New to the forum, looking to take the plunge soon. Endless boat searching currently

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a life long sailor, but am getting the bug to do the Great Loop in the next 5 years or so. I live in the Annapolis, MD area and have endless cruising opportunities after the loop to enjoy the Chesapeake specifically and the East Coast more generally.

My biggest issue to trying to find a model boat that is within my price range while still acceptable to my bride. She is not interested in a project boat or a boat that has a dated interior, that has had me looking in the early 2000s for models. Example: She loves Helmsman (43/44?) and Sabre Salon Express 48 neither of those are in our budget. (Our friend has the Sabre 48, his depreciation from buying new to trying to sell now after 4 years is more than my budget for a boat lol).

Currently it seems like the Mainship 40 fits the bill, she also likes the Beneteau Swift Trawler.

I am specifically looking engine information for those models (Yanmar vs. Cat vs. Cummings) and I am sure there are tons of opinions but would love some first hand experiences from folks with knowledge of Mainship or the Swift Trawler lines. I personally have been impressed with the Bayliner 40+ foot boats as well, but need to find an example of one in good condition to show her to see if she likes the layout.

Cheers,
David H.

For health reasons, we're selling our '06 Ocean Alexander. Yammers with about 1200 hours. Don't know your budget; we refurbished her extensively when we bought her in fall 2018. She's on Yachtworld listed with our son. Located Hampton, VA.

bnoft, beautiful boat, unfortunately it appears that boat is not 'loop' able (and is outside my range). I am sure she will sell quickly, the pictures are really stunning.

Since in doing the loop or cruising the Chesapeake shore you probably don't need speed. So focus on the newer moderately powered trawlers like the Mainship 40 rather than the Sabre Express type of boat. A length of 40' is perfectly suitable for a year or so of looping. The single Yanmar 370 will push her up to a cruise of 10 kts or cruise more economically at 7-8 kts.

In so far as engines are concerned Cummins would be my first choice, Yanmars (except for the notorious 6LY2 440 hp engine) second and Cat last, but not by much. Any of these will give you good service if maintained and operated conservatively.

David

Welcome aboard. Of the three engine manufacturers you listed, my preference would be Cummins no question. Good luck in your search, and have fun doing it.

Back
Top Bottom