Replace engines in GB 42?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
Still searching for a Classic 42 to purchase. I am thinking ahead about worst case scenarios. Guess I am a bit gun shy. Suppose I buy a 42 with say Cat 3116 engines. A lot of these boat have many hours on them and eventually they will reach the end of their useful life. What do you do then? Can you perform some sort of overhaul on these Cats? I have seen rebuilt engines on the internet for 15 -20K. But to replace 2 engines on this boat has got to be a major PITA. Have you heard of this being done? Any stories ? What would you guess this would cost?

I have done a lot of work in a Classic GB 42 that has twin Lehmans. The engines could be removed through the side door with the appropriate rigging and lifting equipment. A 3116 can also be in-frame rebuilt, although there isn't a lot of room to work in a GB 42 engine room to do that kind of work, I'm sure it's been done though. It might be cheaper to in frame than remove them, you'd have to compare the cost of a mechanic working in tight quarters vs. the boat yard building the proper rigging to remove and reinstall the engines.

I wouldn't worry about the engine's life until you have a specific vessel with specific engines to analyze. A GB 42 probably wasn't run hard and I would generally suspect it has thousands of hours of engine life left in them.

David

There are lots of other things to worry about than an engine replacement. Have a mechanical surgery done and understand that each bad engine will run you around $20,000.

Don't buy a boat with one or more bad engines unless it is damn near free..

pete

A 3116 is pretty basic to assess. No matter how many hours on it, if it checks out well, you can have about 80% confidence it will give you another solid 10yrs. Some repairs, some maintenance of course.

And that is if it is run easy. That engine does not like running hard and to push a 42GB on plane, gots to be dang near full power. But even if the prior owner ran it like that, if it checks out well now, you still have plenty of good life left.

I actually consider that engine one of my faves. It just does not like running near full power. Run it at hull speed and it is usually a winner.

There are lots of other things to worry about than an engine replacement. Have a mechanical surgery done and understand that each bad engine will run you around $20,000.

Don't buy a boat with one or more bad engines unless it is damn near free..

pete

Pete, what kind of mechanical surgery have you had done???

My take is that you're over thinking it.

Find the boat that's right first. Worry about the engines after you found the right fit.

..Find the boat that's right first. Worry about the engines after you found the right fit.
:thumb:. Finding the right GB42 is task enough. Adjust price for what you find with engines, age, hours, condition,etc. Lehmans could be a good find.

Take Ski's advice, he's a well respected pro mechanic FYI. The key is to have a mechanic with references, who is experienced with the engines in the boat, and surveys them as part of his services, do a complete survey before you finalize the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom