Adding NMEA 2000 to SimNet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKDoug

Guru
Vessel Name
Melanie Rose
Vessel Make
1999 Willard PH
Question for someone who might know... I have a Simrad system using the SimNet through a hub, not linked. I want to add my new iCom 506 with AIS to the system, it needs the GPS for the MMSI to work correctly.

Can I just add an adapter cable to the hub and add a NMEA 2000 backbone with a terminator, pulling the terminator on the SimNet hub and replacing it with the new NMEA backbone with it's terminator? The radio should then communicate with the GPS through the network.

My understanding is that the SimNet is also NMEA 2000 but with it's own plug system, and that it should power up without adding another power cable using the SimNet power supply.

Hopefully someone has done this, the Simrad info talks adding SimNet devices to the NMEA backbone, but not going the other direction.

Thanks all!

You understand it correctly. It's just the cabling system that's different between the two. The powering and termination rules are still all the same. You can buy a Simnet to N2K adapter cable from Simrad, or you can take a Simnet cable, cut one end off (be sure to get the correct end), and install an N2K field installed connector. To Simrad's credit, they have been slowly switching their product connectors over to standard N2K connectors and phasing out the proprietary cables.

I have Simnet to NMEA cable adapters in 2 places. No problem.

Ken

Connected perfectly, immediately recognized the GPS and the data appeared on the VHF screen. Thank you for your input!

Of course as soon as you get everything working, something else quits :) Now trying to get my Webasto forced air heater back online, it locked out without giving me the trouble code before it did so...

Boats!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom