Impeller Install Issues Cummins Diesel QSB6.7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What does he get for that thing? A few other similar ones around the interweb, seem very pricey for what they are ($150 - $450). No prices on his website which $ugge$t$...

I purchased one from him a couple of years ago. I paid $120 for the Sherwood P1716 pump (17000K impeller) Installation Tool for 6BTA Cummins. That included USPS Overnight shipping. Really a fantastic tool and beautifully made.

Here's another one!

Impeller tool.

Attachments

• Impeller puller.jpg
    Impeller puller.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 37
What does he get for that thing? A few other similar ones around the interweb, seem very pricey for what they are ($150 - $450). No prices on his website which $ugge$t$...

The one for my Lehman SP225 was in the $40 to $50 range if I remember correctly.

Is this tool for installing the impeller or removing it?

Removing. Our removal process just used a single bolt; didn't need that black thing...

Mine was $98 suitable for the 450C Cummins impeller (Sherwood pump). Worked great.

-Chris

Last edited:
Dave
The tool Codger2 showed is the removal tool.
I had my yard change my impeller last season in prep for a cruise as I was busy doing other tasks. After some attempts with their tools they finally asked about using mine, like pictured, and all went smoothly.
The only improvement that helps is the supplied metric bolt isn't long enough to extract the impeller. I was able to locate some longer full thread metric bolts that make the removal much easier.
I also have and recommend the ratchet piston ring compressor for installation of the new impeller.
I haven't found it necessary to remove the pump to do the R&R so far.
If you have and use the tool the impeller # have to include a "T" as the last digit indicating it is threaded.

Last edited:
Removing. Our removal process just used a single bolt; didn't need that black thing...

Mine was $98 suitable for the 450C Cummins impeller (Sherwood pump). Worked great.

-Chris
Christian
Must be a very different looking impeller than photo shown? The ID of my gun looks like the photo and as rather large and the black insert is required to screw into the hub. Then the bolt is used to apply the pulling force.

Christian
Must be a very different looking impeller than photo shown? The ID of my gun looks like the photo and as rather large and the black insert is required to screw into the hub. Then the bolt is used to apply the pulling force.

Yes, the impeller for our Sherwood pump was threaded a similar size as the (pictured) bolt. I used a couple different length 3/4" x 16 bolts to back the impeller out.

Sherwood makes a similar tool with a T-like handle too, but it was really an off-center T and there wasn't easy room to swing the handle.

Easier to put a battery-powered ratchet drive on a standard bolt head, out comes the impeller in about 30 seconds.

-Chris

I modified a couple of bolts to remove the impeller and promptly misplaced them. I know it is on the boat somewhere. SIGH

If it is a “keyed” impeller, slightly taper the outer end of the key with a grinder wheel before you place it on the shaft and it is a lot easier to move the impeller into place.

I normally use a liberal coating of lanolin grease on the inside of the pump housing and on the cover plate seal. It doesn’t react with anything, keeps the seal in place and provides a slippery surface to move the impeller over.

Back
Top Bottom