Posi-Lock Connectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, they're not designed for the marine environment. I see a point to induce corrosion into sealed wire, and doubt you get a vibration proof connection over time.

Ted
Agree
Give me a good old crimp any day. Add adhesive shrink type crimps and hard to beat with what I'd consider gimmicks.
You'd have to have an assortment even for emergencies so why not just carry an assortment of crimps?
You'd still need ring terminals for many situations and I didnt see them but maybe glossed over?

Any termination is a point of failure. On workboats and oil field they have moved to spring loaded terminations. The vibration keeps the wires tightening, reducing poor conductivity.

Older trawlers suffer from corrosion at the crimps.

Yes, I've used them a bunch. First time was hooking up a Standard Horizon radio with AIS to a Lowrance chart plotter using NMEA 0183 wires. It was a hit-or-miss game of chance since the color coding by various makers isn't standard. Nobody on the internet could agree on which wires connected to which. PosiLocks were perfect for this. Really easy to undo and try another combination. I was able to try various combinations until it worked. Then I just left it. That was 5 years ago. The little barbs inside that make the connections seem to be stainless so (if you are using tinned wire) you will get just as good a connection as a crimp fitting. Maybe better.

I just used them again making a connection where I couldn't get a crimper or soldering iron. Fast, easy, kind of expensive, but worth it. And they can be reused.

Making a good crimped connection is not that simple. I have had two instances of intermittent faults on critical equipment which took much time and frustration to correct. Both were caused by poor crimps hidden in difficult to access locations.

I use quality terminals and crimping tools but often have to do them twice to get a good crimp. In cramped or awkward locations crimpers are difficult to use and I often wish I had three hands.

Marine How-To article about crimping with their usual extreme detail:

https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

The Posi-Loks could be useful for some connections and the listed specs seem quite good:

https://www.posi-products.com/NewFiles/posi-lock-chart.gif

I have not used them but plan to try them out.

Used them in my car with excellent results.

I should note that the wire sizes given seem to be for stranded wire. Not a problem on a boat as that is what is usually encountered. Posi-locks didn't seem happy when used on single core. Stranded wire tends to get spread out and play nice. Not so when used with the stiffer single core.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom