New Member from Miami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hankster08

Greetings all.
Forgive me in advance for all the dumb questions I may ask, because we (my wife n I) are "potential" newbies.

We are just now considering buying a power boat later this year, in order to make a ICW trip next year, early summer.

So I am looking around for all sorts of info, not just on boats but the trip it self to see if it is feasible to do for someone so inexperienced. Other than driving a runabout, no larger boat experience. Our plan would be to buy a boat later this year and then man it regularly until early summer, then take off North.

Looking for something 31' to MAX 39'; probably can't really afford anything larger than 34-36'. Used of course

Working on a FL License right now. Reading ICW posts etc.

So, first is it feasible to do for someone so inexperienced?

Second, how old a boat can you really trust? 10yrs 20yrs 25yrs ?

Welcome aboard. Look at all the boats you can, make a list of must haves and must not haves. Buy the boat you want/need. Then take the time to learn how to run it safely. Check on insurance because with a lack of experience you may have some hoops to jump through. As to how old, it depends entirely on the individual boat. Find one that is in the best condition you can afford, and then most importantly, have fun!

Welcome! Of course it can be done. Get the training, if needed, and the experience to be confident in most things enough to fake the rest, and assume an attitude that every outing is an adventure to be enjoyed and learned from. Make sure your dreams are shared by your wife and ensure that she has an equal share in making the experience a reality. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Greg

Look at an American Tug 34/36
separate shower checked the block for me. Dont have to wipe down the bathroom after you finished showering.
Everything just fell into place.

Welcome aboard Hank. The GB is a classic, Lehman pretty bulletproof.
Like Comodave said, look at all the boats you can, it's the best way to educate yourself about this style/size boat as well as the market.
What you want to do, your budget, and your lack of experience, your willingness to learn all make an ICW trip very doable.

Good Luck :socool:

Hank, when you say you are working on a Florida license, what exactly are you doing?

ok, but would a boat like this be considered (EXAMPLE ONLY)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/grand-banks-36-classic-3670345/

mu initial budget is $100k, or am I totally wrong.....

Fine looking boat. Get it surveyed before falling in love with it.
I dont like the GB because of all the exterior teak.
The 'wet head' is a bit discouraging.... gotta wipe down the head after each shower.
The Lehman engine is very basic. It works or it doesn't, end of story. Plan on 7knts... Fuel economy will be fantastic.

Last edited:
Yes, i would have it completely surveyed. I presented this only as an example, as in, I would hope that this Forum's collective knowledge would be able to tell me:
don't consider a boat older than (??) because ie. electrical/electronic system would be so far out of date, or the plumbing, etc etc.
No way will you (me) be able to find a suitable boat for under $100k; or $150k or $200k etc

You can get a suitable boat that will serve your purpose well for your 100K budget. All the advice so far is good. Age isn't really a factor as much as condition and how a vessel has been cared for. The GB in your example is a '77, classic with a bullet proof engine. At 43 years old she should be considered. For the price you can afford to upgrade what you have to and when ready there will still be some resale value.
Another example, There are a lot of the same vintage Mainships out there still running original Perkins power, and perhaps good candidates as well.
Your target size and budget are very reasonable, there are lots of potential boats available, you seem to have a good basic understanding of whats necessary. Knowing your own limitations is very valuable.
The trip is straight forward, well marked and discussed all over the internet. Your fellow cruisers will be helpful, and you will be in range of help all the way.
Get Tow Insurance, great peace of mind for someone like you and maybe invaluable

Good Luck :socool:

You have plenty of money for a used boat, even some new or nearly new boats would fit into your budget.

Boat age is relative. Older boats are often "better" boats. Get a well cared for boat and the loop is waiting.

Join the GLCA (Great Loop Cruisers Association) it is an invaluable forum type of group where you will find a wealth of Loop information, including used charts, boat info, places to tie up, anchor or stay.

Go For It.

pete

I am curious about this boat and it's pricing:
this is 2004 review of this boat, apparent value mentioned $400k
The one up in Ft. Lauderdale is a 2006, "marked down" from $225k to $149k

why would the pricing drop so much??
does the fact that it was made in Australia and imported here have an impact, in that parts might be an issue?

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/voyager-v1040-flybridge-9576/

I am curious about this boat and it's pricing:
this is 2004 review of this boat, apparent value mentioned $400k
The one up in Ft. Lauderdale is a 2006, "marked down" from $225k to $149k

why would the pricing drop so much??
does the fact that it was made in Australia and imported here have an impact, in that parts might be an issue?

https://www.boatsales.com.au/editorial/details/voyager-v1040-flybridge-9576/

Price drop could simply be that it was greatly overpriced. I have no idea what apparent value is or means. Apparent to who?

Yes, being an Australian brand that is unknown to US buyers would play a role in it's market value.

Thank you for the follow up, that really starts to answer some of my concerns and my wife's, as she was worried about a boat that old.

however, just for grins, we're going to take a look at this
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/voyager-v-1040-flybridge-3657500/

it's in Ft. Lauderdale and we're in Miami; the GB is way up in St. Augustine

You need to really think of your use of the potential boat. My observations on that boat are a good lake boat, good local ICW boat perhaps. However, not a cruising boat. A couple of reasons. Only 128 gallons of water, 20 gallons holding, 264 gallons fuel.

I'd suggest you slow down a bit in the purchase quest and get some boating experience. Find a school that will take you out and train you a bit or a charter to do the same.

$400k was listed at the bottom of the (2004) review; how ever if that was Australia $$ then the price would be 32% less in US $$ or $272k
I doubt that I would buy it, especially now, since there seem to be many acceptable used boats available for under $100k right now; who knows how far the market might drop later this year. So I will be waiting and shopping. But I do want to start looking in person rather then just online. I am very leery of "sinking" even $60-$100k into a boat, because I know that's just the start. Some "fixup" $$, insurance, boat slip, equipment, etc, etc etc. All that b4 I turn the key. This is a scary process for us.

Catamarans have numerous advantages but remember they also have disadvantages. A primary disadvantage is that finding transient berths for something that wide is sometimes difficult and occasionally you are even charged for two slips because of the width. Also you want to look into the fixed radar arch, it might be too high for some of the low bridges along the loop. Most bridges will lift to allow tall boats to pass but some are on a schedule and require a wait. It is nice to just glide on through.

I would recumbent to keep looking.

pete

Consider chartering a boat for a week and see how you and your wife enjoy it. Google Grand Banks charter and there are several hits, including a 36'. We chartered a Mainship single engine 3 years ago and learned alot. We purchased a totally different boat but the charter confirmed my gf's excitement and clarified our priorities for features. The most expensive boat is the wrong boat.

currently see nothing like that in Miami, even just excluding GB and going for just charters. seems only hourly around here in Miami
I'll keep looking tomorrow. thanks

Yes, i would have it completely surveyed. I presented this only as an example, as in, I would hope that this Forum's collective knowledge would be able to tell me:
don't consider a boat older than (??) because ie. electrical/electronic system would be so far out of date, or the plumbing, etc etc.
No way will you (me) be able to find a suitable boat for under $100k; or $150k or $200k etc

Lots of stuff on boats can be replaced on your schedule.

Electronics is an example. If the existing stuff works and is sufficient enough so you don't get stuck in dirt all the time... and that doesn't take much... it often doesn't really matter all that much that it's "old." It's not uncommon to use what you get for a while as you decide what would be "better" and then eventually begin replacing a bit at a time or en masse depending on budget.

Plumbing is sorta ditto. If it's not leaking and water flows, that's great. If it starts leaking, PEX to the rescue. Or if a pump goes south (it happens), replace the pump, get on with life.

When you're shopping, of course you want everything there to be working... but bones are the more important criteria.

-Chris

ok, ranger 42c, thanks
I really wasn't aware of the PEX, but guess that's what they're using on shows like TOH when they are installing these brand new plumbing systems using the blue and red hoses. Been an "old house" home owner since '79 but never used anything but copper.
SO, that leads to my next "newbie" question, would you have a coil of PEX and maybe electrical wire too on board?? and what else?? space is a premium. I had a garage full of stuff and 5 mins from a hardware store, won't have that luxury on the ICW lol.
Now granted, we will be in a berth every night (I assume) so, I only have to "limp" along 1 day at a time w/o sinking.......

currently see nothing like that in Miami, even just excluding GB and going for just charters. seems only hourly around here in Miami
I'll keep looking tomorrow. thanks

Look for Ask Captain Chris on Facebook and watch his podcasts

ok, ranger 42c, thanks
I really wasn't aware of the PEX, but guess that's what they're using on shows like TOH when they are installing these brand new plumbing systems using the blue and red hoses. Been an "old house" home owner since '79 but never used anything but copper.
SO, that leads to my next "newbie" question, would you have a coil of PEX and maybe electrical wire too on board?? and what else?? space is a premium. I had a garage full of stuff and 5 mins from a hardware store, won't have that luxury on the ICW lol.
Now granted, we will be in a berth every night (I assume) so, I only have to "limp" along 1 day at a time w/o sinking.......

I had some leftover PEX onboard from a flushing project I did once, but that's the only reason I kept much. A few Flair-It fittings seemed useful to have on hand, but I never actually had to use any of 'em. And PEX and Sharkbite fittings are easy enough to find at the local big box store, courtesy of an Uber ride if necessary.

Ditto, not much electrical wire onboard, aside from maybe a few project remnants.

I'ts not all that difficult to source stuff along the ICW...

-Chris

I keep a little electrical wire on board. Mostly left overs from other jobs. It is never the right gauge, color or length, but it doesn't take much space. Same for water supply pipe. Never the right stuff. Carry some hose clamps and maybe some duct tape. Leaking water pipe won't sink your boat, mostly just annoying.

I keep a few alligator clip "jumper" wires on board. Good for emergency and trouble shooting.

pete

As others have said, make sure this is a dream of both you and your wife. In Florida, boats 30+ years old are considered antiques and registration is less than $10 per year. Also, in Florida, boats must be registered with the state even if they are documented.

Thanks amapola, my wife is totally "on board"....

but, what do you mean by "even if they are documented" - I had assumed the state registration upon purchase, just like a car

Unlike Florida, some states do not require you to register your boat if you are USCG documented.

My suggestion is, like some others, slow down before you make that investment in a trawler. I would take a course on trawlers and boating and there are several hands on, multi-day courses in Florida. You will learn all about boat handling, as well as living aboard for several days. You may find that you love it, you may find you don't or you may find that you love it but your wife would rather be home quilting or playing bridge. In any case, you will not have made a capital investment and taking on a long term maintenance expense.

The 06 Voyager is a well respected boat here in Australia, well laid out, economical to run and holds its value, sells for around $300k in Au. The only problem is difficult access to the engines, but most Cats are the same.

Back
Top Bottom