BC Residents Covid-19 Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Last edited:
Australia has the tracing app, over 6 million downloads, though Android phones seem to work better with it than I Phones. So far I`ve not heard reports of a successful tracing but about now would be right. There were also problems with battery use, the phone being turned off, and the App being in the background whatever that means.
However anything that might help is worth doing, and the bugs will surely get fixed.

I have not downloaded a contact app because I have not heard what the authorities are going to do with the info. How long will it be stored? Who has access to it? How is access to the data protected?

If the NSA (National Security Agency) can be hacked, it must be relatively easy to hack into wherever that data will be stored.

I have not downloaded a contact app because I have not heard what the authorities are going to do with the info. How long will it be stored? Who has access to it? How is access to the data protected?

If the NSA (National Security Agency) can be hacked, it must be relatively easy to hack into wherever that data will be stored.

Check Australia's app, it's been up & running for a while now.

On the survey I indicated I'd be interested in downloading the app onto my phone. Will look at the restrictions on who has access to what & for how long, then will make a decision. If it looks okay I'll gladly give up some of my anonymity for the greater good.

Besides, companies, agencies, and others already know more about you than you probably care to know!

Years ago I was part of a group opposing a huge industrial project in my home town. (It didn't get built) I tried Googling myself to see what was "out there" when things were at their hottest and found a photo of myself on China's state controlled news service. The link to the story was something like,
blahblahblah/security/blahblah.whatever so if "they" are keeping tabs on a nobody like me, there's no such thing as anonymity anymore.

Last edited:

No risks there :blush:, apparently Amazon are involved in storage for Australia :).
I think we copied New Zealand, they`ve been in the forefront of combating Covid. Manual tracing is very time consuming and remembering every contact for 2 weeks is fraught with difficulty. No leaks here that I know of, but no celebration of how it has worked.
My State had 3 new cases yesterday, all returnees being held for 2 weeks in enforced hotel room quarantine. At present we are getting it at the source, ie overseas, before it gets to the community. Which limits the work of the App.

I also agreed to take part in research
Filled out survey including care number.
This gives access to medical files related to covid 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom