Anchor chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
My anchor rode is all chain . How much should I have for the East Coast and the Great Loop? I think I have entirely to much.

How much do you have currently? And do you have a reason you need to cut out some weight up forward? Realistically, 150 feet of chain will cover most places on the east coast, although having more may open up some alternate spots to anchor.

If weight is a real concern, I'd cut the chain down to 150 feet and carry another 100 feet of line behind that.

Another option to save weight if the current chain is BBB would be to go to g43 one size smaller, although that'll need a new chainwheel for the windlass.

I’ve got 400 feet. I just figured there’s no need to carry that much if I’m never going to need it.

Most of the time you need less than 100'. There were a few spots off the Loop (Lake Superior) where I was happy to have more. If you're windlass will handle a combination road, 100' of chain and 200' of rope would cover all the bases.

Ted

That's probably more than you need, but depending on what places you explore while doing the loop, maybe not more than you could conceivably use. I'd think about cutting it down to 200 or 300 feet and use some of the rest for a chain leader on a secondary rode, etc.

If your windlass can handle chain spliced to line, maybe go 200 plus 100 of line. If not, I'd be more inclined to stick with 300 feet if the boat carries it well.

Personally, I carry 90 feet of chain and 300 of line. Having 200+ out is common locally (Lake Ontario), as anchoring in 30 plus feet of water opens up a lot of good spots that aren't packed like the shallow areas. I spent a couple nights this past weekend in 48 feet of water with 275 feet of rode out. I could have gone for shallower water, but this was the nicest spot in the bay and also the least crowded and quietest due to most people preferring to pack in tightly in the shallow areas.

Last edited:
I’ve got 400 feet. I just figured there’s no need to carry that much if I’m never going to need it.

I have 350' on my main anchor. Never used half (175') doing the Loop. But, I would want more than 175 of road available.

Ted

I think I’ll just cut off 100’ and go with 300’ of all chain.

I think I’ll just cut off 100’ and go with 300’ of all chain.

That should serve you well. And then you'll have chain to use for a second rode (probably not the whole 100 feet).

I had 400 feet of 5/16 BBB when I moved the boat (Grand Banks 42) from west to east coast. I cut back to 200 feet.

The last 100' of chain in the locker might be of a different condition than the top chain used most frequently, closest to the anchor. The last 100' of chain on my boat, when we got it, was rusted from 1" of standing water in the chain locker. Take a look at the whole chain before you cut.

I’m bad about actually measuring how much chain I have. All I know is it’s all chain. I guess the 3:1 rule and haven’t had any issues....until last week when we anchored in 22’ of water with a 2.5 kt current and a stiff wind. We dragged. So I relocated and dropped it all. I’m going to guess it’s 150’ ish. It held great. Getting it all back the next morning with a windless that’s doesn’t work was one hell of a work out. Fixing the windless has moved up on the “to do” list.

Most of the time we are anchoring in 5-8’ of water.

This has been in FL and GA.

Running the loop there is no coral so chain is not a requirement.

15 ft of chain , the rest nylon reduces the chain scrubbing to keep the mud from stinking while below..

We did the Loop with 100' chain and 100' line. No problems and only needed 120' twice. I now have 190' chain, 100' line. The boss watches closely to see that we are 7/1 on scope. Early in our cruising life I had to wake her at 1am due to dragging. I only had 4/1 out at the time. She doesn't let that happen anymore.[emoji33]

Dock bow in one day. Lay it all out on the dock and inspect every link before cutting.

Plus1for High Wire.

Really should be a job very early in a new to me boat ownership.
Lay it all out, inspect, measure, is bitter end secured.....
(Not say the OP did not do it)

And while you are inspecting it, put some kind of markers on it so you can know what you have out to the nearest 20-25 feet. Sometimes it is nice to anchor in a deeper area away from the madding crowd.

15 ft of chain , the rest nylon reduces the chain scrubbing to keep the mud from stinking while below..
I don't think I would sleep very well knowing there was only 15 feet of chain out there, but that is just me. I have more than that on my 20 foot boat.

I've got no smell issues despite pulling up very muddy chain just about every time I anchor. It gets a heavy rinse with the washdown as it comes up (and I'll pause for any mud clumps if needed). The locker has good overboard drainage and gets some airflow through the windlass hawse hole, so the chain sitting on top of the line dries within a few hours typically. There's just a hint of smell if I shove my head in the locker, but nothing significant and it doesn't spread into the boat.

If smell is a real concern, add ventilation to the locker and seal the hatch into the boat better.

I have about 130 feet of chain and about 100 feet of line. I anchor in 7-14 feet. I don't think we've ever used more than 75 feet of chain. The nylon is only for very deep water anchoring, which we avoid.

I've had several friends with nylon rode have it parted by idiots in day boats. They make two weird mistakes. They traverse the crowded anchorage along the bows of anchored boats (where the anchor line is) rather than the transoms (as if they think they're being polite by not 'walking through their backyard"). They assume the anchor line magically disappears once it's in the water (out of sight out of mind).

I had an idiot foul their prop in a nylon anchor line a few years ago. Fortunately, they didn't part the line. They saw it and chopped the throttle in time and momentum just sucked up a few wraps and put a small knick in the line. I pulled in the length and recleated in front of the knick and replaced the line after the vacation was over.

I guess the 3:1 rule and haven’t had any issues....

IMHO 3:1 is only good for a lunch hook or in extremely calm weather. I personally wouldn't want to spend multiple days at 3:1. Where we anchor the anchorages are tight. If someone comes in and anchors behind you, you can't pay out to 5:1 if the wind pipes up or a storm comes in. I'd prefer to anchor at a length that accounts of all possible conditions. 5:1 with all chain and 7:1 with a nylon rode is my standard.

Standard scope for me is generally around 3.5 - 4:1 during the day in deep-ish water (25 - 30 feet or more), 5:1 in shallower water. Overnight, 5:1 minimum in deeper water, in shallower I'll go for 6:1 or 7:1 if there's adequate space.

The last 100' of chain in the locker might be of a different condition than the top chain used most frequently, closest to the anchor. The last 100' of chain on my boat, when we got it, was rusted from 1" of standing water in the chain locker. Take a look at the whole chain before you cut.

It is a good idea to end-for-end the chain every so often and be sure the rode does not rest in water. If all-chain, consider attaching the bitter end using fiber long enough to appear on deck where it could be cut with a knife if it came to that.

You have more options by keeping it. Think option value vs. everyday practicality. This is similar to having an extra fire extinguisher, handheld radio, or life jackets. There are scenarios where it might be nice to have 400’ in an exigent situation. I will assume it’s bought and paid for, and the space is unneeded or not likely to be used for other things.

Here’s a scenario - you are in the Detroit River in 100’ of water admiring the skyline as you pass. You partner goes below briefly to make two sandwiches, but returns in an excited state and says there is heavy smoke coming from the engine hatch. There are 2 knots of current, it’s breezy, and a ship is coming up the river. You tell your partner to get two life jackets and meet you on the flybridge. You shut down the engines, quickly drop the hook until you see red chain (because the last 50’ are painted red), and go address the smoke problem.

Hopefully you never need it, but I can tell you from experience that these events happen to us daily and you have a very useful setup.

Best Wishes

I have about 130 feet of chain and about 100 feet of line. I anchor in 7-14 feet. I don't think we've ever used more than 75 feet of chain. The nylon is only for very deep water anchoring, which we avoid.

I've had several friends with nylon rode have it parted by idiots in day boats. They make two weird mistakes. They traverse the crowded anchorage along the bows of anchored boats (where the anchor line is) rather than the transoms (as if they think they're being polite by not 'walking through their backyard"). They assume the anchor line magically disappears once it's in the water (out of sight out of mind).

I had an idiot foul their prop in a nylon anchor line a few years ago. Fortunately, they didn't part the line. They saw it and chopped the throttle in time and momentum just sucked up a few wraps and put a small knick in the line. I pulled in the length and recleated in front of the knick and replaced the line after the vacation was over.

We had a guy in Kaneohe Bay cut through an anchorage , snagged and broke our lunch hook anchor line (5/8" nylon where he broke it). We were anchored off of the sandbar in about 30' of water. We were off the boat (GB36), so had to swim out to it before the wind blew her into a coral head . . . . The guy who cut the line was laughing at me swimming to get to the boat! :nonono: I spoke to him after I recovered the boat, told him he needed to recover the anchor/chain/rode, or pay for it. He laughed. I called the Coast Guard, someone else had already reported the guy. The Coast Guard showed up in an inflatable, took a report, cited the guy, and said the report would be available if I wanted to pursue legal action . . . I ended up following the guy back to shore, he went up and got $350.00 out of an ATM and paid me!

Then I went back to the GPS coord where I had dropped the anchor, dropped the main anchor (3/8" chain), pulled out the scuba gear and recovered my lunch hook, chain and rode!:D Worked for me!

During the day I always keep an eye out for idiots getting too close. For some reason, they love to buzz by 50 feet away or close across the bow. If it looks like they're going to cross my bow close enough that I have any concern for my anchor rode, they get a few blasts on the horn and if possible, a warning about how stupid they're being and a reminder that they don't want to pay to replace the ground tackle that's down there.

Itene wrote;
“ You have more options by keeping it. Think option value vs. everyday practicality. This is similar to having an extra fire extinguisher, handheld radio, or life jackets. There are scenarios where it might be nice to have 400’ in an exigent situation. I will assume it’s bought and paid for, and the space is unneeded or not likely to be used for other things.”

True but if you have an engine failure and wish to stay off the beach whether it’s rocky or sandy a 400’ rode may be most welcome. I sure wouldn’t want it in chain though. I have 400’ but most all of it is 5/8ths brait line. A “boat length” of chain is really all you need according to the Chapman book. And doubling the size (weight) of chain will do more for anchor performance than all chain. Roughly a quarter of the rode in chain but double the weight is better IMO. Some fishermen in Alaska use studded chain for the first 10 to 20’ of rode.

Attachments

• STH71067 copy.jpg
    STH71067 copy.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The only way I found to mark chain that you can actually see was to spray paint it. I spray 1’ of chain every 30’ and use a different color each time. I can then see exactly what is paying out from the helm. I anchor a lot so I must respray every year.

I'm probably in the minority but not a fan of all chain. I get that more chain should help with holding, but if you have a good anchor and set it properly, you shouldn't need 100's of feet of chain to ensure you won't drag. 300' total rode should be more than you'll need. I would go with 50-100 ft of chain and the rest nylon. Nylon gives some nice shock absorption and you don't need to deal with a bridle or snubber. Also, rope is much easier on your windlass. The more chain you run through it the faster it will wear.

Excess chain = excess weight. No need to carry extra weight you don't need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom