33 Pacemaker diesel-a decent deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40
While we are hauled out for bottom painting at Chesapeake Cove Marina in Deltaville Va, I snapped a couple of pictures of this Pacemaker I’ve noticed that’s been for sale for a while. It seems like a decent price for a twin cabin diesel “trawler”. It seems to be in pretty decent shape on the outside and ready to go with a later model radar, a gas grill and a Walker Bay dink with Weaver davits. If anyone is thinking about dipping their feet into the trawler lifestyle, this one seems to me like it might be a good one to consider without a huge investment.
We’re going back tomorrow to finish our boat so I’ll grab the ladder and climb up to take some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5880.jpg
    IMG_5880.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5881.jpg
    IMG_5881.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5883.jpg
    IMG_5883.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5884.jpg
    IMG_5884.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5885.jpg
    IMG_5885.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5887.jpg
    IMG_5887.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5888.JPG
    IMG_5888.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5879.jpg
    IMG_5879.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 81
Looks like a headache to me at any cost. You could pour a million bucks into it and still have a 50 year old Pacemaker. I wouldn't be worth the asking price If they gave it to you IMO.

Looks like a headache to me at any cost. You could pour a million bucks into it and still have a 50 year old Pacemaker. I wouldn't be worth the asking price If they gave it to you IMO.

So glad you are able to tell from a couple of pictures the shape a boat is in and what it needs.

Yes, it's a $25k boat and will never be worth a lot but the OP posted it in case someone was looking for a cheap boat. May be a prize or a pig but not everyone is looking to drop a small fortune on a depreciating asset. If you're not interested, don't look. Your comment reeks of snobbery

So glad you are able to tell from a couple of pictures the shape a boat is in and what it needs.

Yes, it's a $25k boat and will never be worth a lot but the OP posted it in case someone was looking for a cheap boat. May be a prize or a pig but not everyone is looking to drop a small fortune on a depreciating asset. If you're not interested, don't look. Your comment reeks of snobbery

Ha ha thanks...yes to me it seemed a bit petty to critique my post since I was just throwing it out there in case someone was looking for a cheap way to get into boating. If nothing else, it's always fun for me to look at pictures of other boats to get fresh ideas for ours! I was checking out the way the radar is mounted with a hinge at the base. The hardware for the antenna mount alone must've been $1000. I guess they used the folding option for the loop since the for sale sign says it's been done twice already. Who knows? Maybe it's a turn-key boat someone did the loop in a couple of times and now want to let it go! I bet the owner would be happy for any offer!
We'll see tomorrow when we go back what the decks and interior look like. We're not in the market but like I mentioned, I always like looking at what others have done.

My Dad had a 1968 34' Pacemaker DCMY, which he kept on Lake Ontario in Rochester, NY. He bought it used when it was about 7 years old. It certainly had a lot of room for the length and a very nice ride in choppy seas. However...

It was wood (mahogany), with all the rub-rail and transom dry rot problems experienced by many fresh-water Pacemakers of that era. While I know the boat in question here is fiberglass, I just wanted to let you know that my Dad's boat spent more time on land with work being done on it than in the water...and this was not only due to the wood. So many things seemed to need an excessive amount of attention. My point? If I were considering this 1971 Pacemaker for purchase (or gift), I would look it over with a fine-toothed comb. Possibly even have it surveyed. I think Pacemaker would still have been in the early part of the learning curve with fiberglass construction at that time. If they didn't do any better at caulking joints in 1971 than in 1968, I would be concerned about leaks and weak superstructure (if balsam core were used, for example). I am no Pacemaker expert, but I spent so much of my time back then helping my Dad repair things on a Pacemaker of that era that I felt obligated to say something here. For what it's worth, the gas engines (I think they were Crusaders) were never any problem...but the fuel tanks were.

So, while GH41 is being raked over the coals here for the wording of his post, I couldn't agree with him more. The prospective new owner would need to give SERIOUS consideration as to the size of the "expense stream" he would be buying. If he's clever at fixing and repairing things, with some marine knowledge and lots of time, it might be a good deal. If all the work needed to be done by a boat yard and other contractors, then deep pockets and a lot of patience would be required.

Last edited:
So today after we finished our boat we drug the ladder over and climbed up on the Pacemaker.
Here’s what we foundIMG_5896.jpg
Kind of a cool bridge with molded-in steps to access it on both sides
IMG_5898.jpg
Below was stuff piled everywhere but decent electronics at the lower helm. Zero rot around the windows and no evidence of water damage. The windows must have been replaced because the paint looks new and they have the screens...something I wish I could say about our boat!
IMG_5902.JPGIMG_5903.jpgIMG_5904.jpgIMG_5906.jpg
The generator seems to be a later model one but the engines are probably original. They actually look good but I don’t have a clue what make they are. IMG_5907.JPGIMG_5908.JPGIMG_5909.JPG

Aft stateroom has good space with 2 bunks but my gripe is the wet head. We like a separate shower. IMG_5912.jpg

IMG_5918.jpgIMG_5920.jpgIMG_5919.jpg
The decks seem ok and not spongy. It has an anchor windlass but anyone can see it’s the wrong anchor! [emoji38]

Looks like the BMW/VM Motori engine. Hard to get parts for. A bit of a deal killer there.

Ok , I’ve had my fun & am done with looking at other people’s boats ...now it’s time for us to start using ours!
I just thought it might be fun to showcase a boat that we happened across. It’s not exactly what we would’ve wanted when we started shopping older used trawlers a few years ago but we might would’ve given it a shot if it was available when we were looking, though I’m not too sure about the engines it has.

Looks like the BMW/VM Motori engine. Hard to get parts for. A bit of a deal killer there.

Yeah for real! I would have to think hard about purchasing a boat with engines I've never even seen before.

Boom
I trust the owner gave permission for the boarding and posting pictures.

Boom
I trust the owner gave permission for the boarding and posting pictures.

I doubt it. Looks like he is trespassing and impersonating a yacht broker. I can hear it now... Officer, I just drug my ladder over there to have a look and decided to take a few pictures and post them to help make a sale. The whole story sounds like BS to me.

I think Boomerang is in the marine trades, so might have a clue.

Shawn

I think you did a good thing. Owner never needs to know. Don't think he'd care anyway... there's nothing bad to report. And, you just may have sold the boat for him. You helped for the sale at very least.

Sunchaser, the boat wasn't locked , it's not listed by a broker and it has a big for sale sign hanging from the transom so I figured there was no harm done by me peeking inside and taking a couple of pictures. I'm friends with the owner of the yard where it's on the hard and most folks in the area know me. I didn't go digging through lockers or drawers; the only hatch I opened was the engine hatch. I wouldn't have a problem with folks looking at our boat if it were for sale!

I doubt it. Looks like he is trespassing and impersonating a yacht broker. I can hear it now... Officer, I just drug my ladder over there to have a look and decided to take a few pictures and post them to help make a sale. The whole story sounds like BS to me.

You have got to be kidding! What a BS post you wrote! Someone in the marine trades takes the time to post a boat for sale with no negative or positive opinions and with no underlying motives and that's your contribution to the thread? Sit down!

This thread is interesting. I am the boat owner and we sold it today. The buyer used this thread as part of his research, and got it at a great price. Most of the posts seem accurate, except about the anchor. It was recommended by an experienced looper and worked flawlessly. In a major storm, where many boats sheltered in a cove, we were one of only three boats whose anchor held tight. It is a 45# Mantus Fortress. Also, I asked the marina owner, who is a friend of OP, to allow anyone interested to board and look around. This thread helped a sale.

This thread is interesting. I am the boat owner and we sold it today. The buyer used this thread as part of his research, and got it at a great price. Most of the posts seem accurate, except about the anchor. It was recommended by an experienced looper and worked flawlessly. In a major storm, where many boats sheltered in a cove, we were one of only three boats whose anchor held tight. It is a 45# Mantus Fortress. Also, I asked the marina owner, who is a friend of OP, to allow anyone interested to board and look around. This thread helped a sale.

IMHO - Mantus and Fortress are two completely separate anchor designers and manufacturers

Thank you for the followup! Glad you sold it. I love a happy ending! The anchor type was me attempting to make a joke...nobody on here can seem to agree as to which anchor is the best.
Once again, congratulations & I know the new owner is looking forward to enjoying their new-to-them boat!

"The wrong anchor" is a running joke around here, sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well on the forums but I am sure the OP was smiling as he posted it. We can argue the merits of anchor designs endlessly around here with limited consensus. It looks to be a fine anchor of a modern design.

IMHO - Mantus and Fortress are two completely separate anchor designers and manufacturers

I should have said Mantus Supreme, not Fortress. So I guess I had the “wrong” anchor after all.

Any idea what engine oil you were using? (full disclosure: I'm not an SAE certified scientist nor am I masquerading as one!)

That's another topic "which oil" (thread) to get the Hatfields and the McCoys going.... B-)

Last edited:
Thank you for the followup! Glad you sold it. I love a happy ending! The anchor type was me attempting to make a joke...nobody on here can seem to agree as to which anchor is the best.
Once again, congratulations & I know the new owner is looking forward to enjoying their new-to-them boat!

Sometimes I'm just too darn analytical... i.e., needing jokes explained out loud to me! :lol: :facepalm: :speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom