New Windlass needed. so many choices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
I apologize to bring up a subject that has most likely been explored by this group over and over but.
I bought 1977 Marine Trader 40 Double Cabin in need of a new windlass and
need some guidance on size, power brand etc. Whatever info given me would certainly be appreciated.
Thank You
Alfonse Pagano

I installed a Maxwell HRC10-8 over the winter. So far it's worked great. Plenty of power, it's fast, handles line spliced to chain nicely.

Go to a few marine stores that sells windlasses and look at features, ergonomics and ease of install.

You might have to visit more than one store before you see everything out there.

Know what brand, type and size of chain you have, when you go shopping, since that will determine which windlass brand has the wildcat available to fit your chain.

If you have a rope/chain rode, you will need a wildcat that will handle both.

You might have to take a section of chain with you if you can not identify your chain.

People on forums will recommend the windlass that they purchased which may not be right for you or your boat.

Do some research on the web.

My windlass motor conked out. Emailed the manufacturer and sent him a picture. They emailed back saying the have good news. I was going to love the new windlass I was going to buy from them as parts were no longer available for my model. Old Lewmar.

I am going to start fro scratch and buy line and chain after I buy a new windlass.
Old line and chain have seen better times.

I did the same. Defender has a package deal where I got the line and chain for only $20 more. Should be here tomorrow

My windlass motor conked out. Emailed the manufacturer and sent him a picture. They emailed back saying the have good news. I was going to love the new windlass I was going to buy from them as parts were no longer available for my model. Old Lewmar.

Rebuilding the motor was not an option?

I have a bad shoulder so hauling an anchor and chain by hand was not something I wanted to do. I did this once and my arm was sore for a week. I could have motor rebuilt but did not want to wait as this summer has been a challenge to get Off the dock(weather and repairs) so want to get boating. May have it rebuilt and the sell.

If going with a new rode, start from your anchor and spec back to the windlass.
Is the anchor you have the one you want for the size of the boat and your cruising area?
If so, then go to the swivel or shackle that is a strong as the holding power of the anchor, then the grade and size of the chain and rode, and finally to the windlass which will handle that system.
I am also using a Maxwell 10-8 that I replaced an inadequate Lewmar with. It was set for 5/16 chain, so I have 300ft of that and 200 ft of 5/8 Yale 8 brait to an 80 lb Manson Supreme anchor.
We are a 40 ft Cheoy Lee at 38,000 lbs half loaded, and I wanted an anchor and rode such that when set, I could sleep soundly, as I am sometimes hard to wake.
There are a wide range of prices out there for the same equipment. Search the deeper pages. I found our Maxwell at hodgesmarine.com but there are others with much lower prices than WMarine or Defender
Also look at the online Maxwell installation instructions for the size of electric cable needed. PO had used much undersized wire.
Good luck.

Yes, absolutely use adequate size wire so you don’t have much, if any, voltage drop. That will help the windlass from overheating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom