View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
Marin's way is to wait till the blockage is enough to cause the engine temp to rise.
It's not my way, it's the way the pro shops do it, at least the ones I've talked to which includes Northern Lights/Lugger. Some people like to take things apart needlessly to check things when there isn't a problem manifesting itself. Sort of like rebuilding your car's engine every 5000 miles whether it needs it or not.

Others--- like me--- don't have the time to waste chasing unmanifested problems. One of the oil heat exchangers on our boat developed a leak a few years after got the boat. The boat's records showed this heat exchanger had been installed 16 years earlier. I took it off to replace it expecting to find a mess of corrosion and buildup but the inside was imaculate. The raw water tubes had reflections on their interior surfaces from the light coming in the other end.

If we begin to see issues like the ones I mentioned we'll check the main heat exchangers. But so far we haven't, so we haven't.

Besides, we have a spare engine so shoud we get an overheat due to a heat exchanger problem we'll just shut the one engine down and keep going on our way until the problem can be resolved.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote