Generator Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Shrew,

While I'm not ready to throw my 4-year old Kohler 6EKOD genset overboard just yet, I'm having a REAL hard time supporting a computer-controlled genset that throws esoteric error codes like "locked rotor fault", with the only troubleshooting suggestion in the manual for that particular no-crank error is to "call you local Kohler distributor". Really? And this isn't the first time the $%^& thing has failed to start mid-cruise. Or failed to shutdown upon command! Honest-I had to hunt and peck and remove the fuse upstream of the shutdown solenoid to shut the ^&(_)(*&&^ thing down. NOT IMPRESSED with modern Kohler generator products. If mine was near end-of-service-life, I'd have it balanced on my rail, poised for a trip to the scrap yard.

My previous two boats each had Northern Lights generators aboard. All worked every time, always, whenever called upon to start and run. NEVER an operational failure. Easily serviced, easily owner-maintained w/excellent manuals and parts lists, responsive service and parts available everywhere from AK to SoCal. Hold in preheat button for a few moments, push the start button, boom. Off they went.

Just my $.02.

Pete

If you call your local Distributor I am sure they will help you - Marine Systems, Inc. in Ballard - 206-784-3302. Ask for Brian or Marty.

For what its worth the NW region was just reassigned to MSI late in 2019 as the previous distributor was mostly focused on land-based Kohler power generation.

Also, locked rotor in Kohler parlance is the same thing as over-crank, meaning the starter motor was sent the signal to start and the controller did not see engine speed. Perhaps as easy as the speed sensor or a connection on the speed sensor that reads the tone ring on the front of the engine.

Electrical side. The diesel engine runs fine by itself if you bypass and run power directly to the fuel pump. They ended up removing the generator from the boat and sending it out for service. That service company has since called in a tech from Kohler who is working with them. Everytime they think they have it fixed and running, they shut it down and it won't start again. Then when they attempt to restart it, the panel blows. I paid about $750 for a panel. Their cost is around $350. Even at $350, I don't really want to pay for a series of failed attempts.

At this point, I think I'll have to wait and see what the final verdict is. If I can walk away, I'll look at an NL. I have a feeling I'm destined for a new Kohler. :|

Your local distributor contact is: Kraft Power - Gary Callahan 973-835-5595

The electrical side can be completely rebuilt. There is no magic to a rotor or stator or regulator, etc.

Solar is an appealing concept.......I'd have to calculate whether that is possible to keep those systems running and batteries relatively topped off. Having to never, or rarely run the Honda 2K would be wonderful.

Shrew - spreadsheets are not allowable attachments, but here is a screenshot of a 'budget' spreadsheet I put together. For my boat, I need around 250AH@12vdc/day, or about 700W of solar panels plus a bunch of batteries.

PM me with email address if you want the XLS

Peter
Electricity Consumption Budget.jpg

Thanks Peter. Your spreadsheet already has considerations I hadn't even thought of (VHF and phone/ipad/PC charging). While I don't leave my MFD's running on anchor, I've always liked the idea of setting an anchor alarm for bad weather. Right now, during serious blows I just sit on anchor watch (Open the curtains and sleep with one eye open on the sofa in the solon).

Given what was said, I'd go the Cummins/Onan route. Very large network of parts and service providers, including your local guy; the are OEM on a lot of "money no object" boats for a reason.

While not particulary relevant to today, the 20 year old, 10,000 hour 20kw Cummins Onan we had on our old Hatteras was still going strong when we sold it, and is for the new owner as well. In our wide range of geographies cruised to on the east coast, there was always someone at hand to service or get a part from if need be. And their "Quiet Diesels" are really darn quiet.

Phasor 8 kw are based on Kubota D1005 3 cyl Diesel engines and 1800 RPM. Nice unit. At the time I ordered mine, they were short on those engines so mine came with a D1105. I don’t have a sound shield because it’s in the ER which is already shielded. In the ER, 1 foot from the fully loaded engine block is 92 dB.
I got the 8.5 kw with sound shield—excellent!

Gen Replacement

I went through the same situation last year, 9kw Kohler that needed a lot of work.
I eneded up selling it cheap and replacing it with a phasor 4.5 kw, 1800 rpm Kubota powered unit, and I love it. Less than half the weight, considerably less real estate, quieter.
Yep, it won't power everything on the boat at the same time, but neither would the Kohler, even though the numbers said it should. I can power any three of the big ones simultaneously, either of two a/c's, water heater, house battery recharging via inverter, stove, microwave or hair dryer (darn hairdryer pulls more than my 12k a/c), along with all the little items.

Shrew, how many hours on the Kohler you are about to replace?

Scott

I have a Fisher Panda 15 mini Digital about 3 years ago, we have over 200 hours already, it is quite, COOL (being fresh water cooled on the entire unit our engine room stays way cool when at anchor now) and amazing power compared to our 12kw Onan (it struggle with Scuba compressor kicking in or AC units at times. It is always half the weight and sips fuel comparatively. We did the gensep on it so that also quieted down further.

I have a Kohler 6EOD that last year really drove me nuts. It would start, run for a few swconds and than shut down with a "OV" error code. I had the Kohler guy look at it twice and he could not figure out the problem. Finally traced things to a shorted winding. I pulled the generator off of the engine and had it rebuilt. It was reinstalled and still caused problems. It would not put out rated voltage. This was traced to a blown fuse in the field regulator circuit. Replaced the fuse and adjusted the voltage to 120VAC. Things ran fine until any large load (AC, cook top, or water heated) would turn off. When this happened the thing would shut down with the "OV" error. Had the Kohler guy (a different one) out and he adjusted the response and it has run fine since. The whole experience was not cheap but compared to a new generator, it was a bargin.

Last edited:
I previously had a Kohler in my Searay and it was very glitchy and had many faults. My Northern Lights....flawless

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom