MS 400 ice maker replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Mike

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Outlander
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
Has anyone replaced the ice maker on a 400 with a small 12/120v beverage cooler? If so I would like to know the mfg and part number. I am having a hard time finding a refrigerator that will fit the space. The largest cutout I can make would be 15” x 17” H. The smallest cooler I can find is 2” too tall. Thanks for any help you all can provide.

I just skimmed through a hundred or so beverage coolers on Amazon and the smallest I found was 19" high. If I can't find one 17" high or less on Amazon, it probably doesn't exist.

David

I replaced the electric grill with a drop in, top opening, cooler, it worked out great. Thankfully, there was no ice maker on our summer kitchen. Maybe you could scrap the ice maker and add in a drop in cooler? Put a starboard door in place of the ice maker?

My summer kitchen has a built in propane grill. I really like the grill so I don’t want to get rid of it. The ice maker was in between the two access doors for the summer kitchen, it was removed by the P.O. and a SS door installed in its place. This is where I would like to install the beverage cooler. The problem is the depth of the grill prevents anything taller than 17 inches in the space.

Would it be possible to add a spacer between the countertop and the grill raising the grill a couple of inches?

Not a bad thought to add a spacer under the grill. I will have to measure the headroom to the summer kitchen lid to see if I can get 2 inches of space.

Replacement to Icemaker

I have propane grill set up also in FB valley and had Icemaker option. I use a portable Icemaker inside (Installed under the sink) that is way more convenient, cheaper and easier to replace later so I bought a 110vt (dock side only use unless gen is running) combo Edgestar fridge freezer (just dial thermostat where you want) from compact appliances online. We had to raise propane grill about 1/4” and modify the existing starboard doors trim some. It, of course, turned into a bigger project than it should have but it’s nice having cold drinks or extra freezer storage. Sorry picture is upside down. Stupid iPhone

Attachments

• 665E409E-45B2-490C-A700-1736DEE9CC5A.jpg
    665E409E-45B2-490C-A700-1736DEE9CC5A.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the picture. That's pretty much what I was looking for. AC/DC would be nice but I could run off the inverter when off shore power. I'll have to do some research on power consumption, did not find anything immediately on Amazon. You did a nice job of fitting that in and making it look nice.

Icemaker replacement.

I don’t see this combo fridge freezer on Edgestar’s website anymore. Probably wasn’t as popular but they have a medical freezer this size and it looks the same. Could be same unit. Just dial down the thermostat to the lowest setting and use it as a fridge.

One of the reasons I went to it was because it was so cheap so I thought it’d be easy to replace. I see they have one that appears to be the non compressor type (thermo electric ) now That is AC DC. Appears to be same size also.

Attachments

• ice maker.jpg
    ice maker.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 26
I think the ISOTHERM DRAWER 16 will work for me, 10" H X 15"W x 21"D. Comes in AC/DC model and seems to be good on power consumption. It is more expensive but should last me awhile.

I think the ISOTHERM DRAWER 16 will work for me, 10" H X 15"W x 21"D. Comes in AC/DC model and seems to be good on power consumption. It is more expensive but should last me awhile.
Given what your criteria is, I think that's a damn good fix! :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom