Oil on the deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
After reading countless treads and a few books on the subject I decided to Oil the deck. And I love it ! The deck was not in all that great of shape, missing bungs were replaced but I decided not to sand/bleach. Just a gentle cleaning two days before with soap and water. I know it will be an endless process now that I started it. But its covered 99% of the time.
Now to let it dry and add a few more coats.

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 50
  • deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 55
  • deck2.jpg.jpg
    deck2.jpg.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I like it. I'm doing the same thing when I finish the caulk job. Thinking about doing the hand rails also, sick of varnishing over and over but don't want to paint it. A lot easier to clean and oil!

I am painting mine, right over several layers of Sikkens. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it done.

pete

That dark deck is fine up there, but if you did it down here, as I mistakenly did once, you would live to regret the huge increase in heat on the deck - no barefooting until it all went back to natural silver of aged teak.

That dark deck is fine up there, but if you did it down here, as I mistakenly did once, you would live to regret the huge increase in heat on the deck - no barefooting until it all went back to natural silver of aged teak.

Good point, and the hotter it gets, the more quickly the oil goes away!
I’m a big fan of plastics... just sayin’

I used to oil my fathers teak when I was a kid. I used to have to hose it down, powdered teak cleaner, then scrub brush, rinse, then once it dried, oil. It seemed like I was doing it constantly, but was honestly probably only once a month. It used to look great. I have no external teak on my boat now.......I wonder why??

I was wondering if teak oil (or anything else) could work as a sufficient sealant to ward off the dreaded Taiwanese deck rot. My FB deck and fore deck were replaced with epoxy and glass with Kiwi Grip. The side decks and cockpit are all that remain of the original wood and are still solid (knock on teak). Is there any possibility that a product might seep down into areas and seal out water, protecting against future problems? I'm not a big fan of finished teak decks, but if it protects both the teak and what's under it, I'm all for it.

Oil looks great when it it is first applied. We used oil on our first boat. After a couple of weeks it would start to get black in the grains, plus all the time it tracked into the boat.
Not a fan of oil. We like the weathered look washed (hosed not scrubbed) down occasionally with salt water.

Doesn’t the oil attack the sealant? And you get black stuff living on your deck.

It may also be slippery in bare feet when its wet?

It most definitely will not stop deck rot! Taiwanese trawlers are infamous for that and need aggressive repairs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom