New to Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yardsale

Hello all, Happy 4th! I have boating since I was 14 and have operated power and sailboats up to 44 Ft. I am in a partnership on a 36 sailboat. My wife occasionally goes along but prefers a roomier cabin and power.

We have started looking at powerboats from 32 to 42 and have narrowed it down to trawlers and convertibles where most of the cabin is topsides. We would keep it in the SFO bay area, either Alameda or Benicia and it would be for long weekends or a week or two.

I am not as familiar with trawlers as other powerboats but they seem to be my wife's favorite. We are looking at few next week and would really appreciate any input. I have listed them below:

36 Island Gypsy Europa https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...richardbolandyachts&&ywo=richardbolandyachts&

32 Grand Banks trawler
https://www.yachtworld.com/core/lis...richardbolandyachts&&ywo=richardbolandyachts&

CHB Tri cabin Diesel Trawler
https://www.ishkeesh.com/yachts-for-sale/asset=s1579648746135

36 Albin Trawler
https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/albin-trawler-3161181/

I am good with the DIY and do a lot of it (espcially wood and bright work) and don't mind buying one that needs some TLC. I am on the sailboat Crusier Forum and have found a ton of great folks willing to share their experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Mark

Our family just completed over 25 hours of driving down to Florida & back over 3 days. We looked at seven trawlers we were interested in via photos alone; narrowing down plenty ahead of time.

I would say go visit all of them, they look close in proximity to each other.

The Gypsy with 2 Lehmans, rear roof protection is very nice (coffee, meals, and rain protection). We looked at a 40' MT Europa this weekend and really like that style; though it was too small for a family of 4.

The Albin is also nice as your typical rear deck style.

Volvo motors, while the general 'story' is that they are well built motors, the aftermarket support is lacking or expensive. I spoke to the local supplier (Western Branch) here in Charleston, and confirmed my suspensions by either parts being no longer manufactured for even the most simplest items.

Welcome aboard. I have Lehmans in my boat, good engines. I personally would not buy a boat with a Volvo in it.

Our family just completed over 25 hours of driving down to Florida & back over 3 days. We looked at seven trawlers we were interested in via photos alone; narrowing down plenty ahead of time.

I would say go visit all of them, they look close in proximity to each other.

The Gypsy with 2 Lehmans, rear roof protection is very nice (coffee, meals, and rain protection). We looked at a 40' MT Europa this weekend and really like that style; though it was too small for a family of 4.

The Albin is also nice as your typical rear deck style.

Volvo motors, while the general 'story' is that they are well built motors, the aftermarket support is lacking or expensive. I spoke to the local supplier (Western Branch) here in Charleston, and confirmed my suspensions by either parts being no longer manufactured for even the most simplest items.

Thanks Awood35. Did you find one or two worth considering? My wife and I also like the Europa styles. Thanks for the heads up on the Volvo's, I know that is a real issue in the sailboat forum.

My daugher and her husband are moving to Charleston in August. She and I also visited the College of Charleston when we were looking for colleges.
Small world.

Thanks again for your help. We start looking on Wednesday.

Mark

Welcome aboard. I have Lehmans in my boat, good engines. I personally would not buy a boat with a Volvo in it.

Thanks Comodave,

I agree. The Ranger tug has them but they are new, turbocharged and have parts! The volvo's are a big issue on the sail boat forum. Thanks for you input, I appreciate it.

Mark

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom