What is this gadget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianSmith

Vessel Name
Smartini
Vessel Make
2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
I recently got access to a bunch of pictures of Smartini when she was first built. One of the pictures, taken in the engine room, shows this gadget. It's no longer on the boat. Any idea what it is?

It's mounted on the front of the engine coolant overflow tank, if that gives you any helpful clue.

Attachments

• Mystery item in ER.jpg
    Mystery item in ER.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 88
Some sort of tank level gauge.

I am pretty sure a oolant level guage.

Had them on a couple of our assistance towboats.

Murphy guage I believe.

Bingo!!! Thanks!

There's now a plastic "auxiliary" overflow tank in its place that shows the actual level.

Attachments

• Murphy coolant level gauge.png
    Murphy coolant level gauge.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 60
Not sure all overflow tanks show the actual level.....

I believe these guages can be fitted with alarms.

Not sure all overflow tanks show the actual level.....

Correct, they don't. For one thing, the tube twixt them and the engine can get blockage or a kink in it. Level can vary depending on if the engine is running and/or temp thereof. Without a gauge like that (and maybe even with, I have no direct experience with a gauge in that application) the only way to know your true coolant level is take the cap off (once cooled down) and look inside the coolant tank.

Yes the Murphy level gauges have switch contacts which can be used to trigger alarms or any other service you can think of i.e. relays to start / stop pumps. Very reliable and useful on tanks that are difficult to access / see.

Correct, they don't. For one thing, the tube twixt them and the engine can get blockage or a kink in it. Level can vary depending on if the engine is running and/or temp thereof. Without a gauge like that (and maybe even with, I have no direct experience with a gauge in that application) the only way to know your true coolant level is take the cap off (once cooled down) and look inside the coolant tank.

I was wrong to call it an "overflow tank". It's a heavy plastic tank of about 2 - 3 quart capacity, mounted directly to the side of the actual tank, with a heavy gauge plastic tube running from the bottom of one to the bottom of the other. So it acts as a sight gauge.

On some new builds a gauge like this is installed in the oil pan before the engine is installed.

Will show engine oil level when engine is running , and with built in alarms can show low , or too high oil level (fuel leak perhaps)?

A full set of Murphy gauges allow an uninformed crew member to operate the engine as the system can ring an alarm to get the captain , or perhaps shut down the engine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom