Need some Cabin Keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwiggl

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cady Girl
Vessel Make
Californian, Seaswirl, Brig, all others sold.
Need a source for House Keys for a 30 yr old Carver Californian.
Its a funky old school looking key. Looks like it would unlock the front door in of a house in 1920.
Any suggestions where to look?
Or should I just buy a "Jaws of Life" for an emergency?

If you mean like a skeleton key, those are easy find on the internet.

A place like kennyhardware.com is a good place to start, or the biggest oldest hardware store in your area.

I bought a blank and filed to match my 30 y.o. boat key.

It helps if you know the name of the type of key you are looking for, especially if you are ringing around locksmiths. I had to recently find a locksmith to copy a 30 year old cabin lock key, and it was called a "mortice" key.
One thing I learned, keep looking around regardless, if a lazy locksmith couldn't be bothered to help you, saying they don't make these anymore. Find a good locksmith.

I had the same problem with my N46 keys. Took awhile but, I did find a good local locksmith.
Now with my AT34, I went to the same locksmith and walked out with a half dozen exterior door keys..... of course, I have forgotten where I put them.
I'm sure we have all used the excuse, "It's on the boat somewhere." LOL
Or in this case, "I think I know where they are."

I had the same problem with my N46 keys. Took awhile but, I did find a good local locksmith.
Now with my AT34, I went to the same locksmith and walked out with a half dozen exterior door keys..... of course, I have forgotten where I put them.
I'm sure we have all used the excuse, "It's on the boat somewhere." LOL
Or in this case, "I think I know where they are."

......or leaving the keys at home, because that's where they are safer, and realising this after driving for several hours to the boat :facepalm:

Mortice keys

Attachments

• 7543FF02-DF83-40CC-8B1D-3A97C91D8C57.jpg
    7543FF02-DF83-40CC-8B1D-3A97C91D8C57.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 28
......or leaving the keys at home, because that's where they are safer, and realising this after driving for several hours to the boat :facepalm:

This marina requires a boat key at the office. I only had to use it once, to get the spare keys on the inside of the boat.
Now, I keep extra keys in my shaving kit when I travel.

Last edited:
Mortice keys

Aren't there numbers on the other side of the keys.

Find a big time lock store and ask them to make up the keys. The difficult part is finding the key blanks.

Last edited:
Yep, its a mortice key. Kenny Hardware has it.
Thank you.
Now if I could only remember where I put my boat keys.....

Update:

Checked with 4 local shops - no success. Probably the job was too small.
Brandon at Kennedy was very helpful but could not find a match. He can have it made but I have to order 1500.
I contacted Carver, Taylormade & Perko. No success.

This is amazing to me. It's a Carver! It would be a shame to put a padlock & hasp on such a nice boat. Guess I will go toward replacing the mechanism, and not losing the only 2 keys I have....

I’ve got something like that on my 1980 Tolly. Never did find anyone to duplicate, but I like the lock and old key. So I rammed up a sand mold and cast a few in metal. Aluminum worked best but I practiced a few pours of brass.

Spares for the now sold IG were handcut by the locksmith. The current boat, 2005 build, has similar type keys, any spares will be handcut too. Costs more than machine duplicating a conventional key but it`s the only way.

Back
Top Bottom