Three tanks, using one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Takoradi

Vessel Name
The Janie C
Vessel Make
Uniflite 42
I have 3 gas tanks on my Uniflite 42 for my CH350 Crusaders & Onan Genset. Port and starboard tanks and a stern tank. Since most of my cruise time will be short haul bombing around, I'm thinking that it might make sense to idle the two saddle tanks and use the stern tank until I want a longer cruise. Does anyone else do that and are there maintenance/venting issues I should be aware of? Should I dump stabilizer in the saddle tanks and leave it at that?

Thanks,

Tak

I have 3 gas tanks on my Uniflite 42 for my CH350 Crusaders & Onan Genset. Port and starboard tanks and a stern tank. Since most of my cruise time will be short haul bombing around, I'm thinking that it might make sense to idle the two saddle tanks and use the stern tank until I want a longer cruise. Does anyone else do that and are there maintenance/venting issues I should be aware of? Should I dump stabilizer in the saddle tanks and leave it at that?

Thanks,

Tak

Are you planning on leaving the saddle tanks empty? What are they made of?

I would be concerned about moisture sitting in the tanks for years without allowing the fuel filters to take it out while running.

The aft tank sits in the aft bilge between the stringers. These tanks have a very short life due to getting wet frequently. I would certainly have it pressure tested before I used that tank. Using the side tanks balances the boat better. I always set the engines up to draw one from starboard and one to port. This also helped me keep tack of fuel usage by engine.The tanks are made of aluminum

Menzies,

Tanks are aluminum and my thoughts went to condensation as well. I’m considering fueling the saddle tanks at least once a year for an annual longer trip so while they’d be empty the majority of the time they would get “rinsed out” every 12 months or so.

I'd use fuel from a tank best to maintain the boat's balance. Have four tanks, two on each side. I take fuel from one at a time. When looks out of line, I switch tanks.

I wouldn't consider 350 gallons excessive to carry around on a boat with big blocks. With my 454s and 2x 210 gallon tanks (420 total) I just fill it all the way when I need fuel and also at the end of the season. Unless I'm traveling and know I'll burn the fuel off within a couple weeks, I add stabilizer at every fill. So if it takes me from October when I top off before winter to July to burn off the fuel, it's no problem. And with the weight in the stern, my boat doesn't seem to have any noticeable speed / fuel burn penalty from carrying the extra fuel around.

Right now, I'm showing about 3/4 full of last year's gas with no issues or concerns.

In some of your posts you refer to "gas" in others you refer to "fuel". There is a big difference regarding shelf life, storage and use. A couple big block gassers will need that amount of gas, a F.L. will run all season on one of the tanks of fuel.

But you never want gas or diesel to get more than a year old.

Empty tanks rust.

pete

I wouldn't consider 350 gallons excessive to carry around on a boat with big blocks. With my 454s and 2x 210 gallon tanks (420 total) I just fill it all the way when I need fuel and also at the end of the season. Unless I'm traveling and know I'll burn the fuel off within a couple weeks, I add stabilizer at every fill. So if it takes me from October when I top off before winter to July to burn off the fuel, it's no problem. And with the weight in the stern, my boat doesn't seem to have any noticeable speed / fuel burn penalty from carrying the extra fuel around.

Right now, I'm showing about 3/4 full of last year's gas with no issues or concerns.

I didn’t know it when I posted my original, but you answered the real question I had which was how best to manage my fuel supply. If you run on year old gas without an issue, then I’m trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist. I love it when that happens. THANK YOU!

Tak

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom