Integrity 386(2005)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I unscrewed the purely decorative 3 x 1 ft teak strips adjacent to the nav light backing plate(also teak). They do nothing except sit there deteriorating. Eventually I`ll remove them entirely when I have to do some painting.
Stbd side unscrewed ok. Port side the top 2 unscrewed ok, but the 3rd/bottom one, water drained from the screw holes. Uh oh. The screws go into a backing panel I can see from inside the locker with doors under the FB helm area. I think the cause is a leak at the horn attachment to the side of the FB which the Surveyor noted,but obviously it`s been leaking long enough to cause the equivalent of a wet core.Next job is to pull the horns off and do some sealing. Not sure how to dry it out, if I remove the horns and leave the holes to air I`ll get more water in from rain. Ah, the joys of boats.

It's quite alarming drilling into what you think is solid GRP and find water squirting out at you.
I did the same recently extending the space around the aft sundeck mooring bollards, drilled into the (mostly GRP) vertical windbreak/privacy panels, didn't realise the moulded edges had wood inside, water had ingressed over the years via cracks in the upper section turning the wood into wet mush. All still structurally very sound, but the shock of a small gush of water around the drill bit initially has you wondering if you have breached a water pipe :eek::)

I suppose that only the lowest of three pairs of screwholes yielding a stream of water is a comfort. The 3 a side teak strips are as useful as the Irish pole sign reading "Do not lean bicycles against this sign".

I suppose that only the lowest of three pairs of screwholes yielding a stream of water is a comfort. The 3 a side teak strips are as useful as the Irish pole sign reading "Do not lean bicycles against this sign".
Yeah, not as useful Bruce, as the sign saying, "If you're looking for the Lansdowne Road Stadium, it's 3 miles back that way..!" :D

'sok, I'm part Irish... :)

Well friends, I really have left the ranks of the IG owners. Doriana has sold, the new owner lives at Whale Beach, so I hope to see her around. After over 10 years, there is a little sadness, she was a good boat, we have good memories of times onboard.
Because of the IG/Halvorsen/Integrity common design origins I still feel part of the group.
FYI, the Broker was Andrew Storey of Cottage Point Boatshed. He is essentially a busy shipwright, I expect much of his work comes from KMYC members, but enjoys a little broking as well. I would happily recommend him, both as a broker and a shipwright.

Congrats Bruce. Always sadness mixed with relief when one sells a boat. Usually the relief somewhat greater than the sadness though. Ask me how I know... :flowers:

Thanks Peter. The surprise is, boats are selling. It`s probably a "make your own holiday" thing,when there is still much we can`t do. The share market is inexplicably high too, I hope the confidence is well placed.

That was a quick transaction, well done. I've been hearing it's still hard to find good boats on the market these days.

Bruce, I was up at Smith's creek on the weekend for a couple of nights, and we popped into the Cottage Point Kiosk for a paper,coffee and breaky, only to see a sold sign on Doriana in the agents window. Bitter sweet indeed.

I took a slow motor around the mighty IG as a mark of respect. She looked a little lonely.

I don't know about Andrew Storey's broking skills but he is a tip top shipwright. he did extensive work on Sarawana just before we bought her 12 years ago. Excellent workmanship.

I`ve heard several positive references for Andrew`s shipwrighting, including Paul(Annabelle). He worked on Doriana 18 months ago, booked out months ahead, you have to wait, patiently, but he gets there. A rule I learnt in a brief post retirement time in Real Estate: if you like the agent the buyers probably will too.
I hope Doriana has a good home. The buyers know boats and apparently really liked her, a good start. Let me know if you see her about, we`ll be looking too.
SB, as to boats selling, the Riviera 40 Sundeck on our marina had its first looker pay a deposit. Nice boat, stairs moulded into the usual "climbing wall" transom.I heard detailers are busy too. I figure they`re buying boats because of no cruising, no flying overseas, even issues going interstate. Buy a boat, do your own thing.

Last edited:
.............SB, as to boats selling, the Riviera 40 Sundeck on our marina had its first looker pay a deposit. Nice boat, stairs moulded into the usual "climbing wall" transom.I heard detailers are busy too. I figure they`re buying boats because of no cruising, no flying overseas, even issues going interstate. Buy a boat, do your own thing.

I liked the look and concept of them, and if I hadn’t found a trawler style, I would have pursued them further. My biggest issue (maybe) would be the typical Riviera lack of headroom and short bunks, as my son and I are 6’6”.

Hope you have many pleasant cruises on the Integrity Bruce, I’d like to have a look one day, once the borders open up again.

I liked the look and concept of them, and if I hadn’t found a trawler style, I would have pursued them further. My biggest issue (maybe) would be the typical Riviera lack of headroom and short bunks, as my son and I are 6’6”.

Hope you have many pleasant cruises on the Integrity Bruce, I’d like to have a look one day, once the borders open up again.
The Riv 40 aft cabin is spacious in the saloon, I didn`t check the fwd cabins but the aft was generous. A well cared for boat with(ahem) older, very nice owners we`ll miss.
We`ve had several good weekends on board, but still have to fix some issues, like storing the dinghy somewhere usable, and it has work we knew about pending. It`s biggest plus is noticeably better handling in a seaway or wake.
Freed up border crossings are looking less likely everyday. Parts of Melbourne are "off limits" as Covid spikes, although not actually locked down. Opening up northerly Queensland for winter warmth relief for southern state residents looks further away. But one day, yes, it will be better.

Rudder Indicator

My Integrity 386 has nice rudder indicators at both helms. They did not work, or so I thought. I asked the Yard Electrician to look at them, along with some other issues.
He discovered they work fine, you just have to turn on the" Instrument Panel Lights" breaker. Never occurred to me.Wonder if all Integrity boats are the same. Meantime I had the Raymarine autopilots on standby, which gave me rudder indicator.

On the previous IG if you turned the main "Nav Lights" switch on, the panel lights were on. Which meant, if you ran the anchor light all night, the panel lights at both helms were on, all night. We fitted a switch to control them, but that`s how it was designed.

On the previous IG if you turned the main "Nav Lights" switch on, the panel lights were on. Which meant, if you ran the anchor light all night, the panel lights at both helms were on, all night. We fitted a switch to control them, but that`s how it was designed.[/QUOTE]

I don't have that issue Bruce. The anchor light and panel lights are separate on Sarawana.

On the previous IG if you turned the main "Nav Lights" switch on, the panel lights were on. Which meant, if you ran the anchor light all night, the panel lights at both helms were on, all night. We fitted a switch to control them, but that`s how it was designed.[/QUOTE]

I don't have that issue Bruce. The anchor light and panel lights are separate on Sarawana.
That`s good. Otherwise you waste some amps. Doriana is still at Cottage Point, where she was sold. So is Sojourn, at present. They get along ok.
I found the bottle of CSR Inner Circle Rum. It`s a mere 75.9% proof alcohol, not 79.5% as I misremembered. Might drink it after all.
Got my new Sarca Excel today, from Sarca direct, at "Boat Show" price,a small discount but better than a poke in the head. Going to sell the Super Sarca No.5 soon, it didn`t fit.
We`re hoping to have Xmas onboard, going out Xmas eve if all is good.

Still at the yard but getting there. All running gear serviced, straightened, etc reinstalled. New antifoul. Polishing. Bow/bowsprit rot removed. About to attack rot spots in the fwd trunk cabin top. Dinghy snap davits to go on. We`ll have her back for Christmas, I think. Yard forgot to renew shaft seals, shafts back in, oops, will check and service them for now,do them next time with something off the bill.

Bruce
I hope you do get to Sojourn around for Xmas and the holiday period!

I was a bit surprised at the list of work being done, its a pretty new-ish boat after all. Out of curiosity, how many of the items were flagged in the survey at the time you were under contract, but 'subject to survey' etc?

Bruce
I hope you do get to Sojourn around for Xmas and the holiday period!

I was a bit surprised at the list of work being done, its a pretty new-ish boat after all. Out of curiosity, how many of the items were flagged in the survey at the time you were under contract, but 'subject to survey' etc?

My thoughts exactly.....

I think Bruce mentioned something about some survey issues, but assume he means prop or rudder shaft straightening.

Cottage Point, what a beaut location, the Hawkesbury area is quite special.

Thanks guys. I`m sure we`ll be back onboard by Christmas. Andrew Storey at Cottage Point Boatshed is a good man, but a victim of his own popularity, you queue a long while to get work done.
The rot I knew about from survey, but as usual, worse than expected.
It`s unusual wear after 15 years/800 hours. I knew the props were a bit tired but not the rest of it, though a rudder seal was repacked before the delivery from Melbourne because it was leaking. The shafts were found to be bent a little at the prop end, I guess that affected everything shaft related. The rudder bearings had up to 10 mm play which Andrew blames on the rudder mounting rack flexibility, now fixed by adding some gussets and reinforcements.
I don`t believe it happened on the delivery voyage. The guys experimented to get best fuel use for speed so fuel lasted between available fuel points, and ran at about 8.5 knots.
Balancing this was not doing a strip and epoxy of the hull as an osmosis belt and braces preventer, Andrew said it didn`t need it and not to do it. As we discovered at survey, water penetrates the hull coatings but not the gelcoat, it`s common on Integrity from that era. Though there have been instances of osmosis, it`s not present here. The hull work was an optional suggestion by the surveyor, who knew I was concerned about it, but at survey we opened a dozen small blisters, with no osmosis revealed.

Last edited:
I saw Doriana last time I was at Yeomans Bay.I was heading over for breakfast at the kiosk and passed her on the way in,she looks a little unloved at present.

I thought I saw Sojourn moored up in Yeomans. However, unless you have grown about 5" and now sport a lumberjacks beard probably not you.Either that or you are in police protection.:rolleyes:

Andrew Storey did extensive work on Sarawana for the PO, and has helped source parts for me from time to time, a good bloke.

I will keep an eye out for Sojourn when I am up there over Christmas.

Last edited:
Andy, I`m glad to hear Doriana was in Yeomans Bay, she deserves to get out of the repair yard. The new owners are ex yachties unused to trawlers, say hi to Paul if you see them.

Sojourn has only been to Pinta and Stingray Bays under my "command". We are desperate to have her back for Christmas.(TF would be relieved of my crap too.)

Andrew does good work. I estimate the bow rot repair circa $5K, they had to r&r the bow railing to remove the bowsprit(finding very little sealant used) and there are more spots to do. He has to get the dinghy mounted too.
Hope we get to see you, we usually go out Xmas eve.
(PS. Most only Aussies will "get" my "Iron Ore Termites" post in HC.)

Last edited:
Found this one in our marina Bruce, a great classic looking boat. There is a 350 directly opposite this one

Attachments

• B073867F-E6B3-408B-A55F-5D8B15B9E6D0.jpg
    B073867F-E6B3-408B-A55F-5D8B15B9E6D0.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 16
Good pic,and thanks Calum. See how much IG36 there is in it? We saw one when visiting Hobart last November on board (ahem) Ruby Princess (cough). Saw "The Patch" at the Botanic Gardens too, as featured on "Gardening Australia" for many years.

Good pic,and thanks Calum. See how much IG36 there is in it? We saw one when visiting Hobart last November on board (ahem) Ruby Princess (cough). Saw "The Patch" at the Botanic Gardens too, as featured on "Gardening Australia" for many years.

A gorgeous boat for sure, further down the arm is a 1998 IG 36, Vivante, which also featured on TF previously, also in stunning condition with twin Cummins 5.9 6BT’s and every bit of “fruit” you could ever equip a boat with!

Was that Peter Cundall’s “Patch”?

Now borders are open, it must be time for another visit to the Deep South?

A gorgeous boat for sure, further down the arm is a 1998 IG 36, Vivante, which also featured on TF previously, also in stunning condition with twin Cummins 5.9 6BT’s and every bit of “fruit” you could ever equip a boat with!

Was that Peter Cundall’s “Patch”?

Now borders are open, it must be time for another visit to the Deep South?
What a difference a day makes. I was thinking Feb/March using Jetstar credit(Hawaii>Sydney after cancelled cruise) to visit Tassie. Now who knows, with the new Northern Beaches(aka Insular Peninsula)Cluster.
Yes, Peter Cundall`s "Patch", now in the care of "Tino".
We get her back next week,running gear all balanced, recond,new bearings, reinforced steering rack, etc. All polished too. Shipwright invoking high performance water cooled calculator to prepare the bill.

Shipwright invoking high performance water cooled calculator to prepare the bill.

Ouch!

Not too worry, just think how much you are saving on all the overseas trips you are not taking, or for that matter the money you are saving on fuel not being allowed over the Spit Bridge due to being locked down.

Ouch!

Not too worry, just think how much you are saving on all the overseas trips you are not taking, or for that matter the money you are saving on fuel not being allowed over the Spit Bridge due to being locked down.
At least Andrew saved me the cost of bottom work he thought unnecessary. Yes, there are other savings, but....what a PITA just when we were doing so well.

At least Andrew saved me the cost of bottom work he thought unnecessary. Yes, there are other savings, but....what a PITA just when we were doing so well.

We managed to get all our Sydney based relatives out just in time and down here for Christmas. Hope you folks aren’t in the infected suburbs and can still get out on the boat.

The Hawkesbury system eastern shores border the northern beaches locked down " red zone". The southern part is less locked down. A dear friend, thwarted going to Melbourne(banned!),who we would have invited to Christmas on our boat if not stuck in the southern section,last reported out "exercising" and to buy a gelato and returning home to give the gin bottle a hiding.
As a result of numerous northern beaches/Pittwater boats being locked down, and rain, we scored a mooring in Pinta Bay with no usual 3pm horde of boats arriving with a leave pass after 4 hours of Aunt Muriel at a lunch attended by no more than 5/10 guests + unlimited numbers of children age 12 or younger(depending on incarceration zone), glaring enviously at our free National Parks mooring in the best bay of the system.

Last edited:
Sojourn in Pinta Bay

Christmas Day in Pinta Bay,Cowan Creek, Hawkesbury River system. Newly polished, looking her best. Note the custom registration, originally a Sydney boat we bought in Melbourne, re-registering it in NSW the original registration details stayed with the boat, no extra charge.
Although the waterway looks utterly remote, as the crow flies it`s not so far from roads and residences. Being in a national park, the area is preserved as it always was. You can stern tie to a rock, but not a tree. Moorings are good, depth is 10M, 15M and more in some places.

Last edited:
Hi BruceK,

You bought a very nice boat, If you will have as much fun with it as I have with my 32 located in the Netherlands then things are oke.
My 32 is the only one in the Netherlands as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom