How many hours do gas inboard engines go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gassers are getting tired at 1,500 hours, very tired and showing symptoms at 2,000 hours and generally dead or nearly dead at 2,500 hours.

pete

Not necessarily true.

There are variables but I have personal experience with some mid and some large blocks that are tormented in commercial use and blow by 2000 hrs and never look back.

I have heard of many gassers going past 2500 hrs but often get replaced because of feel good reasons...not actual mechanical tests.

Not necessarily true.

There are variables but I have personal experience with some mid and some large blocks that are tormented in commercial use and blow by 2000 hrs and never look back.

I have heard of many gassers going past 2500 hrs but often get replaced because of feel good reasons...not actual mechanical tests.

:thumb: 200 hours a year is not out of line for annual use, so you’re rebuilding an engine very 10 years? I don’t buy it. Maybe for raw water cooled but for a closed loop system with heat exchangers?

I thought those new Mercs were still based on a GM LS block, just with some minor tweaks and better attention to the marinization process?

Mercury MerCruiser’s new 6.2-liter V-8 300hp and 350hp sterndrive engines, which are purpose-built specifically for marine use, deliver increased power and torque while providing a remarkably quiet and smooth ride.

“With the introduction of our new 6.2-liter V-8 sterndrive engines, Mercury continues to build on its success of designing and manufacturing propulsion systems that deliver the most intuitive, powerful, worry-free, smooth and quiet boating experience,” said John Pfeifer, president of Mercury Marine. “Like the purpose-built 4.5-liter V-6 sterndrives we introduced a year ago, we’re extremely proud of the remarkable reliability and ease of maintenance delivered by the 6.2. This is a terrific engine platform that will improve boating everywhere.”

Engineered with new innovative features and state-of-the-art technology, the MerCruiser 6.2L sterndrive platform was designed and is manufactured at Mercury Marine’s world headquarters in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Just like the recently introduced MerCruiser 4.5L V-6 platform for 200hp and 250hp engines, Mercury designed and builds the 6.2L engine specifically for marine use rather than adapting and marinizing an automotive engine. The 6.2L is not burdened with automotive restrictions and unnecessary technologies that result in additional cost and complexity without adding value. The result
is a perfect balance of power, easy maintenance, superior corrosion-resistance and a quiet, pleasurable ride.

And here is a short video, you only need to listen to the first minute:

youtube.com/watch?v=tJWhBBvNzTQ

Last edited:
Pete,
I’ve got an old 87 Nissan Stanza w 300+kmi on it.
The engine’s fine. But the steering rack, transmission, struts, and spots of rust like at the bottoms of doors aren’t so good. The engine clearly lacks some compression. One needs to slow shift to not work the synchromesh too much.

But the engine’s done 300k gracefully I’d say.

40mph for 2000hrs = 80,000miles. Even a 36 Chevrolet could do that w reasonable care and moderate driving. I have a more positive view of gas engines.

I've a friend who had a 32ft lobster boat with a Ford 351 Cleveland in it, he'd change engines every 3000 hrs. It didn't matter if the engine was still running good out it came. His wasn't any fancy marinized version so they were cheap. As diesels have gotten stupid expensive and less reliable, for the right boat I think a gas engine makes sense. The other thing that amazes me every time I'm on a boat with a gas engine is how smooth and quiet they are compared to a diesel.

I've a friend who had a 32ft lobster boat with a Ford 351 Cleveland in it, he'd change engines every 3000 hrs. It didn't matter if the engine was still running good out it came. His wasn't any fancy marinized version so they were cheap. As diesels have gotten stupid expensive and less reliable, for the right boat I think a gas engine makes sense. The other thing that amazes me every time I'm on a boat with a gas engine is how smooth and quiet they are compared to a diesel.

Having pleasure boated 60 + yrs...

For general pleasure boating and considerable amount of small work boats:

- Below 40' to 45' [depending on boat weight and use] gasoline.

- Over 40' to 45" [any boat weight and use] diesel.

It's really pretty simple... Do the math!!!

Then, enjoy the enormously reduced costs, substantially mellowed sound and greatly reduced odor from gas engines.

Each to their own! :socool: :thumb: :speed boat:

Pete,
I’ve got an old 87 Nissan Stanza w 300+kmi on it....
Remember the Nissan 200B? Much like the 180B but with 20 new faults.:)
Good thing about current gas engines is fuel injection eliminating some leak opportunities. And the rebuild cost and reman block and parts availability.

Back
Top Bottom