Finn 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady J

We bought the Finn 8 Lady J in late 2015. This is boat no. 59, built in 1989 in or near Gosford in NSW, Australia. Lady J is powered by a 3 cylinder Yanmar 3GM30 diesel engine. This boat has spent all of its life in South Australia, initially in Clayton Bay and then Victor Harbour. In the last few years the boat has operated in the Riverland region of the Murray River. It has been a sea boat and was set up for non-commercial cray fishing. Lady J has a dual axle trailer and tows well with a vehicle of sufficient power. She is very economical to run and has served us well on 3-10 day cruises of 50-200km on the Murray River. I am interested in hearing from other owners of Finn boats and would like to know if there is a register of these boats. We are members of several boat clubs, but are curious to know if there is a club dedicated to Finn owners. I am also interested in sourcing documents relevant to Finn boats.

Hi to another from Oz, and welcome to the TF, LadyJ. I doubt many, (if indeed any), of us are familiar with the Finn, so look forward to a description, and better still, photos, etc. We would like ot hear more.
Cheers, :)

Welcome aboard. Right, never heard of it. But would like to see some photos.

TF member Bogranjac1 has one. You could PM him if he does not see this thread within a few days. Here is an early post from him that has a pic of the boat (yes, bow IS at front of the trailer...). Search of threads he has started will give you extra leads on discussions.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/opinions-yanmar-3gmd-18126.html

I also see one around Brisbane, either in the Bay or anchored near the Gateway Bridge in the River quite a bit. Don't know the owner though.

Last edited:
SA Finn 8

Thanks for your response Comodave, Insequent and Peter B. I have followed some of the threads on Finns on this site and decided to join TF to carry on the correspondence.

We are currently cruising the Myall Lakes, a very beautiful part of NSW. We have seen a couple of Finns in this area, a Finn 7 at Tea Gardens and a Finn 8 (Puffin) at Lemon Tree Passage. I should add that we are doing this with Jock Veenstra, the well-known SA boating identity and his Spirit of the Coorong team, rather than in our Finn. Although this is our first trip with Jock, I can strongly recommend his tours.

I did try to include a photo of Lady J with my username (Lady J), but that didn't seem to work. As I get more used to how the TF website works, I will try again. In the meantime, some photos seem to have loaded on this occasion. The first, of Lady J on her trailer, as we bought her in 2015. The second on the Murray River, with some of the add-ons removed, e.g. the panels over the forward deck, which were ply and in poor condition. The pod on the stern was fitted by previous a owner to mount a second motor, a 36hp outboard. This didn't come with the purchase and in my view, would have very much unbalanced the boat. Even without the outboard the pod digs in at higher rpm. and probably acts like a drogue. We will eventually remove the pod.

Previous owners also added a winch and a platform over the forward cabin, the latter presumably for holding their cray pots. This structure makes climbing over the bow more difficult in some ways, but provides a padded surface for lying about and some shade for the cabin, so we have persisted with it. We have replaced some small fixed solar panels and now use a 150W folding solar blanket that doubles for use in other camping situations. With 45A and 15A portable power units, this blanket is more than capable of supporting a WAECO 28CFX fridge (the smallest in the range).

As we are operating on the river with many overhanging trees to dodge during mooring, and for ease of transport and set-up, we have removed the full mast and replaced it with one of less than half the length (not shown).

We have fitted an Origo 3000 alcohol stove in the recess under the helm position, but haven't used it much, preferring to cook on shore or in the well outside.

Having come from wooden boats, we thought that GRP might be easier to maintain and it is. We have had a few other problems with the boat, which we hope have now been sorted. Most significant of these was the unexpected decoupling of the prop. shaft from the engine coupling. The key had long since dropped out of the key way and had never been adequately secured in the first place. Auto bilge pumps are set too high in the hull and don't kick in early enough. Leaking around the stern gland has been unpredictable and the adjustment is difficult to get just right due to the tight location. Additional work and experience have helped us through all of this, but more frequent use is the best way to know and manage a boat. Thank goodness for the contributions of the (not so) amateur old sages in the boat clubs we belong to.

Compared to our wooden boats, the Finn is more tender and for a taller older chap, perhaps a bit undersized, but we are getting used to it. Sorting out comfortable sleeping arrangements is a work in progress and important for our longer voyages. Our multi-day camping trips are what we are most interested in and whilst we have the energy and flexibility, it will probably suit us well for this. Having a trailerable robust sleep-aboard boat is a great asset for what we like to do and the more days we are out, the more relaxed we are. We have been out for more than a month, spread over about 8 trips. May there be many more days and nights on the water! Life is short and then you die.

Attachments

• P1110122.jpg
    P1110122.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20151121_171142.jpg
    20151121_171142.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 50
We bought the Finn 8 Lady J in late 2015. This is boat no. 59, built in 1989 in or near Gosford in NSW, Australia. Lady J is powered by a 3 cylinder Yanmar 3GM30 diesel engine. This boat has spent all of its life in South Australia, initially in Clayton Bay and then Victor Harbour. In the last few years the boat has operated in the Riverland region of the Murray River. It has been a sea boat and was set up for non-commercial cray fishing. Lady J has a dual axle trailer and tows well with a vehicle of sufficient power. She is very economical to run and has served us well on 3-10 day cruises of 50-200km on the Murray River. I am interested in hearing from other owners of Finn boats and would like to know if there is a register of these boats. We are members of several boat clubs, but are curious to know if there is a club dedicated to Finn owners. I am also interested in sourcing documents relevant to Finn boats.

Hi,
I have had a Finn8 for around 5 years. Good trailer boat very seaworthy too. Also done the Murray as you are now - from Mannum to Tailum Bend, had to trailer her past a lock somewhere forget now but was a good trip.
I'm in NSW on the Hawkesbury ATM after doing Queensland for a couple of winters.
I have a few reviews of Finn8's I have gathered over time and if you send a private message with your email addy I can send it.
Question plz....how do you know the build date and production hull number ?
I know every inch of my boat and never seen a stamp or mark.
Regards
Brett

Thanks Brett. Re. the launch date etc. I have much of the original documentation for the boat. The Boat No. is also on a plaque, on the left side of the wheel.

More photos from a recent trip to follow.

Attachments

• P1170299.jpg
    P1170299.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P1170300.jpg
    P1170300.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200612_171426.jpg
    20200612_171426.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 38
Hi Guys
I also have a Finn 8,I purchased her last year she has'nt been in the water yet,needs repair of the hull,only a little to do now.
I'm in the Moruya area.
I need advice on how to bring her back on to the trailer,centering it etc.
My trailer is newish condition,do I drive it straight up onto the trailer or winch her on by hand.
As you can imagine I havent had much experience with her yet,any advice apreciated.
Cheers
Veejay

It depends on the type of trailer you have and if there are any regulations in regard to retrieval in the local area. If it is a roller trailer they usually winch on better than power on. Powering the boat onto a roller trailer it may not align as well as winching it on. A bunk type trailer works fine either way. Where I live now most ramos prohibit powering the boat on. Where I used to live out west powering on was the normal way.

Hi Guys
I also have a Finn 8,I purchased her last year she has'nt been in the water yet,needs repair of the hull,only a little to do now.
I'm in the Moruya area.
I need advice on how to bring her back on to the trailer,centering it etc.
My trailer is newish condition,do I drive it straight up onto the trailer or winch her on by hand.
As you can imagine I havent had much experience with her yet,any advice apreciated.
Cheers
Veejay

G’day VJ, can you post some pics of the trailer setup? If you don’t know how, there is a “sticky” in the main menu of the forum, quite easy to follow.

The boats have quite a deep keel for a trailerable boat, which will make it a bit more difficult than the runabouts you see driving onto trailers at boat ramps, where they just aim in the general direction of the trailer and hit the throttle ;)
It will also depend on the weather (Wind) and tidal flow conditions running across the direction you are wanting to load the boat.
Just go easy, especially to start with, if you have a floating pontoon or jetty to come alongside will make it easier, you may find a combination of both will work?
Drive the boat half way on and winch the rest, getting it lined up and centred is sometimes difficult, again, depending on the wind and current flow across the beam.

The south coast is a great location, launch at the Hanging Rock ramp at Batemans Bay and take a trip up the Clyde River, past Nelligen, right up to shallow crossing. Some great spots to overnight up river.
Tow her up to Jervis Bay, launch at Green Patch, plenty of good anchorages either to the north or south, depending on the weather.

Last edited:
I have a Finn 8 and trailer. I have tried both drive on (once) and winching (both manual and electric). The drive on approach worked to a point, but winching was still required unless you have a seriously steep ramp and are prepared to thoroughly drown the trailer. These are heavy boats, minimum 1.5-1.6 tonne dry, but mine is more like 2.0 tonne with 20-50L fuel and some other gear. They are also reasonably deep in the bow. However I have hand-winched on a number of occasions using the Powerwinch hand crank option. Plenty of rotations required and it is a bit slow, but manageable. My dual axle trailer has a skid keel rather than rollers, but there there are guide rollers either side of the skid. I was doubtful about how easily the skid would work, but it does. As Comodave says, drive on will work, but alignment of the keel at the stern is the problem and especially so, the deeper you bury the trailer. I would not like to retrieve without having at least one person to assist. A stern line to shore, plus a competent person with this line and a boat hook (preferably on the windward side). Even better, have a stern line and person to shore either side, report to them on how straight it is because they will have no idea. Small adjustments in alignment are best and keep them up as you raise the boat with the winch. A shallower trailer submersion probably works best because you have more chance to control and adjust the retrieval. I start with a bow line and pull by hand as far as I can go (without busting my foofer valve), clap the hook on the bow winch point and then back to the winch. With our Powerwinch we have a double pull system set up, i.e. pulley or block attached to the boat and the cable hook back to the top of the trailer, near the winch. If the boat is too far out we start with a direct pull, get it up part way, secure the boat to the trailer with the bow line, back off the winch and then set up for a double pull. Make sure you have a tie off knot that you can release under strain. Launching is fairly straightforward, provided the ramp is of suitable slope and you go in deep enough. I like to have a line on the boat to trailer to take the strain so that the safety hook can be disconnected once down the ramp, but again, you will need to have this tied such that it can be undone under strain. I think that's about it.

finn 8

Thanks guys for the very helpful information.
I'll post some pics soon.
love the boat and I'm working on her to get her ocean safe.
I cant wait to get her on the Clyde.
I had a Finn 7 that i moored at Mallacoota.
Mallacoota is a magnificent lake system,2 massive lakes.
The Finn 7 was a bit small for the family,the 8 is just right.
I'm going to practice with the trailer,all of your advice has been invaluable and has given me confidence.
thanks.
Veejay

Hi
I just bought a Finn 8.
Could you please tell me the hull speed and cruising speed?
Also I’m chasing a diagram or technical drawing if the boat if you can help, it’s for my rebuild of a forward wheelhouse.
Thanks
Roo

Hey Brett,
I just bought Finn 8 that was apparently on the water at Brooklyn for a while.
Do you know anything about it, specifically what engine was in it?
Roo

Hi Veejay
I just bought a Finn 8 with an empty motor bay.
What motor is in yours and whats your hull and cruising speed please?

Hi Veejay
I just bought a Finn 8 with an empty motor bay.
What motor is in yours and whats your hull and cruising speed please?

Hi Roofriend
I have a Finn 8 with an Iveco 4031M30 it works like a dream, cruising speed 9 knots.
I also have some design plans for the boat if you would like them.
I need an address to send them too.
Cheers
Veejay

Forgive me but can you please tell me
is that engine about 20hp?
also do you know the rpm of your prop at cruising speed?
Finally what is the size and pitch of your prop please?
Ta muchly in advance

probably best I post it to you by snail.
Slightly faded over the years, the copy I have is not that clear but good enough.
Cheers
Veejay

Hi VJ
Please post to
Roo Friend
95 Maynard St
Woolloongabba
QLD 4102

Thanks I’ll send you my bluejazz cd back!
Appreciate it
Roo

Hey Brett,
I just bought Finn 8 that was apparently on the water at Brooklyn for a while.
Do you know anything about it, specifically what engine was in it?
Roo
There is still one, a sailing version, on a swing mooring at Brooklyn at Dolphin Marina north of Sydney.

Just chiming in here as our family were the previous owners of Puffinn, a Finn8 moored in Lemon Tree Passage. Did a sunset cruise just prior to NYE on the Wangi Queen and we trundled past Puffin on its mooring, had a brief chat to the previous owner who'd sold it about 3mths ago. Was a lovely boat for the time that we owned it, I spent a big chunk of Uni break 30yrs ago de-fouling and repainting the hull, have got a lot of pics from that time. Was a very pleasant way of cruising around Nelson Bay and camping onboard. I found the split cabin arrangement to be pretty workable, day naps in the main cabin and overnight in the bow cabin. Wasn't the greatest thing to try and sail, as the previous owners had added large stabilising fins either side of the keel, which made it dire to try and steer under sail, but the motor got us everywhere we needed to go. There was steering within both the cabin and also on the midship open section, which was handy. Lovely boats.

Last edited:
Hi all, new to the forum though I have been reading all the Finn 8 stuff for a while. I just bought a Finn 8 and got her home last week. She's a bit of a project so I am hunting for any and all information on her. She's got WA HIN plates on her and a WA skippers permit sticker dated 2013 so must have been over there before finding her way to Victoria. No name, just FINN on the side of the cabin. I'll upload some pics with this post, hopefully. Hopefully some of you kind people are still on the forum and we can chat.
Cheers,
Rod

Attachments

• 20240401_160924.jpg
    20240401_160924.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240401_140609.jpg
    20240401_140609.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240401_140605.jpg
    20240401_140605.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 7