What GPS to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
I have a newer laptop and a Navionics account.
Currently using my I-phone but would like to swap over to the laptop screen.
Looking at the
GlobalSat BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receiver (Black)
Any issues with it?

My concerns with a laptop are:

1) Is it adequately daylight viewable?

2) Can it be mounted securely in rough seas?

3) Can it be adequately protected from water?*

*NOTE: Not just rain. We've taken very heavy spray (buckets) on the upper bridge doing 8 kts in 8 foot seas. Enough that it was the equivalent of standing in the shower with your clothes on. Admittedly....very rare, but it would have taken out a laptop.

My concerns with a laptop are:

1) Is it adequately daylight viewable?

2) Can it be mounted securely in rough seas?

3) Can it be adequately protected from water?*

*NOTE: Not just rain. We've taken very heavy spray (buckets) on the upper bridge doing 8 kts in 8 foot seas. Enough that it was the equivalent of standing in the shower with your clothes on. Admittedly....very rare, but it would have taken out a laptop.

We mostly use a lower helm mounted Garmin that's a few years old. It has a small screen. But I wanted to bring the laptop this time with the Navionics. Not mounting it, just tossing it on the table so the wife/kids can also see where we are at, and headed to. Its not going to be a fixture in the boat as I agree it would be best mounted.

Why not just purchase new or used tablet. I use a Samsung 10 inch, works fine on its own without a GPS receiver, it has one internally.

Why not just purchase new or used tablet. I use a Samsung 10 inch, works fine on its own without a GPS receiver, it has one internally.

Probably not a bad idea.
But I was trying to use what I have. The laptop is new... I have an older I-pad but its wifi only and linking off a hot spot like our phones does not work very well.

Last edited:
We've been using a laptop as our primary chart plotter in the pilothouse since the 90's. No flybridge so visibility and water are non issues.

It sits on a non skid mat on the chart table. We've been in some big seas and the laptop stays put.

We use a Furuno GPS.

If water getting on the laptop is a concern, have a boat top shop make a clear vinyl water resistant cover for it. We had one on our laptop when we had a flybridge boat and the cover saved the laptop on many occasions.

You didn't say what kind of laptop. The GPS must be compatible with the laptop operating system. I bought one of those GlobalSat GPS a few years ago and it would not work with my version of Windows.

Looking at the
Any issues with it?

I don't think Navionics runs on a PC. Tablet is your best option.

I use XGPS wireless with ability to support 5 concurrent devices. Very handy to be able to support more than one concurrent device, especially if you have guests aboard. Quite a bit more expensive ($129)

I use an iPad mini with a bad elf Bluetooth GPS receiver running aqua maps. Works really well. I use the same set up when flying little airplanes and use ForeFlight.

While it's different software, I run navigation software on my all in one computer with a simple GPS receiver that plugs into the usb port. I find it slightly more accurate than the Garmin GPS as it has a tighter overlay when running the same course past fixed marks. It was about $20 from Amazon

Ted

Our GPS puck for enabling the laptop is a GlobalSat BU-353-S4 USB unit. In early 2017 it was $36 from Amazon. Easy install. Works well inside the saloon.

-Chris

I have a VFAN puck I had to do some instally things using their disk and another no-name puck I have had for many years which just runs on any old windows laptop. I don't think there are likely to be many pucks out there which are not compatible with Windoze. I don't go anywhere without my laptop and its Coastal Explorer sitting alongside whatever plotter is aboard the vessel.

I have a couple GlobalSat BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receivers and have great luck with them on laptops or micro-computers running OpenCPN. I recommend you confirm compatibility with the software you plan to use, either the OS or chartplotting software, but it's a basic GPS puck that provides standard messages that most software should expect.

Greg.

I've been using the ublox gmouse ones on eBay for around $20
Using both Linux and win 10
Pick up GPS and glonass
4 years of faultless service

Yes it does, using their Chartviewer. I use a laptop to plan a route, I find it easier when using a mouse. Routes entered there synch with all of your devices.

Well.. sorta. I mean it's a website - it's not running on the PC. So it only works for you if you have an internet connection. The OP hasn't mentioned any other devices that he's synching with. I don't get the feeling that's what he's looking for since he wants a GPS. That implies that he's looking for live location chartplotting.

BD

Well.. sorta. I mean it's a website - it's not running on the PC. So it only works for you if you have an internet connection. The OP hasn't mentioned any other devices that he's synching with. I don't get the feeling that's what he's looking for since he wants a GPS. That implies that he's looking for live location chartplotting.

BD

Correct, I would like to have it live on the PC while under way so the wife/kids can look at it. While under way I use the same app on my phone/ and the Garmin/paper.

I use the Navionics a lot to plan routes/ expected time/ fuel use and yes I can share to other devices I have, my phone, the wife's, a few laptops around the house/office/car.

I use a laptop running Coastal Explorer using a USGlobalsat BU-353-S4 GPS puck (as one of the available GPs sources) and it works great. I also use the "non-skid" mat under it, and so far it has not moved an inch, even in some reasonably unsettled seas. I don't want to be out in much more than that. I also use an IPad running Navionics, using old Raymarine plotter as a backup. All told I have 4 separate GPS sources onboard, so good redundancy (unless GPS itself goes down).

Best bet get a Bad Elf GPS/GLONOSS/WAAS Receiver that can support up to 5 bluetooth connected devices.

Devices such as mobile phones and tablets that use cellular data, use GPS data supplied by cell towers to speed up positional determination and precision. No having this connection can negatively affect your determination of position.

This is why standalone GPS receivers are valuable...and NOT expensive.

Furuno gp32 and run rosepoint on the laptop. Gives you the option of running an ais overlay in the future and it’s way easier to plan routes than navionics, rosepoint can also control a lot of autopilot units and the ability to change routes on the fly with the click and drag of a mouse is awesome.

Furuno gp32 and run rosepoint on the laptop. Gives you the option of running an ais overlay in the future and it’s way easier to plan routes than navionics, rosepoint can also control a lot of autopilot units and the ability to change routes on the fly with the click and drag of a mouse is awesome.

Be advised that the Furuno GPS 32 and other GPS receivers will be affected by the upcoming GPS rollover.

I posted this about it:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...2022-affect-select-furuno-products-51039.html

Been using Global Sat 821 BT (blue tooth) with several different CPU's - Lenovo T420, Amazon Fire 4" and 7" - works great as GPS receivers go. Faster than Garmin built-ins (545 and 942) and at least as accurate. Using internal batteries, good for 6 to 8 hrs even on laptop! Tablet works great at helm (often wet) PC in saloon so mate can keep up with progress.

I'm going to suggest a different approach. My primary nav system on my boat is a laptop running Rose Point's Coastal Explorer. The GPS is a Garmin hand held. The connection is by USB cable rather than Bluetooth.

Yes it's a bit clunky but it affords me good redundancy.

I pre plot important waypoints and routes on Coastal Explorer then upload them to the Garmin. If I loose power to the laptop I shut it down and drop back to the hand held GPS which is good for up to 20 hrs on batteries. I have spare batteries aboard. When I get close to my final approach I fire the lap top up again which is good for 3 to 5 hrs on internal battery.

Should the laptop die it's hand held Garmin all the way.

Add at least minimal paper charts and you've got greater redundancy.

I've used this system for many years. As a working professional, a recreational boater and now in retirement as a delivery Capt. It's saved my bacon numerous times.

Because I value redundancy I've got Navionics and OpenCPN on tablet and phone. Particularly valuable on deliveries when I can't be certain of the boat's installed systems.
Looking at the
Any issues with it?

I use Navionics on a Samsung tablet, 9". It uses GPS and can use Glonas.

Between my wife and I we have three tablets that can show our position so decent redundancy.
We don't have space for a larger, more complex system.

They are not outside readable but since we don't use them outside its not a problem.
THey have done us well for about 5 yr or more when our laptop croaked.

I'm still a lap top guy for navigation. Mostly for the larger screen, faster video processors and USB ports for GPS, AIS, autopilot etc. Plus touch screens are a PITA to use accurately on a moving boat.

I recently purchased a used 15.6" Lenovo ThinkPad Quad Core I5 business laptop running W10 for $199 from Amazon.

Where else can you get a 15.6" screen for $199 in either tablet or MFD?

Last edited:
I have the same GPS puck but I am unable to get OpenCPN to recognize it. The instruction on the web site appear to be for an older version of OpenCPN so that does not help. I know the puck work because when I activate it the proper location is displayed. Do you have any suggestions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom