Onan MDKD Generator low voltage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been through two different Onan Service techs and one independent

Update...another 15 hpurs of tech time and The stator was removed and most of the wires were severely kinked a few were almost entirely broken through. When the tech replaced it originally he must have caught the wires during assembly. When checking resistance with a Fluke meter there were still enough connection to measure the resistance as good due to the low current of the meter. A new stator was installed and the unit reassembled. We now have 240V. However as the load begins to be increased even as little as 5 amps the voltage starts to drop. At about 30 amps the voltage is down to 110 V. I imagine it is in the transormer regulation circuit or one of the other parts in the control. Any thought...At least we are getting close.

Wow, somebody messed up a stator install. Wish I would have thought of that.:rolleyes:

What have you got between s-1 and s-2 before during and after you remove the load?

Its fixed. The regulation transformer leads were swapped so it was decreasing the voltage instead of increasing it when they took the load. It was all due to the tech damaging the wires when he replaced the stator originally. I didn't pay for all the extra hours or parts they threw at it. I held them to the original estimate. In fact I deducted 30% from the original estimate for being a pain in my ass.

Total to date:

Technician time about 150 hours including there travel from Sarasota
2 Stators
3 Rotors
Regulation transformer
2 Diode Bridges
2 Exciter rotor and stator

Back
Top Bottom