The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatihottie

Good Day all, my name is Brian. I live in Seattle where my boat will be moored.

I "might've be buying a, "1982 Kha Shing Aft Cabin Trawler"

1. It needs ALL windows and frames replaced. If I need a couple, might as well do them all. The owner is willing to pay the cost.

Note, not much water damage that I can see, nor Surveror reports, (wood just looking frayed and 2 windows cracked). Surveyor said said it's common, "moister" stains.

2. Estimate: How much would replacing the wooden frames and windows cost? An estimate is fine. And I don't mind if they get replaced with aluminum? 3 large front windows, two rear windows, about 6 side sliding windows and two windows on the doors. So I recon 13 in all?

I need this info so I can restart the "bargaining" process. As you know, this boat is similar to many of the Taiwanese boats here, (been reading and learning from everyone here for weeks).

3. Can you recommend someone in the Seattle area to do this job? My wife laughs at me when I pick up a tool.

4. Do common "Home" window repair places do boats? Again who in the Seattle area?

Thank you, Brian

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. The cost of new windows will be staggering for that many. You should get sizes of the windows and contact Diamond Seaglaze. They are in the PNW, maybe Vancouver??? The labor is just that, grunt work so you could probably DIY it. Getting the old windows out will probably be the difficult part. Installing the new ones should be easier. Good luck!

Thanks! Realizing there will be many, "try doing it yourself" I don't want to. And if this site is anything like my "Gold Wing" site, they love to make things tricky for newbies. This by answering questions with additional questions. One would ask: "should I buy Gold wing with a missing radio knob". Then someone writes, do you have kids, dog, has the bike been laid dow, how many miles, can you handle a big bike...... WHY are you buying it?

Well I can answer the last question, "Why am I buying it". I'm a Respiratory Therapist. I've been sleeping out in my gazebo away from my wife for 3 months. And I sleep in the garage when it rains. The boat is ny new Social Distancing experiment since I don't see an end to this anytime soon. I can keep people alive, just don't know a thing about boats.

As I'm in the bargaining process, I sense I can get about $12,000 for the whole window job? Remember, I won't be doing any of the window work, (and im certain it will be tricky to get someone to do it for me)??

I've searched every "wndow" thread here and most all do it themselves. There are NO cost estimates for windows replacement, frame and all. How about the cost for one? Then I'll multiply it by 13, instant estimate.

Any hints, or estimates on my window job? I'm buying my first boat.

YES, I have mooring.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks! Realizing there will be many, "try doing it yourself" I don't want to. And if this site is anything like my "Gold Wing" site, they love to make things tricky for newbies. This by answering questions with additional questions. One would ask: "should I buy Gold wing with a missing radio knob". Then someone writes, do you have kids, dog, has the bike been laid dow, how many miles, can you handle a big bike...... WHY are you buying it?

Well I can answer the last question, "Why am I buying it". I'm a Respiratory Therapist. I've been sleeping out in my gazebo away from my wife for 3 months. And I sleep in the garage when it rains. The boat is ny new Social Distancing experiment since I don't see an end to this anytime soon. I can keep people alive, just don't know a thing about boats.

As I'm in the bargaining process, I sense I can get about $12,000 for the whole window job? Remember, I won't be doing any of the window work, (and im certain it will be tricky to get someone to do it for me)??

I've searched every "wndow" thread here and most all do it themselves. There are NO cost estimates for windows replacement, frame and all. How about the cost for one? Then I'll multiply it by 13, instant estimate.

YES, I have mooring.

Thanks again.

What are you paying for the boat? Are the windows the only thing wrong with it? Insured labor will cost you $100+ per hour anywhere + materials. I don't see you replaceing 13 windows for 12K if you want the job done right. Show us some pictures of the boat.

Ouch here comes the million questions. What does it Matter how much I'm paying for the boat? And thanks to all the post I read here, there's a million things wrong with my boat, it's a used Taiwanese Trawler!

Just imagine the boats perfect. I just want to replace the windows and window frames because I like new windows.

Now since so many of you have one window similar to mine.... pick your most expensive window. Again a 1982 Kha Shing Aft Cabin Trawler".

Let's pretend you don't have arms, your wife hates you and you dont have any friends. Therfore you can't work on your boat. Plus, you can't take photos since you don't have any fingers. So, you need to find someone to do work on your boat, (hell you can't even steer it). Then ask yourself, how much would it cost to replace one window and one frame. A wild guess will be fine I'll believe, (I don't know squat about boats).

I'll do the hard part and multiply your answer by 13.

To those of you without arms, I apologize.

Last edited:
I had 4 windows that were about 6” tall and 30” and 45” long, 2 each. The prices that I was getting was in the 400 to 500 range each window. I would have done the labor. But since the boat fiberglass had a curve to it I was not sure that they would ever seal properly. So I glassed the openings closed, got rid of the windows and added 3 10x10 hatches for light and ventilation. I got the hatches for about 150 each so I saved a lot of money and the old windows do not leak anymore since I glassed them closed. So I would guess that quality windows on average may cost 600 to 700 each. Probably a couple of hours labor each to install, maybe a bit less depending on how hard it is to get the old windows out.

Brian - We would someday be interested in replacing all our large main cabin windows, so I will be following your thread with interest. We have 14 pretty good sized, wood framed, single pane windows (3 of them sliders), and when we first started asking around 8 years ago we were told for a DIY job we'd be starting at $5,000 - and that was for the "economy" manufacturers, not Diamond Seaglaze. So your guesstimate of around $12,000 for windows and labor *might* be kinda close.

However, I would recommend getting a hold of a couple reputable boatyards in the Seattle area and ask them for an estimate. That'll be more accurate than most opinions, if you know what I mean!

Ouch here comes the million questions. What does it Matter how much I'm paying for the boat? And thanks to all the post I read here, there's a million things wrong with my boat, it's a used Taiwanese Trawler!

Just imagine the boats perfect. I just want to replace the windows and window frames because I like new windows.

Now since so many of you have one window similar to mine.... pick your most expensive window. Again a 1982 Kha Shing Aft Cabin Trawler".

Let's pretend you don't have arms, your wife hates you and you dont have any friends. Therfore you can't work on your boat. Plus, you can't take photos since you don't have any fingers. So, you need to find someone to do work on your boat, (hell you can't even steer it). Then ask yourself, how much would it cost to replace one window and one frame. A wild guess will be fine I'll believe, (I don't know squat about boats).

If you ask the question enough times you will get the answer you want to hear. I guess if you only want new windows with no other needs you could hire someone with arms to remove the existing windows with a sledge hammer. Then hire an uninsured handyman to cut and fasten plexiglass over the holes with sheet metal screws. Will it look good? NO, but why do you care. You have new windows. Remind me to tell you about the boat Roy Rodgers once owned.

Thanks that was funny. I Hope I wasn't being a smart-a**. But I'm an instinct buyer. I spent about 3 months working in Brooklyn during this Covid mess. My wife said I could buy what I wanted with the money as a reward. I said I'm going to buy $60,000 Ducati or an SLK sport Mercedes. She stated, "no your not". I then said, how about a boat. She said "YES", (probably worried I say "a horse" next).

So my boat had a fantastic survey for this style and age.

Why new windows? I had a leak in my home roof here in Seattle. I didn't sleep for three years until I redid my roof, it's Seattle and it kinda rains here ($28,000 roof cost). I now have panic attacks just thinking about leaks. So it's the first thing on my list to fix, (besides my windows might be free, (paid by the owner).

Last edited:
Ducati,
I would take the time to "ballpark" measure all of the windows and take some photos of them. Then I would contact Diamond Seaglaze and ask for some pricing info and advice. Later, when actually doing the work, the actual openings may have to be accurately measured to place the order. Not knowing what replacement windows do cost, maybe the $700 per window is a good guess, but I have no idea and I am sure you don't either.
As far as labour, figure at least $100 per hour, and guess 2.5 hours per window. I recently replaced one porthole and it took me longer than 2.5 hours, but I am not experienced at this kind of work. It was not all that hard, and I was happy with how it ended up. So, if the $700 per window (average) guess is right as well as the 32.5 hours labour, then $12,000 could be close (a bit low).

However, contacting a boat yard and Diamond Seaglaze for estimates would probably be more accurate. :)

If this boat has teak decks you might want to be aware of problems this type of decking can create. Just google "teak deck problems." Yes I know it isn't windows but you should be aware of something that can become or already i,s but you can't see i,t problem

Hey Brian! Welcome to TF.

Good luck with your windows. I will also be monitoring. We like pics too.

Replacing wooden windows is a good idea.Years ago I had 2 large side windows replaced. The shipwright made a cardboard template to send to the interstate mfr. I was concerned about getting caught between measurer/fitter and manufacturer, turned out fine, and I thought the quoted cost was very reasonable. Later I had some wooden windows remade on another boat. Big one off job, suited the boat but pricey.
It`s your reward, richly deserved, and you get to choose.

Last edited:
e a big bike...... WHY are you buying it?

YES, I have mooring.

Thanks again.

You are not too far off on the cost. We spent about $13k on seventeen new aluminum frame windows. There are some photos of the removal of old and installation of new windows here .... Benford 38 fantail cruiser. Our New Boat

Boatpoker,
You and your wife look like you are afraid of work! :)
What a project. She will be a really great boat when you are finished, but what a lot of work! Good job.

I read your first reply, and I admire your motive. Had you mentioned that to us nosy folks here at first, you MIGHT have avoided the inevitable questioning here. Please understand our general drift here is to help each other to the best functioning boat, but that is not what you need. You apparently do not need to run the thing for pleasure cruising; you just want a safe place to live during the CV19 crisis because of your job. I am presuming here that you might like to get your money out of it when you sell it in the not too distant future. Hopefully we can help you.

Welcome to TF, and the boat life.

You had me at Ducati :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom