Hi from Montreal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam88

Hello everyone,
First off all thanks to everyone who is behind this forum and shares his time and experience with us. I’m absolutely new to the boating world who started reading this forum last February. So interesting and so much information I spent 3 to 4 hrs everyday here for the last 3 months. I’ve got my pleasure boat licence last week and today (very excited) we took a look at the first boat (1981 Campion 30 Mercruiser v6 trawler) and we have another boat to look at next Tuesday (1992 Prowler 30ft two cabin twin Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one drive). I decided to go with no longer than 30ft as a first boat as so far I have zero experience and plan to do only the local cruising. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

Hello everyone,
First off all thanks to everyone who is behind this forum and shares his time and experience with us. I’m absolutely new to the boating world who started reading this forum last February. So interesting and so much information I spent 3 to 4 hrs everyday here for the last 3 months. I’ve got my pleasure boat licence last week and today (very excited) we took a look at the first boat (1981 Campion 30 Mercruiser v6 trawler) and we have another boat to look at next Tuesday (1992 Prowler 30ft two cabin twin Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one drive). I decided to go with no longer than 30ft as a first boat as so far I have zero experience and plan to do only the local cruising. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Bienvenue a bord!
Instead of limiting you to a length, choose a boat that fit your needs.
Mine is 30 feet and perfect for the two of us but just depends on what will be your cruising style.

L

Bonjour. Use to live in St. Lambert, actually Preville, but a looooooooooong time ago. I had the good fortune to live in Montreal for Expo 67, I lived at the fair almost everyday.

Welcome aboard, best of luck on your boat hunt and purchase. Montreal was my home town as well. Lived on St Urban and in Outremont within walking distance to St Viateur Bagels. Best bagels in Canada and possibly North America. Was back a few years ago for more. I had the summer pass at Expo 67 and was there many day as well. Great memories. I look forward to my next visit and hopefully by trawler next year.

Bonjour Adam, and welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with these boats or engines, but a quick search showed me that these engines may need rebuilds as soon as the 2000 hour mark (apparently even if well maintained?).
My point would be, do some research before purchase, some due diligence, to ensure you are not buying into a larger expense than you anticipated.
Most of all, go out and enjoy boating!!

Welcome to TF. Remember we like pictures.....

Howdy from the year-round boating area. 30-footers RULE!

Personally I would not limit myself to 30 feet. But I would not prefer an I/O

pete

Hello everyone,
Thanks again.

If in good condition those may not be bad choices, but I assume you're selecting those based on budget.

Let's talk the pros and cons. Cons first. They're both stern drives and a 20 year and 30 year old stern drive may be very near the end of it's life and require a replacement. They're gas and most here prefer diesel. Their resale value might be near zero.

Now, the pros. You're trying to just get started with some local boating. I started with gas stern drives on the lake and learned a lot that way. They are decent options to start your boating career. They should have already been greatly reduced in price so minimal amount to lose on them.

Now, people will say it's not worth getting a survey in that price range. I'd disagree and say at the very least you need someone really checking the engines out.

Both are decent brands for starter boats, primarily for lake or inland use.

Wow, Thanks for all your answers...
So first of all is about my budget, I don't really want to go higher than 25k for the first boat as I don't yet know how my wife and the kids will love it. If they really do I would be ok for an upgrade in a couple of years. I wish I could find a single diesel trawler but this is almost near to impossible in my area especially with my budget. The best scenario is to find something in a good mechanical shape with maybe some minor reparations needed. I do really like Campion 30 trawler and the boat we looked at has a replaced Mercruiser 4.3 V6 with around 700hrs on it but there is no electronic at all and some fiberglass repairs were poorly done. ( I do understand it's a 40 years old vessel) All this for 23k.
1992 Prowler 30ft sundeck is for 18k . Will take a look at it Tuesday. My wife likes two cabin and separate shower options. I'm aware about Alpha drive and 1300hrs on the twin Mercruiser 4.3 engines as I understand this is close to their normal life. Found some interesting deals south of the border but I don't think this is viable option for this season thanks to covid.

Wow, Thanks for all your answers...
So first of all is about my budget, I don't really want to go higher than 25k for the first boat as I don't yet know how my wife and the kids will love it. If they really do I would be ok for an upgrade in a couple of years. I wish I could find a single diesel trawler but this is almost near to impossible in my area especially with my budget. The best scenario is to find something in a good mechanical shape with maybe some minor reparations needed. I do really like Campion 30 trawler and the boat we looked at has a replaced Mercruiser 4.3 V6 with around 700hrs on it but there is no electronic at all and some fiberglass repairs were poorly done. ( I do understand it's a 40 years old vessel) All this for 23k.
1992 Prowler 30ft sundeck is for 18k . Will take a look at it Tuesday. My wife likes two cabin and separate shower options. I'm aware about Alpha drive and 1300hrs on the twin Mercruiser 4.3 engines as I understand this is close to their normal life. Found some interesting deals south of the border but I don't think this is viable option for this season thanks to covid.
You don't need to restrict yourself to mtl area. I got mine from lake ontario and cruised it back, no big deal. One thing I would keep in mind with gas engines of this size is how thirsty they are as here gas is not cheap (well it is now but for how long).

L

Prowler comes with fully enclosed canvas, two full electronic pilot stations, all security equipment, hard top on the sundeck and as per owner is in a very good mechanical shape. In the same time a lot of this kind of boats (Prowler Carver) presently are on the market here and as I see it's not easy to sell it. Will give my feedback Tuesday afternoon.....
Cheers.

You don't need to restrict yourself to mtl area. I got mine from lake ontario and cruised it back, no big deal. One thing I would keep in mind with gas engines of this size is how thirsty they are as here gas is not cheap (well it is now but for how long).

L
I try to not to, but with my experience I'll probably have to hire someone to bring it close to my marina. As for fuel consumption for beginning I plan to use it for local cruising on weekends only and if we really like it as I wrote before we will be ready for an upgrade....

Bonjour,
M. 88. Have you considered renting a boat for a week or two? Yes, it will cost $$ BUT it will be a LOT cheaper than actually buying a boat and have your family not like it. This will also give you a bit of experience AND perhaps, you will find out some things you don't like about the model you rent or boating, in general.

Hello everyone,

Thanks again.

The Campion is a nice trawler, inboard shaft drive with the gas V-6. Probably gets reasonable fuel economy at trawler speed. This boat is very similar in design to the Camano’s now Helmsman.
The Prowler will be less fuel efficient with twin V6 I/O’s. you’ll want to check the Prowler carefully for any signs of rot in the transom and stringers. You’ll also want to check the condition of the fuel tanks on both.

James

Bonjour,
M. 88. Have you considered renting a boat for a week or two? Yes, it will cost $$ BUT it will be a LOT cheaper than actually buying a boat and have your family not like it. This will also give you a bit of experience AND perhaps, you will find out some things you don't like about the model you rent or boating, in general.

I already searched my area and found only 14 - 16 ft fishing boats for rent, in the same time with my one week old boat license will probably be hard to find someone ready to rent me a cruiser. What I think to do is to visit some local marinas and pay someone for a day or two if local cruising.
Thanks for your advice M.Firefly.

It’s not unusual for aluminum fuel tanks of that vintage to develop pinhole leaks in the bottom section depending on installation and supports for them.
Just a thought to at least have a close look at their condition and location in case replacement is required in the future, especially for gasoline.

James

Bonjour Yvan, bienvenu à bord [emoji4] I'm from Montreal too. The west end. I looked for a boat around Montreal and eastern Ontario for quite some time and couldn't find any. I ended up buying in Chicago last summer and we've been working on the boat the whole winter on and off in Chicago to bring it back this summer. Importing a boat is fairly easy but for the size boat you're looking for, you should have a few options here. Like other have said, I wouldn't limit myself to a 30'. It might actually be a little tight for a family of 4 or more depending on your situation. IMHO a 30' boat is nice for a couple. Mind you... I once have a 30' Searay with the wife, one kid and 2 rather big dogs lol and we still had fun so who am I to say... [emoji6]

Welcome aboard.

Give those choices I would pick an inboard any day of the week over an I/O. The good thing about gas engines is a relatively low cost of replacement. Crate long block engines are less than $2,000 US and given easy access replacement can be done in a day.

For that age boat with aluminum fuel tanks if it were in salt water I would say they are probably done. But in fresh water, given the tanks have decent drainage and are up off the hull a bit to allow air under them they are likely OK.

I would recommend a survey, especially since you are new to boating.

Good luck and have fun!

Bonjour Yvan, bienvenu à bord [emoji4] I'm from Montreal too. The west end. I looked for a boat around Montreal and eastern Ontario for quite some time and couldn't find any. I ended up buying in Chicago last summer and we've been working on the boat the whole winter on and off in Chicago to bring it back this summer. Importing a boat is fairly easy but for the size boat you're looking for, you should have a few options here. Like other have said, I wouldn't limit myself to a 30'. It might actually be a little tight for a family of 4 or more depending on your situation. IMHO a 30' boat is nice for a couple. Mind you... I once have a 30' Searay with the wife, one kid and 2 rather big dogs lol and we still had fun so who am I to say... [emoji6]

Salut Richard, thanks for your answer, if I do find something intersecting south of the border definitely will ask you for an advice. A lot of Carvers and Prowlers are actually here on the market (btw I’m from Île Perrot). Already saw a couple of boats and started doing my options wish list.... what about your boat, already in Montreal ?

Last edited:
I'm looking at the same thing and think that we may have even looked at the same boat. From my experience, I/O are something to stay away from if the boat is always in the water. I was looking at the Campion 30 in the Montreal area with the straight drive Merc V-6 engine. Good luck in your hunt and we may see you along the way.

Hi Yvan :) Sent you a PM...

Back
Top Bottom