View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 03:26 AM   #19
Spinner
Guru

I second the Waggoner Guide recommendation. It contains a lot of local information about spots that might take some additional care. I’d also like to recommend their sister publication, Ports and Passes. This is a very comprehensive guide to tides AND currents. I find it’s easier to use the book over electronic data sources such as your chart plotter. When you make decisions about routes and timing, the whole year is laid out right in front of you.

The Swinomish Channel isn’t particularly tricky, unless it’s low tide and your boat draws a lot more than my 4’6”. Pay attention to the channel markers, and remember that they reverse orientation when you pass the town of La Conner. If you are new to your boat, you might want to time any stop at La Conner to coincide with slack water. The current in the Channel runs about 3 knots, making docking a bit tricky (but still do-able!).

The Channel is a no-wake zone, despite the commercial crab fishing boats zooming past at high speeds. It’s a lovely, relaxed little bit of scenery to traverse.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote