Columbia River places to tie up in June?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
I am looking for a couple of low key places to tie up in June. Don't need services but would like dock space as my dog needs to walk a few times a day. I have just a little over a week to enjoy some private time with my family. Any ideas?

I am looking for a couple of low key places to tie up in June. Don't need services but would like dock space as my dog needs to walk a few times a day. I have just a little over a week to enjoy some private time with my family. Any ideas?

above Portland or ?

HOLLYWOOD

It really doesn't matter, just looking for some suggestions. Not Astoria, too loud of a dock. Otherwise bring it on!

We do like places that allow us to go for walks, nature or smaller town such as Saint Helens.

Elochoman Marina (Cathlamet, WA) is a quaint little spot with lots of places to walk.

Beacon Rock was awesome, weather wasn't great but we have had some breaks. We are the only boat sitting here at the dock. Can't wait to come back with warmer weather!!

1. Beacon Rock
2. Government Island
3. Coon Island
4. Sand Island
5. Martian Slough (Log Pond)
6. Walker Island Dock (no land access)
7. Cathlament

1. Beacon Rock
2. Government Island
3. Coon Island
4. Sand Island
5. Martian Slough (Log Pond)
6. Walker Island Dock (no land access)
7. Cathlament

Look at Active Captain to get reviews and instructions for all these places. Some of the write-ups are from Mr ASD himself. It is free to use.

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/

We are in St Helens today and the movie theater is actually open. Sweet rainy day place to be on the river.

Consider going up the Willamette as well. We like the ride through downtown and under all the bridges. We have anchored in Lake Oswego and the dog may enjoy the park there.

Look at Active Captain to get reviews and instructions for all these places. Some of the write-ups are from Mr ASD himself. It is free to use.

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/

We are in St Helens today and the movie theater is actually open. Sweet rainy day place to be on the river.

Consider going up the Willamette as well. We like the ride through downtown and under all the bridges. We have anchored in Lake Oswego and the dog may enjoy the park there.

Great ideas!!!! Active Cap't is a great site to hunt out anchorages.:thumb:

Downriver, Ilwaco is a nice place to hang out for a few days. Upriver, we also enjoyed Cascade Locks, Hood River and The Dalles with just one lock to cross.

Last edited:
Tied up for a few days at Government Island, weather wasn't great and there wasn't much of a beach since the water was so high. Moved to Beacon had a much better time there, places to explore, trails to walk and my son did some fishing. That was the best! Not only did he catch it, cleaned it, grilled it but enjoyed eating the fish he caught just hours before. It was a great experience on his special day. Looking forward to exploring that side of the river even more.

Rainier has a public dock. There are a couple restaurants, hardware, a couple small groceries and a propane seller within walking distance.

Tied up for a few days at Government Island, weather wasn't great and there wasn't much of a beach since the water was so high. Moved to Beacon had a much better time there, places to explore, trails to walk and my son did some fishing. That was the best! Not only did he catch it, cleaned it, grilled it but enjoyed eating the fish he caught just hours before. It was a great experience on his special day. Looking forward to exploring that side of the river even more.

Did you stay the night at Beacon?

Sure did, Beacon is on the open list. The trail to the rock is closed as you can't maintain social distancing though. We still had a great time.

Glad you had a great time at Beacon, one of the Admirals favorite places to spend a few days.

Yeah - what was not a surprise (due to the weather) we were the only group there. No other boats, other than a fishing boat which was visiting with friends up top.

Elochoman Marina (Cathlamet, WA) is a quaint little spot with lots of places to walk.

How is the approach? I am 51' long. Last time I was at Cathlamet I was 22' long.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom