Eastern Long Island Anchorages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimL

Vessel Name
Lemon Drops
Vessel Make
2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
We plan to anchor out this weekend to escape the craziness. The forecast calls for a 8knot west wind Saturday moving to a 7knot north wind Saturday night and into Sunday.

Our home port is in New London, CT. We're thinking of three locations and would like the benefit of anybody else's' experience:

Watch Hill, RI anchorage
West Neck Harbor on Shelter Island, NY
Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island, NY

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks - Jim

We like the anchorage off Napatree Beach right before you get to Watch Hill, great beach and easy dinghy ride into WH. In the other direction, in the probably unlikely chance you haven't been there before, the Thimble Islands are beautiful, you'd think you were in Maine somewhere rather than LIS.

Hi Jim,

We also like the Watch Hill/Napatree anchorage. However Coecles is our favorite anchorage.

Rob

Three mile harbor also a good choice

Might also want to try West Harbor on Fishers Island. Stonington Harbor is also nice but the anchorage has gotten mighty skinny.

Rob

Rob,

We anchored at the Stonington Harbor anchorage two Saturdays ago for lunch, and found private mooring balls and markers everywhere. When we were there last summer we didn't see as many mooring balls - very little. I wonder if the anchorage has changed?

Jim

Last edited:
All great anchorages. I usually avoid West Harbor in a North wind but it may be ok if light. Some other options for you on the eastern LIS are:

Mystic River just North of Mystic Seaport.

Niantic River is a best kept secret and very nice.

East Harbor on Fishers Island

v/r
Will

Napatree sucks in a north wind IMO, but 7 knots would be ok.
Three Mile is a great choice in most winds. And no one goes there.
West Neck is nice but very small.
Coecles harbor and Sag Harbor are awesome. IF you can get under the fixed bridge at Sag that is (20 ft).

Rob,

We anchored at the Stonington Harbor anchorage two Saturdays ago for lunch, and found private mooring balls and markers everywhere. When we were there last summer we didn't see as many mooring balls - very little. I wonder if the anchorage has changed?

We used to anchor between the mooring field and breakwater. Now we use a club mooring as it has been difficult to find a spot I feel is big enough.

I agree with Willpep about north of Mystic Seaport and the Niantic River.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
FISHERS ISLAND SOUND:

Napatree Beach (Watch Hill)
-> Good in Winds SW; S; SE; E
NOTE: Gets crowded

Sandy Point (South)
-> Good in winds NW; W; WSW
NOTE: Local knowledge on approach, skinny water. Review charts and depth sounder carefully. Look for where the large boats are located.

East Harbor (Fishers Island)
-> Good in Winds E; SE; S; SW

Rams Island
-> Good in Winds NW; W; SW
NOTE: Gets wake traffic on weekends. You can't go ashore.

Flat Hammock
-> Good in winds S; SW; W; WNW
NOTE: more popular with day boats or 'lunch hooking'.

7 knots is pretty benign.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom