coastal cruising until I can retire. Probably a looper for the next couple of years.

Admiral has never been aboard a boat that wasn't crewed. ~This is going to be an uphill battle for a while.

FE1

Welcome aboard from another Southern Marylander (Great Mills/Tall Timbers).

Loop vs Offshore

There is a lot of difference between a boat Loop- capable / comfortable and an offshore long range cruiser.
If the Admiral is used to crew, and comfort, then an easily docked mid to larger boat, 40 to 50 ft cruised between marinas may be the solution. Wide side decks and entertainment space with a large comfortable master bed suite might make her happier. And if she's not happy, nobody's happy. :)
Near retirement, look for the big stabilized passagemaker for the Windwards and beyond.
JohnS, Cheoy Lee 40 LRC

Welcome aboard!
Read through “Boat search 101” in the General Discussion forum to give you a feel for what you may want.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard from another Southern Marylander (Great Mills/Tall Timbers).

We have actually met George and I have your boat card.

You met my wife and I while walking the docks, very close to your old boat (the one you were prepping to sell).

Thanks for the welcome!

FE1

Reading my mind JohnS! I think this will be a 'now' boat and a 'next' boat.

High Wire, where is the want-vs-afford forum? ha ha! I have a good idea of what I want, and just get depressed when the reality of having to pay for it sets in.

I'll take a look, thanks!

FE1

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.
My recommendation to everyone looking is to be sure to write down your Musts, wants and dont wants for the type of cruising you have decided on (write that down as well)
Next have your mate, Admiral, SO or what ever term you & she are comfortable with do the same.
Compare and compromise ( do it her way) seriously... dont ignore, over rule, etc really discuss and try to reach acceptable compromises.
Then both go looking and make the hunt FUN not a chore. Mini vacations, etc for distant ones. Out to dinner after a viewing to discuss +/- and what might be ideal or better.
My wife has always had a veto if anything we were looking at didnt come close to expectations.

Back
Top Bottom