Sticky Rubber Dashboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclarke246

Vessel Name
Lady Di
Vessel Make
2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
My 2012 ST44 has a rubber-based dashboard, supporting all of the switches, controls, MFD, etc..., at the lower station. The entire (similar) dashboard on the upper helm was replaced under warranty in 2014. I sure wish I'd have asked about the lower one back then!
Anyway, the lower dashboard rubber is getting very sticky and impossible to clean.
I'm trying to figure out what to do about this. Thus far, no help from my local dealer and Beneteau Customer Service, though that MAY be in process.

Attachments

• 68zV%xCnSRqLweKs7SF6ag.jpg
    68zV%xCnSRqLweKs7SF6ag.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 59
What have you been using to clean it? Some products--notably Armor All--can actually make things sticky.

--Peggie

What have you been using to clean it? Some products--notably Armor All--can actually make things sticky.

--Peggie

I've only used a very light household spray. I've seen this happen a few other times, like on an old binocular casing. It's a natural deterioration that occurs on defective rubber coatings.

Pretty sure Beneteau knew they had a problem which is why they replaced my upper dashboard.

I have only used a damp cloth with water to clean mine. I just checked and so far, knock on wood, it looks (and feels) OK.

I suspect it is sticky due to loss of plasticiser in the rubber-based material. I have the issue on a couple of small areas in my car. I think it arises from cleaning solvents, perhaps including ArmorAll, doing more than they should!

Unfortunately I think replacement is the only cure.

Is it flat or does it have curves in it? If it is flat you could easily fabricate a new dash out of Starboard or even aluminum.

I had a very similar issue with the rubberized finish on a non-boating device. It has never been cleaned with anything, and 100% of it's life has been indoors out of the sun. A little googling revealed that pretty much every one of these devices suffered the same fate. It's just a defective coating material. The only practical solution was replacement. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive item (< $100).

BTW, it probably qualifies as a latent defect and might be covered by your insurance. But cost to replace is probably less than your deductible, so not worth a claim.

It has many angles and levels so it looks like refinishing will be necessary. The problem is not from using the wrong cleaner, it's a defect of the coating.

What kind of operation could "wrap" it with a new finish? Maybe a good painting operation?

Thanks for all of your replies.

It has many angles and levels so it looks like refinishing will be necessary. The problem is not from using the wrong cleaner, it's a defect of the coating.

What kind of operation could "wrap" it with a new finish? Maybe a good painting operation?

Thanks for all of your replies.

I am curious if you can remove it and bring it to a local plastics fabricator and let them make something out of plastic? Or simply paint it.

You can with a fair amount of work cover the instruments panel with a variety of new finishes. This one is available at Amazon but I’m sure other retailers are available.

Attachments

• B58B5BCF-EDC3-4DF8-ADB2-93E2DB07029E.jpg
    B58B5BCF-EDC3-4DF8-ADB2-93E2DB07029E.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 46
I have "stabilized" 10X Canon binoculars which came with that thin rubberized coating which got sticky over the years of sitting on the boat. I attributed it to the hydrocarbons in the air aboard, but who knows? Having nothing to lose, I simply wiped the coating off with acetone and then spray painted them satin black. Looks good, lasts long time, loves its mother.

I have "stabilized" 10X Canon binoculars which came with that thin rubberized coating which got sticky over the years of sitting on the boat. I attributed it to the hydrocarbons in the air aboard, but who knows? Having nothing to lose, I simply wiped the coating off with acetone and then spray painted them satin black. Looks good, lasts long time, loves its mother.

If sitting in the sun it could have been UV damage.

My problem wasn’t due to sunshine as I draw the curtains closed when not in use. Also, it’s a very uniform deterioration.

Never used anything like that on it. I believe that it’s just a bad coating. No help from Beneteau as yet.

I have a pair of "Steiner" rubber coated binoculars which are beginning to get sticky. I thought it was from some contact with DEET which eats rubber. I wonder if Steiner will do anything about them. They are only about 25 years old.

Pete

Just thinking of options...
I would consider looking into PlasTeak vinyl flooring. Available in many wood grains and patterns. You may be able to glue it on top of the old coating and use the old as the template to cut from the backside.
PlasTeak/ PlasDeck has been very helpful with inquiries.

My 2012 ST44 has a rubber-based dashboard, supporting all of the switches, controls, MFD, etc..., at the lower station. The entire (similar) dashboard on the upper helm was replaced under warranty in 2014. I sure wish I'd have asked about the lower one back then!
Anyway, the lower dashboard rubber is getting very sticky and impossible to clean.
I'm trying to figure out what to do about this. Thus far, no help from my local dealer and Beneteau Customer Service, though that MAY be in process.

Cover it in leather or wood laminate. There is no fixing what you have.

My wife's Mazda had the dashboard get sticky as you describe. Nothing would help it until it was replaced, thankfully under warranty.

St44

I too am having some issues with the lower dash on my 2015 Swift Trawler. Currently experimenting with different cleaning options and possible protective coatings. The prospect of recovering or replacing is a bit daunting considering all switches, gauges and throttle controls are all located on the panel (and it's not flat)

First cleaning with basic multi purpose kitchen bench type cleaners or just damp cloth.Tried 303 general cleaner today with some success (although still sticky but not as bad). Next step is to try rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer as suggested on good old utube.

I had my mechanic apply a strong solvent which removed the thin rubber top layer. There is a hard gray surface beneath, which is much better! I think he used toluene.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom