CA Bay/Delta Cruising Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vyndance

Vessel Name
Vyndance
Vessel Make
48 Californian CP
We were going back to Mexico next year. But I was thinking(along with the wallet) we have never spent any time in the delta. I can't find any information on where to go or what to do etc etc. I've been in the Bay but not in the Delta. If you had 4 months to explore, say June through September, where would you go and what would you do?

The ride up the coast will be a challenge

There are a lot of things to do. There must cruising guides, I grew boating in the Bay and Delta. Stockton and Sacramento are the obvious ends for practical navigation. You could probably spend several weeks exploring the greater bay if you want to spend time off the boat. On the bay South Beach Harbor is in my opinion the best SF location with guest berthing unless you have reciprocal privileges at St Francis Yacht Club. Oakland's Jack London Square is another great location with access to the SF ferry. If you are a member of a yacht club Alameda has several that reciprocate, Oakland , Encinal, and Alameda yacht clubs. If you wish to anchor out you have three good locations, Sausalito " Richardson bay, Angel Island State Park and Clipper cove on Yerba Buena Island. There are more marinas but these offer the best access to restaurants and entertainment.

Delta Towns worth spending time at.

Petaluma : on the Petaluma river down town turning basin. Quaint downtown with lots of history, Restaurants, gift shops, art galleries, movie theater, and live theater.

Benecia : Much the same as Petaluma

Pittsburg : Clean newer Marina, one of the best locations for fuel in the Bay area.

Rio Vista : Good marina , quaint down town, good food.

Up the Sacramento;

Isleton : city dock, colorful down town Crawdad Festival, restaurants
Several restaurants.

Ryde: Public Dock and the Ryde Hotel. It may reopen by next year.

Walnut Grove: 2- City Docks marine supplies, restaurants, Quaint town, food and groceries.

Locke : State Park, Fuel Gas Only, Home of the oldest Chinese community in the US and Al the Waps If you haven't been there you haven't been anywhere.

Courtland: Limited access, Quaint town, private marina

Hood: limited Access Quaint town private marina

Clarksburg, Limited access at marina, wine tasting, quaint town.

Freeport: Large Marina with fuel, Golf course.

Old Town Sacramento: Historic downtown with probably the best Rail Road museum in the country. Pubic dock access to too much to list. A good anchorage just up the American River beyond the highway 5 bridge.

Steam Boat slough has a official anchorage just off the Sacramento River near Courtland.

The water quality on the Sacramento river is the best in the delta. This covers some of the north delta, I'll let someone else talk about the middle and southern portion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Cool! Thank-you! I cannot find any type of cruising guide for the area it would seems as though one has to exist. I do have reciprocal privileges so that will make tying up economical. Thanks again.

Try to find a copy of Hal Schell's, "Cruising California's Delta". Hal Schell died of cancer in 2005. He WAS the Delta... The last copy was published in 1995. Actually the Delta hasn't changed much since then. Go to Amazon and pick up a used copy and own a piece of history! It is full of descriptions of the connecting sloughs and communities, etc. The book is full of old photos which presents the rich history of the Delta.

Bought it. Thanks!

The Central Delta: San Joaquin and Mokelumne Rivers

Scary did a great job representing the Bay and Sacramento River sides. I’m printing and saving his post for future reference. Also, there are many good anchorages in Prospect, Miner, Lindsey and Cache Sloughs.

Chart 18662

The only thing I’d add as a destination is a slow, careful trek up the Napa River and Napa itself. Maybe Mark or Ray can contribute details on this area.

Here are some good maps for general orientation:
California Delta Chambers and Visitor's Bureau - A Guide to the California Delta Waterways

Here’s is bridge info:
Cal Drawbridge Info

All bridges operate on Ch 9, except the Mare Island Bridge (Napa River) on Ch. 13.

A short note on Delta Navigation and anchoring: The levees were formed by dredging along the levee then piling the mud to form the levee. This results in the edges of the sloughs generally being deeper than the middle where shoaling often occurs. When in doubt, move slowly and favor the levee. Follow the deep channel cut by fast moving water downstream. If you find yourself aground, in mud/weeds, the first step should be to try BACKING out the way you came in. A local instructor advised me that sometimes alternating port and stbd reverse can free you more easily.

The prevailing winds of the summer are from the SW and normally kick up in the PM. It helps to keep this in mind when choosing anchorages. Generally, anchorage depths of 15-20 feet are ideal in weed-free mud. The areas of 12 feet or less in depth are usually filled with weeds.

Here are a few ideas for the San Joaquin and Mokelumne Rivers Central Delta Region.

Chart 18661

Antioch, just east of Pittsburgh: Nice marina, new launch facilities, Humphrey’s Restaurant good food on the water. Also good fuel prices…sometimes even lower than Pittsburg, so it pays to call ahead via cell phone.

Antioch Bridge: :”Gateway to the Delta”, Lauritzen Harbor, New Bridge Marina, Big Break Marina, Oakley, CA. Marine repair and supplies available

UnderWay

False River and Washington Cut (along levee north of Frank’s Tract): Good shortcut toward Prisoner’s Point/Mandeville Tip with plenty of anchorages out of the wind. Look for bleach bottles in the tules marking established ‘secret’ moorings that allow you to ‘nose into the tules.’ More on Mandeville later…

Following the SJ past False River takes you past Santa Clara Shoal to Seven Mile Slough. Charts make it appear that Seven Mile Slough goes through to Threemile Slough, but its only access if from the SJ River. It houses several older marinas, many of which cater to the sailboat crowd. Just past Seven Mile along the north bank and behind the tule islands are Delta Bay, Spindrift and a couple other marinas. You are now on “The Delta Loop”, where many favorite Delta restaurants and bars are located.

Spindrift has a general store and restaurant/bar.

As you continue west on the San Joaquin, you approach the mouth of the Mokelumne River. Local knowledge to avoid the San Andreas Shoal: Pass close to Marker 45, then take a straight course to the gap between Korth’s Pirates Lair (on the point with all the trees and high wire catenary towers) and the tule island just south of the point (I call this ‘Beach Island due to it’s accessible beach on the east side). The shallowest you should see on this track is 11 feet and it opens up to more than 30 feet as you approach Korth’s.

Following the Moke upstream, you pass:

Korths Pirates Lair: nice place with tropical island flair, tiki torches, friendly folks, restaurant open for breakfast and lunch.

Moore’s Riverboat: Great food and bar. Thursday-Fri dinner special of Ribeye Steak w/ Lobster tail ($20) and Sat dinner special Prime Rib ($17). IMHO, the best delta food. Just don’t approach the docks straight on during low tide. There’s a shoal off the face of the docks and another just opposite the River House to the north of the restaurant. Approach along the tule’s south of the restaurant and then cut to the face of the docks within 20-30 feet of the docks.

Willow Berm Marina: Probably the nicest marina facilities in the delta.

Lighthouse Marina (private) with Joe’s Sports Bar and Grill: good lunch stop or light dinner. Burgers, sandwiches, pizza.

Perry’s Marina and B&W Resort: Just south and north of the Mokelumne River Bridge

Georgianna Slough: Oxbow Marina is a great sleepy marina with transient slips on a long, lazy slough that is mostly no-wake. Plan 45 mins from the mouth to Oxbow. Beautiful anchorages past Oxbow in this tree-lined section. IMO, one of the more scenic and relaxing of the delta for its natural beauty and no-wake traffic restrictions.

Further up the Moke takes you to the confluence of the Moke North Fork and the Moke South Fork.

North Fork past Miller’s Ferry Bridge to Guisti’s, a delta standard that has been featured on Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives TV Show. Continue past Guisti’s into Snodgrass Slough watching the bottom at low tide. You can access Locke from the slough just north of the cross-channel gates via dinghy.

Go beyond that at your own risk. Lots of shoals and logs to catch on your way up to The Meadows and Lost Slough. (I’ve heard too many horror stories of late to ever go back. They stopped dredging years ago and it shows.)

You can’t traverse from here to the South Fork except via dingy, but it’s a nice dingy ride to Wimpy’s (casual food, bar, ice cream!!)

Back to the confluence to join the Moke South Fork. East to Terminous and stay left to continue further up the South Fork to lazy tree-lined sloughs and channels. Anchorages possible in Sycamore, Hog and Beaver Sloughs, just watch your depth. The bridge restricts further access past Wimpy’s.

Back to Terminous and join Little Potato Slough.

Tower Park Marina. Food, services, general store, KOA campground, bar. Nice place.

Make a 90 degree turn to stbd to stay on LP Slough (stay near the levees to avoid the shallows in the middle.) Ahead you will find “The Bedrooms” 3, 2 and 1. They are popular anchorages with good wind protection.

Now you’re back to the San Joaquin River, west of Mandeville Pt.

I’ll continue with the East and South Delta on a future post unless someone else jumps in.

Wow thanks guys. "The Trawler Forum Cruising Guide the The Delta"!!

Al, that was very informative. I've been deep into the Delta only once, and that was about 30 years ago. Believe we stayed overnight anchored at "Five Fingers" between Columbia Cut and Connection Slough (hadn't heard of the place -- it's not on the charts -- until later after reading a description).

232323232%7Ffp6359%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B56336nu0mrj

(RR lift bridge on the Napa River, always raised now as the trains aren't running.)

Last edited:
Scary and FlyWright, I sat down with the charts this afternoon. You guys are unbelievable. Please continue.

The Meadows State Park is accessible to sailboats if you have local knowledge. There is tidal effect even at Walnut grove as we are only 7' above sea level. So we see 1-3'. This probably the most scenic spot in the delta. 20 to 30 boats summer in the Meadows. Mostly house boats, some as big as a hundred feet. There is occasional larger boats mine included and I draw 5'. Great dingy exploring if you don't get lost. And a secret water skiing area.

Stockton

Stockton has four major marinas:

Village West Marina: The farthest north at the end of Fourteen Mile Slough, Usually the best fuel prices by far in the delta, Garlic's restaurant, Bobs Hamburges and breakfast, good food. Guest dock , Groceries within a 1/2 mile. The end of the channel is shallow in the center so stay close to the west bank. I get in there on most tides. Oh and there is also a yacht club and guest dock.

Buckley Cove: Fuel, guest dock, safe parking, Ladds marine haul out , and home to the best 58LRC on the west coast Salty. This boat is the most immaculate 58' Hatteras I've ever seen.

Stockton Sailing club: Nice club house harbor is full sailboats Guest docking.

Down Town Stockton Marina. All brand new large guest dock. Stockton has been trying to revive their down town and the Marina is the center piece . A base ball stadium, theater complex and several restaurants are nearby. What used to be called Marine /services is the biggest marine repair yard in the delta. West Marine, Larsens , are all with in walking distance of the marina. There is a caveat, This in spite of appearances a rough area, High crime has plagued Stockton for some time. I would not recommend walking south of the marina, especially at night.

Last edited:
Scary, Sacramento has four foot tides often because the rise and fall of water is also dependent on the flow of the river along with the ocean tides.

I've never been to the Meadows. Would like to follow a skipper with local knowledge as it can get rather skinny in there. I think Al, Flywright, has a friend that got into a little trouble going in that caused significant damage to his running gear, if I recall.

Other attactions center Delta

Mandeville Cut : and 4th of july fireworks Conrad Hilton sponsored Fireworks, big event on the 3rd this year. Maybe a thousand boats attend. Seems like it anyway.

Tinsley Island: St Francis Yacht clubs Summer retreat, probably members only. they have a dog poo poo island, tennis courts pool, spectacular club house, pretty exclusive. I was invited once but didn't think I'd fit in.

Lost Isle, hopefully open again next year. It was the biggest party spot in the delta.

Hog Island: summer anchorage for trawler types, full timers. good protection just off the main channel.

Mildred island: Great anchorage on protected west edge. Very quiet most of the time , can see some water ski activity. One year we had a sea plane vrs. skater race across the lake. "Skater 40' cat". It can get entertaining on the fourth.

Franks Tract: Looks tempting but choked with weeds. Don't try to cross!!

There are many other places to talk about some so secret if I told you I'd have to kill you. I think you could spend a summer here and not get bored.

Five fingers is chocked solid with weeds

Al, that was very informative. I've been deep into the Delta only once, and that was about 30 years ago. Believe we stayed overnight anchored at "Five Fingers" between Columbia Cut and Connection Slough (hadn't heard of the place -- it's not on the charts -- until later after reading a description).

232323232%7Ffp6359%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B56336nu0mrj

(RR lift bridge on the Napa River, always raised now as the trains aren't running.)
Unfortunately Five fingers is choked with weeds and hasn't been used in years.

Don't forget Al the Wop's in Locke. KJ

Don't forget Al the Wop's in Locke. KJ

Scary got it in his first post:

"Locke : State Park, Fuel Gas Only, Home of the oldest Chinese community in the US and Al the Waps If you haven't been there you haven't been anywhere."

I've never been to the Meadows. Would like to follow a skipper with local knowledge as it can get rather skinny in there. I think Al, Flywright, has a friend that got into a little trouble going in that caused significant damage to his running gear, if I recall.

Yes, Capt. Kevo O'Leary writes for the Bay-Delta Yachtsman (BOATING ARTICLES) and is a Riverboat Marina friend. He told me of a club boat-in 2-3 years ago when 3 vessels suffered significant bottom and running gear damage due to new hazards, one a 58 footer. I'd gladly follow Scary there, but don't intend to blaze my own trail through the gauntlet of obstructions.

Mark, a couple of years ago I entered the Five Fingers in a dingy on a scavenger hunt. I had to tilt the ob WAY UP just to make it through. I wish someone would go back in there and do a private dredging like was done to create the place.

Lost Isle, hopefully open again next year. It was the biggest party spot in the delta.

There are many other places to talk about some so secret if I told you I'd have to kill you. I think you could spend a summer here and not get bored.

Windmill Cove: Opposite Fourteen Mile Slough (Where you enter to go to Village West Marina) is Windmill Cove. They have improved the restaurant over the past few years, but I haven't been there.

Windmill Cove Marina, Restaurant, Bar, RV Park

The restaurant at Village West is called Garlic Brothers. I've eaten there several times and never had a bad meal.

Lost Isle is not planning to reopen until 2013. Here's their posting from the website:

Lost Isle Bar and Resort on The California Delta

"To all of our wonderful customers:

Lost Isle will not be open this year as we continue to implement our remodeling plans.

We would like to thank all of our loyal customers for your patience and understanding while we work our way through the various government agencies that have a say in what we do and how we do it. As some of you know, this is a time consuming process. The good news is that we expect to have our permits to build the new restaurant and install the new docks in a few months.

For sure we will re-open with a big bash for the 2013 season. We believe you will find the new Lost Isle Bar & Resort worth the wait and we look forward to having you back on the Island soon.

Yours Truly, Lost Isle Management
"

Out with the old:

In with the new:

As an update I have 18649, 650, 661 and 662 full size charts all updated May 8 2012 along with current BSB and ENC charts.
Carolyn and Bob Mehaffy's book on the Bay,Hal Schell's book on the Delta and the Chamber of Commerce Delta map. I realize my original post was for the Delta only but would also like to hear about the Bay.

I just saw this today, sorry (I've been out of town and not on TF). Looks like you have gotten much more info than I could possibly have given you as a Delta newbie. We use Hal Schell's book extensively though it is not 100% reliable after all these years (e.g. five fingers). We've had the boat up there since the beginning of April and plan to keep it there through the fall. We spent last weekend on White Slough and had a fatastic time.

I realize my original post was for the Delta only but would also like to hear about the Bay.

you mention you have reciprical priveleges. I would highly recommend a visit to Oakland and / or Encinal YCs on Alameda (Island). They are walking distance from one another so you can stay at one and visit both. These are two fun clubs with good dining options. Encinal has a nice pool. We've spent many an enjoyable weekend there.

South Beach Marina in SF is nice and there is lots to do in walking distance.

Definitely check out Sausalito. Schoonmaker's usually has transient space, or you can anchor out in Richardson Bay. There is tons to do and see and it is a smallish town so most everything is walking distance...

Angel Island is a great stop. It is a really neat State Park with lots of history.

Great thread which saves me a lot of typing! I'm adding this to fill it out for more permanent use rather than tag it on the new thread.

Just want to add a few notes about anchorages and pretty routes. Most of our serious Delta cruising was done on a Mainship 430 out of Alameda. So we had to mind a lot of the bridge clearances and opening schedules. My family goes back in the Delta since the very beginnings of its present conformation, so I'm fourth generation. One branch still owns a farm on Ryer Island where we used to go pheasant and goose hunting back in the day. Another great great uncle had a place on Sherman Island for many years where my father spent a lot of time back in the 20's and 30's.

Cache and Prospect sloughs were mentioned in passing.
These have many pretty places to drop the hook and chill out, starting with the little cove just past the ship canal. Since they are not "through streets" so to speak, there is a little more leeway to anchor.

I'll add Sutter Slough and parts of Miner slough to the list.

As a matter of practice, we liked to anchor bow and stern parallel to the levees on one side of the slough, bow pointed up stream. This keeps the boat from swinging into the shore from passing wakes and tide shifts. Being pretty protected wind is usually less of an issue.

More in the tules, but enjoyable, especially with a dinghy, are Potato Slough and White's Slough with varous places to tuck in. An issue that I understand has worsened since our last trips in many of these sloughs can be the water hyacinths. You don't want to be near these at all, no matter what sort of strainer system you have they can clog it pronto. As the saying goes, don't ask me how I know this!

We liked Walnut Grove as a "town" stop, we used Deckhands Marina right across the river near the bridge, not sure if it is still there and under same ownership, but they were very friendly and helpful. It's a pretty easy walk to Locke. I would add Tony's Place right there in WG as a great bar, restaurant and dive to hang out in; we actually preferred it to Al's and Giustis (not in any way saying anything bad about them) as more of a locals kind of place.

Down in Suisun Bay we used to anchor up of Snag Island at the east end of the Suisun Cutoff, across from some lodges on Dutton Island. Picturesque and protected, and a nice stopover if you leave the bay area late, or a nice place for lunch on a day trip. I've taken a Mainship 30 Pilot up to Suisun City, kind of just to say we've done it, something to do once, a winding trip in the ditch, watch the depths. Better to take Montezuma to Hunter's Cut rather than the official entrance channel to Suisun Slough. Speaking of Montezuma, that's another interesting one-timer if your boat fits under the bridge. Plus you get to go through a lock of sorts (actually a salinity barrier).

Petaluma and Napa have been covered; have they finished the new day dock in downtown Napa yet? That was one of our favorite day trips (never took the 430 up there, just a 30 and 34 Pilot and a 390) but you need a designated captain! A flying bridge is great because you go through the Carneros.

I should add, that in my opinion, a flying bridge is great for the entire Delta region, definitely cuts down the "driving in a ditch" syndrome. The 430 and 390 were great boats for that, the only limitation being some fixed or seldom opened bridges.

...have they finished the new day dock in downtown Napa yet? That was one of our favorite day trips (never took the 430 up there, just a 30 and 34 Pilot and a 390) but you need a designated captain! ...

There is a day-use dock now with room for about two pleasure boats. Much of the dock is reserved for other vessels.

But wait a minute! Although Scary has covered the majority of the delta, he hasn't talked about going south to Discovery Bay etc. Seriously, it would take years and years to cover the entire delta and bay in a boat, it's one of the reasons we love it here. I would add: Most of the marinas on the delta loop have guest slips available during the summer but reserve in advance for the weekend. Latitude 38 (local sailing mag) puts on the Delta Do Da all summer long and the marinas all participate. Owl harbor just had a big BBQ for Do daers, it's a lot of fun.

We were going back to Mexico next year. But I was thinking(along with the wallet) we have never spent any time in the delta. I can't find any information on where to go or what to do etc etc. I've been in the Bay but not in the Delta. If you had 4 months to explore, say June through September, where would you go and what would you do?

I bought several books on cruising the San Joaquin Delta a couple of years ago on Amazon. Now there is nothing. Try this website to get you started:

https://www.deltaboating.com/about.htm

I used to run from Redwood City up to Petaluma (San Pablo Bay to the Petaluma River), Suisun (Suisun Slough), Montezuma Slough to the Sacramento River to Rio Vista, Isleton and Sacramento. You can tie up right next to the Old Sacramento Bridge. There are many hundreds of miles of sloughs. You can run up the Napa River to do some wine tasting. I haven't done that yet. I've only been to a small part of the delta. It goes up to Stockton and on.

I'm surprised that all the books about cruising the delta seem to be out of print. When I come back down the coast from BC back to Redwood City Im going to start cruising the delta again. Try to get to all of the places that I haven't seen yet. I started in my teens and I'm now in my 60's. There's a lot to see!

Good Luck!

I just reread this thread and wanted to post that much of the info is dated and obsolete. Be sure to check websites or call ahead when making plans.

For example, Spindrift restaurant and store have closed and Giuisti's burned down this month. Many other restaurants cited here have also closed or changed ownership/names.

Cruiser caveat...

Wow! Reading this is like a time capsule going back just 10 years. Since then, Gusti's in Locke has burned down, Riverboat on Brannon Island has burned down, Lost Isle never reopened and has burned down, Spindrift restaurant has closed, Outrigger on 3 Mile Slough is closed probably for good. Five fingers has never recovered. That said, the Delta is still as great as ever. Korth's Pirate Lair has B'fast and Lunch, King Island has the Gusti's chef and is a great new restaurant in the Marina. Tiki Lagoon has a restaurant run by the same people who ran the Riverboat restaurant before it burned down. Rio Vista "The Point" a great restaurant on the water. Still some good boat in restaurants on Bethel Island, Sugar Barge and Rusty Porthole. Tower Park and Village West are great destinations and restaurants.

As far as the Meadows, we travel from Discovery Bay (30 miles) up at least once a year ( drawing 4'). Never hit anything. Like Railroad Sl (first left past the locks) behind Locke so we can walk over to Al the Wop's. This is still old Delta. Dingy to Wimpy's for all feedings, and dingy thru the Locks to Walnut Grove for supplies and good restaurants. We try to go for a week and just take B'fast supplies. Eating out always provides leftovers for lunch and a few dinners. Definitely still tidal action in the Meadows, easily 2-3 ft tidal range at times. Don't be afraid, just cautious. Going all the way into the Meadows proper, try to time rising tide. This year took our Mainship 350 in at lower tide and had no problem. That said, the Delta is constantly changing. Places that were 5ft depth a few years ago might be 20 ft today. Just up at Wimpy's yesterday and registered 3' where i use to be 10' ( this is small boat area due to fixed bridge). Channel Islands that use to be there 10 years ago are gone. One thing nice, most of the sloughs are soft mud ( like a thick milk shake) so many times rubbing bottom just cleans off the barnicles LOL!

Back
Top Bottom