Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William983

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tortuga Roja
Vessel Make
Oceans PT Sundeck 46
I need some input. I seem to be having issues with the windlass on my PT Sundeck I bought a few months ago. The chain gets stuck a lot. I don’t think it’s the correct size.
Anyone know the make of this windlass? How can I tell what chain should be on there? IMG_5227.jpg

Maybe the wildcat needs to be changed?

Your chain might have some twists in it. Go into water deeper than your chain and run it all out. Let it hang for a while. It should untwist, then try bringing it in.

Be sure you have some kind of a stopper on the end.

pete

Last edited:
How is the chain getting stuck?

To me the chain looks small for the wildcat....but really hard to tell from just a pic.

There should be markings on the wildcat, but you would have to be able to see the faces of the wildcat.

Sorry cant help with make or model.....best guess is an older Maxwell.

Last edited:
As noted above, the problem could be a size mismatch or it may be the chain is twisted. So try the easy fix first- untwist the chain.

Most gypsies or wildcats (same thing so I am going to use "chainwheel" as Wikipedia recommends for no confusion) are marked with the size and type of chain it will handle, ie "3/8 BBB". Sometimes it is a code that the manufacturer has to decode for you. Usually you have to remove the chainwheel as the markings are on the bottom.

If there is no size code, then the next thing you can do is go to West Marine or similar chandlery and buy a foot of BBB and G4 (high tensile) chain (the most common types used) and see which one fits into the chainwheel best. Then match it up to your existing chain and see if you have the wrong type. Usually "G4" or "BBB" is embossed on each chain link.

David

Next time it does it , look in the chain locker and see if the chain is all piled up high right where it drops down. That will cause it to jam up for sure.

Where is it getting stuck? On the"chainwheel", in the hawse pipe, or in the chain locker?
Does it jam when running out or pulling in?

I don't see any obvious problems in the photo.
Check the chain locker as Russel suggested. That is the most common problem.

It’s binding in the wheel.

Looks to me too that the chain is mismatched to the wildcat or chain wheel. If the chain link and wildcat are mismatched the chain will jam OR roar out at some point which may be dangerous. THe link joins should fit nicely between the wildcat teeth and the link sit nicely in the pocket.

Pull a bunch of the chain from the locker, loosen the wildcat and lay two or three loose feet of the chain into the wildcat an pull it through. If it shows, the chain, any tendency to climb the teeth and not fit nicely then you will have to change either the chain or the wildcat.

Just be sure to tie the anchor so it stays put in the roller.

Absolutely check the other points also as they too can cause trouble..

"It’s binding in the wheel."

Head on down to the local supply with a piece of your chain and purchasing a foot or two of the next size or two larger.

It’s a Maxwell

Maxwells have a three digit code stamped on the gypsy that tells you exactly what size and type chain it is for.

My guess is, you have the wrong size/type chain.

You can contact Maxwell and they will tell you.

For example, here is the reply I got from Maxwell, when I asked several years ago.

Hello Richard

The 105 stamped in the chain wheel means the wheel is for 5/16" High Test grade 40 chain.

Best Regards

Will Vrooman
Sales Manager
Vetus Maxwell America

Guys. This comes from owning one. If the chain is piled up in the locker to the point where the chain no longer has a place to go, it will bind up in the wheel. The chain just has no where to go. Happens to me all the time. I run down stairs and knock the pile of chain over, back in business. Or did the chain just recently get replaced and the wrong size installed?

It would be easier to diagnose with a straight on shot of the chain rather than an angle, but it appears as though the chain link is too small for the gypsy.
1) Take measurement of length and width of gypsy slot and
2) Take measurement of length of chain link, width, and thickness of rod. (or just cut a link off)
Bring measurements to West. They should give you several sample links of the next larger size chain.

Far cheaper to buy a new gypsy to match the chain. Maxwell has an online tool to determine what gypsy you need. Chain Wheel Selection Guide
Maxwell still makes the VWC series so I suspect gypsies are available.

Next time it does it , look in the chain locker and see if the chain is all piled up high right where it drops down. That will cause it to jam up for sure.
Happened to me with a manual windlass . Make sure that the chain can fall out freely.

Sounds kinky but check out the the gypsy chain stripper. Make sure it’s set to strip out the chain.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input, the problem is Po had put 1/4 inch chain in 5/16 gear.....one more thing to fix...

Back
Top Bottom