Found this thing in the aft Genset area?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

While doing a routine inspection of the generator area on the aft deck access area (2006 Mainship 400) I found this little thing...Looks kinda important,

Maybe a fluid Bleed line cap or a drain cap?....

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_182401.jpg
    IMG_20200530_182401.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20200530_182434.jpg
    IMG_20200530_182434.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20200530_182418.jpg
    IMG_20200530_182418.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 80
The last picture is kinda fuzzy. Is that a pipe plug screwed into a pipe coupling?

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. j. Kinda hard to tell with the corrosion. Soak it overnight in table vinegar and take a couple more pictures. One end seems to be a F threaded fitting but I can't figure out what the smaller end is.

more pics

more pics, i think you are correct, maybe an end of a pencil zinc?

Attachments

• 20200530_215631 (1).jpg
    20200530_215631 (1).jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200530_215608.jpg
    20200530_215608.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200530_215639.jpg
    20200530_215639.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Looks like a grease nipple?

Hard to tell, but the unthreaded end almost looks like a worn down anode.

In any case, this doesn't look like something that broke off recently based on the level of corrosion.

IMO, where I would start looking is on the raw water system on the generator. Specifically, I would start at the heat exchanger and look for the anode holder.

My theroy is that it might have been removed and was misplaced. A replacement was installed. And finally that one rolled out from where ever it was hiding.

Ted

Looks like the fitting on the Generator HE for the pencil zinc with a tiny piece of zinc still in it.

Whatever it is keep it, it can have some value if you sell it as a fossil from the trawlaric era :)

L

If it were a zinc cap wouldn't it have male threads on it to screw into the cooler or whatever it's protecting?

How big is it? Maybe a photo with a tape measure in it by the item so we can get an idea of size.

It is called a “daymn, dropped it into the bilge” thingie. It’s always nice to have a spare to install.

Greetings,
Mr. (saint) tt. MY thoughts exactly. NO external threads. The "nub" at one end and internal threads at the other prompted me to suggest cleaning it up to see if the "nub" is integral with the fitting or a separate piece that has broken off something. Looks a bit like a bicycle valve cap (Schraeder style) although the internal threads seem, too small for that.

iu

These photos were just posted over on the DeFever FB page. On top (green) and bottom (brown) of the rudder shafts. It's been suggested that one is for the packing and the other is the upper bearing grease nipple. Does this look like what you have? Maybe check your rudders?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1591305434125.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591305434125.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 43
  • FB_IMG_1591305440561.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591305440561.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
ok, will do thanks....i was under the impression they were left over pencil zincs

Greetings,
Messrs. m & j. BOTH zinc holders and grease nipples have external threads as far as I have ever seen. Only threads visible on our mystery object are internal threads. I would still suggest to Mr. j that he soak the do-dad in vinegar or an acid to remove the verdigris to potentially make identification easier. As mentioned, a know object (quarter/dime) shown beside the object will give a relative size.

RT, I think the second set of photos posted may show a two-part piece. It could be that the fixed screw in base has been knocked off, and the external screwed in nipple with it.

Here are some updated pics after some cleaning ...IMG_20200605_104502.jpgIMG_20200605_104446.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. j. Thanks so much for your efforts. I'm still at a loss as to what it may be although I feel fairly safe in saying it is NOT a "zinc" holder or a grease fitting. Hmmm...

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Might be but but it's the tapered end that still has me scratching my head. Again, might be a threaded male that has eroded/corroded to the taper shape but it looks too uniform to be that.

I'd say, close but no cigar...yet.

iu

Does the hole go completely through the fitting?

Maybe one type of these:

iu

Last edited:
I have to vote for the standoff nut. From years of working in electronics the top end is bang on for a standoff.

It's hard to tell from the photos if the taper is uniform or looks to be corroded.

"Usually" a standoff has the same male and female threads (at least in electronics) does it look like the "tapered" end is the same diameter as the female threads? Not a definitive trait, but if they look to be the same it leans hard to a standoff.

Greetings,
Mr. tb. Welcome aboard. Yup, it's that taper that's got me bamboozled. It just looks TOO uniform to be corrosion.

In the OP's first two pictures there is a definite delineation/line between the areas of light and heavy corrosion suggesting to me that the female threaded end had been immersed in water up to that "line" for quite a period of time allowing heavier corrosion on the exposed but wet tapered end.

I'm not familiar with the Mainship 400 but I suspect the genny may be housed in the lazerette. Is there anything ELSE in there that's mechanical? Hydraulic steering parts? A/C unit, perhaps? Pumps?

Is the bilge in that area connected to the whole boat bilge? Might our "mystery object" have migrated from forward perhaps (traveled through limber holes)?

Or maybe, just maybe it was dropped into the bilge 15 years ago by a person or persons unknown and you've just found it now...

2k5zva.jpg

Someone improvised a pipe cap using a pipe coupling and a pipe plug.

Did you check your rudders?
I'm with Menzies on it. Has to be a grease nipple for mine...
The clue is the dimple in the end of the tapered part. I bet if you pushed hard on that with a pointy something, it would go into where there is a spring-loaded ball-bearing thing...?

Last edited:
Whatever it is keep it, it can have some value if you sell it as a fossil from the trawlaric era :)

L

Excellent, but I’m afraid he may have devalued the item by removing its ancient, validating patina.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom