Cruise Ships prohibited entering Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roddy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4387
Don't think boarder is going to open any time soon...

Cruise ships with overnight accommodations allowed to carry more than 100 persons are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters until October 31, 2020.
As of July 1, 2020, all other passenger vessels must follow provincial, territorial, local and regional health authority requirements for timelines and processes to resume operations.
Passenger vessels with the capacity to carry more than 12 persons continue to be prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters (including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik and the Labrador Coast) until October 31, 2020.
Beginning July 1, 2020, passenger vessels will be allowed to operate in inland rivers and lakes in the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon.
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-...in-canadian-waters-up-to-october-31-2020.html

There clearly needs to be reforms for health standards on cruise ships. I would be ok with them be being denied to load or unload passengers in the USA until new standards are enacted.

Ted

What about this makes you angry? It sounds more than reasonable to me given the situation that existed with cruise ships and COVID. What I mean by that is not only did they end up with many cases, but they kept on taking passengers long after it was obviously not prudent (even on ships that had infected crew or virus from the previous sailing).

Or are you mad because it's too lenient toward the cruise ships?

Hand washing has been a big deal on cruise ships for some years. They have also required a health-question inquiry concerning bowl movements before boarding. Have not experienced those procedures for airplane flights, where passengers are all crammed together for hours. Betcha most all of the VIRUS came from airplane passengers, not cruise ships. (Most cruise-line passengers use the airlines to meet their ships.)

...Betcha most all of the VIRUS came from airplane passengers, not cruise ships. (Most cruise-line passengers use the airlines to meet their ships.)

Do cruise ship staff get paid sick days?

I’m not mad at anyone.

But perhaps there shouldn’t be any cruise ships at all. Until we have control over the virus’s. Just too many people confined in a place where they can’t leave. Just presenting the question.
As it is one needs too much luck to board.

Welcome to Haines AK? It was OK in 2019.

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 60
Welcome to Haines AK? It was OK in 2019.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

What I do know is that you won’t see that in Haines this year. No big cruise ships in SE this summer, and probably very few of the smaller ones as well.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

What I do know is that you won’t see that in Haines this year. No big cruise ships in SE this summer, and probably very few of the smaller ones as well.

Obvious that they aren't welcome now.:facepalm: You need more time to get used to me.

Last edited:
Obvious that they aren't welcome now.:facepalm: You need more time to get used to me.

It’s been a tough day for me today, I actually got out of pajamas, and it all went downhill from there.

Just getting my cruise fare refund. No way would I be signing up for another at this stage, maybe never.
Free unlimited service at the onboard Medical Center, free helicopter Medivac, free Hospital treatment onshore OR, free coffin and Burial at Sea Ceremony (with Wake:)) sound more enticing than the Drinks Passage. Waiting for an enterprising cruise company to offer it.

Hand washing has been a big deal on cruise ships for some years. They have also required a health-question inquiry concerning bowl movements before boarding. Have not experienced those procedures for airplane flights, where passengers are all crammed together for hours. Betcha most all of the VIRUS came from airplane passengers, not cruise ships. (Most cruise-line passengers use the airlines to meet their ships.)

How about health care screening for all employees before each new trip. How about sanitizing boats between trips. How about figuring adjusted capacities to comply with social distancing in areas like dining rooms. How about air purification for rooms with hundreds of people.

Ted

How about health care screening for all employees before each new trip. How about sanitizing boats between trips. How about figuring adjusted capacities to comply with social distancing in areas like dining rooms. How about air purification for rooms with hundreds of people.
Ted

All the above are a good start!:dance:

Greetings,
Mr. OC. That would cut into the profits and drive some companies out of business. Fewer companies, less competition, higher prices.

I'll ask again...paid sick days for cruise ship workers?

Sick leave? I just read an article that more than 100,000 crew members are stuck at sea on those ships around the world. Let’s figure out a way to get them home. We’ll save the sick leave discussion when the cruise industry gets going again, if it ever does.

Sick leave? I just read an article that more than 100,000 crew members are stuck at sea on those ships around the world. Let’s figure out a way to get them home. We’ll save the sick leave discussion when the cruise industry gets going again, if it ever does.

Those stuck at sea will not find their solution here on the forum.

I don’t know why this is a surprise to anyone, especially on this coast.

I think BC and AK are more on the same page than the self-indulgent cruise companies and their clients. I don’t believe either can be trusted to do right, by the people of BC and AK.

By geography alone, Alaska has self-isolated and have the best stats of all states. Their COVID defenses are more aligned with BC than other states and AK will continue to have a 14 day quarantine in place for some time.

The latest phase of Alaska’s reopening, which began May 22 is very similar to BC with one glaring exception; America’s number one pastime is in fully operational again…the buffet.
Hand washing has been a big deal on cruise ships for some years. They have also required a health-question inquiry concerning bowl movements before boarding.
Yeah, like Charley Cruiser is going to be honest about those two functions.

Last edited:
Cruise ships have been floating petri dishes since long before Covid-19...beginning when they started carrying thousands of passengers instead of hundreds.

--Peggie

By geography alone, Alaska has self-isolated and have the best stats of all contiguous states. Their COVID defenses are more aligned with BC than other states and AK will continue to have a 14 day quarantine in place for some time.

Best of all contiguous states? But they aren't a contiguous state. Just 48 of them.

Best of all contiguous states? But they aren't a contiguous state. Just 48 of them.
Thank you very much for pointing out that enormous fail.
I've gone back and corrected my paper, can I hand it in again and go home now?
:angel:

Thank you very much for pointing out that enormous fail.
I've gone back and corrected my paper, can I hand it in again and go home now?
:angel:

Wifey B: I'm taking over since this became a school thing. Now that you've corrected it, you can go home. :D

Actually both Hawaii and Montana have had fewer cases per capita than Alaska. Alaska has the fewest total cases, but also very few people. In deaths per capita, Alaska is the lowest.

My question was directed to Mark, who suggested Covid-19 on cruise ships is more a function of people catching it on the flight to the cruise than on the cruise itself.

Point being, the workers are on board for months at a time, and I doubt the cruise lines pay their wages while off on sick leave...this would result in staff working while sick and then infecting passengers.

Must be a soul crushing job...they "look" so happy when you first go aboard, then the life fades from their eyes as you near the finish of your cruise.

You don't even get days off. Most people sign a 6-12 month contract, and work every day of it, and there's no such thing as an 8 hour day. When I worked on ships, my department had the most liberal time off policy of all of them. We would accrue 1 day off (unpaid) for each week worked. We would generally work for 14 weeks, and take 2 off.

As for sterilizing the ship between cruises, that will be difficult when you only have a 5 or 6 hour turnaround between cruises to get 2,000 people off the ship, and another 2,000 people on the ship.

Most of the money on cruises is made on board the ship, not by the purchase price of the cruise, so even if you cut the capacity in half and double the price of the cruise, the cruise line will lose money. Without a vaccine, the cruise industry is going to be hurting.

All of a sudden everybody seems to be a subject matter expert on cruise ships.

If you don't know the facts, it's better to refrain from saying/writing anything.

Cruise ships have only accounted for 0.07% of all Covid-19 cases.

Cruise ships happen to have the highest and most strictest of standards in the hospitality industry, much higher than any hotel, restaurant, theme park and the likes.

As a matter of fact the US Navy recently requested through the CDC if they could use the health and sanitation protocols in use by the cruise industry to fight the Covid-19 outbreaks on their ships.

And yes we continue to get paid when we are sick on board.

We have very strict standards when it comes to ARD, ILI and AGE. Any crew member showing any signs of the aforementioned diseases is right away treated, isolated and being monitored and cared for so as not to spread the infection on board.

The US is probably the country that was the least prepared to deal with a pandemic but they still keep blaming everybody else including the cruise industry.

Last edited:
All of a sudden everybody seems to be a subject matter expert on cruise ships.

If you don't know the facts, it's better to refrain from saying/writing anything.

Cruise ships have only accounted for 0.07% of all Covid-19 cases.

Cruise ships happen to have the highest and most strictest of standards in the hospitality industry, much higher than any hotel, restaurant, theme park and the likes.

As a matter of fact the US Navy recently requested through the CDC if they could use the health and sanitation protocols in use by the cruise industry to fight the Covid-19 outbreaks on their ships.

And yes we continue to get paid when we are sick on board.

We have very strict standards when it comes to ARD, ILI and AGE. Any crew member showing any signs of the aforementioned diseases is right away treated, isolated and being monitored and cared for so as not to spread the infection on board.

The US is probably the country that was the least prepared to deal with a pandemic but they still keep blaming everybody else including the cruise industry.

Regarding your information:

It's has been well documented that when contagious diseases / virus occur on cruise ships, the high population density often infects many people. As Covid19 is high contagious, what procedures will the industry put in place to make sure passengers and crew don't bring it on the ship?

Since the ships lack proper medical facilities to treat the virus, should they be liable for impacting remote area medical evacuation facilities? If a ship is bringing thousands of people to a remote town in Alaska, shouldn't they be liable for impacting and possibly contaminating the town's limited medical facilities?

While cruise ships may claim to have higher standards than others in the hospitality industry, there inability to get customers to an advanced medical care facility in hours certainly requires different standards. When the virus started infecting cruise ships, delivery to advanced medical facilities was measured in days and weeks. Clearly going forward, the industry needs to have independent insurance to reimburse medical facilities when they have to offload critical care patients that became infected as a result of their business model.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom